TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Back End Baskets vs Roof Top Carriers vs Utility Trailers Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
peaceful warrior Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:37 am

joetiger wrote: It needs 14" Vanagon alloys too.

LOL! I have an extra set of steelies with new tires, am thinking of swapping over to them.

Mikeyb Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:53 am

Awesome. A little paint job, same colors as your Van, and you're set! Congrats! 8)

DAIZEE Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:01 pm

I've pretty well decided on a front platform(maybe small box) and same on back. That way weight is distributed and I don't have to worry about towing. I think if I fit bicycle whips (with red flags) and 4 corners, I should have no problems.

peaceful warrior Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:24 pm

Mikeyb wrote: Awesome. A little paint job, same colors as your Van, and you're set! Congrats! 8)

Aye! Thank you JoeTiger! It'll look like a shorty Vanagon.... :lol: One of my club members is picking it up Monday, and I will be going up to CS to get it in a few weeks. Can't wait!

Now all I gotta do is sell the vintage 58 Heilite single wheel tent trailer I bought a few years ago.....Anyone interested?, it's a deal at the price I have it at. New canvas, new vinyl cover, kitchen box and two cots. Check my ads. :wink:

Simba, seems like you are going to have a interesting set up. I am curious to see it, once you get it done!.......and no bicycle flags, make it a set of VW flags. :wink:

DAIZEE Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:32 pm

hmm that gives me an idea. 4 whip flags, one VW, one Vanagon, one Cda and the 4th???? mmmmchief cook and bottle washer. Yes I can make it interesting. :lol:

joetiger Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:19 pm

I was looking around at cargo bags earlier and found this thing:

http://www.rightlinegear.com/cargosaddlebag.html

It's inexpensive and looks like it could maybe be modified to work on a Westy.

Slow day at work.

singler3360 Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:31 am

Anyone have a pic of this installed on their van?
EDIT: Would this interfere with the rear wiper?

Ryan Pruden Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:10 am

heres my custom swing out box that i made last year. I should of put a receiver in the bumper thou, but i didnt want to cut the chrome bumper.

goffoz Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:42 am

What about a single wheel trailer
http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel46.html
best and worst of both worlds.. :lol:
I have a friend with an old splitty and an original helite, He's been cruising in it for years and loves it

Jake de Villiers Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Ryan Pruden wrote: heres my custom swing out box that i made last year. I should of put a receiver in the bumper thou, but i didnt want to cut the chrome bumper.

That's a very nice box! We've been using this for a couple of years now to hold the camping gear and its worked very well for us.

joetiger Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Another interesting rear cargo bag...This one mounts to the hatch, not roof rails. Just for soft gear though:

http://www.aeropack.com/

Jake de Villiers Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:41 pm

joetiger wrote: Another interesting rear cargo bag...This one mounts to the hatch, not roof rails. Just for soft gear though:

http://www.aeropack.com/

I like it! I still prefer the Rubbermaid for its free-standing-ness. It will also fit in the luggage rack if you can stand the noise and the mileage hit.

dubbified Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:58 pm

I have front/rear Rockymountain twin peak bumpers.. I'm rigging for a much longer trip, where we're packing alot into/onto the van and wanted some options.

I'm presently in design of two apparatus for additional storage, in the front for a small scooter (yamaha Zuma/similar) perhaps some additional storage..

The rear, is being designed to be multi purpose.. a disconnectable 2ft deep platform nearly as wide as the van, which I can slide pneumatic wheels onto, or utilize as a platform for hangin out on the back hatch open.. when mounted, can be used to toss the cooler on, other storage, firewood, etc..

My design will bolt into the hitch, secure into the rear D ring brackets for stability.. when swung open will have spring pins which make the swingout stay open in a couple positions. The swingouts will have adjustable feet which acts somewhat as a outrigger, stabilizing the vehicle somewhat. The front apparatus will also have the same.

One swingout will offer a tire mount, gascans, the other swingout will be a ladder/gascans and hold the bikes.

When I buildup the swingout uprights, they will stand straightup, then match the angle of the rear hatch, so the tire will lay back toward the hatch just a tad, as well as the ladder, offering a neutral weight onto the swingout, and the tire will sit closer to the window, cans or lockbox will mount to the backside of the upright, above the bumper.

Been reviewing DIY bumper, DIY swingout manufacturer, can get the swingout bearings for about 40$.

I'm not jazzed by the atypical swingout latch/hasp designs which are kinda unsightly, been looking at high security hasps where the key goes up into the lock.

The cool thing, is that when I dont want to use this, I can disconnect the whole deal. The idea is that this swingout will be modular, and not used when in city, can be easily disconnected when needed.

danfromsyr Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:03 am

Didn't know where I should post this thread I found in a Jeep Forum.
but an economical idea for those who want a cheap DIY (w/o welding) roof cargo rack

Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/diy-roof-rack-1174670/

Jscherb wrote: Here's a design that might give you some ideas... this one can be made very inexpensively from two Harbor Freight ATV Cargo Racks. Mine cost about $75 (the racks were on sale plus the 20% off coupon on each so they cost me $30 each), plus the $15 XJ Cherokee roof rack that's mounted on the roof.

It's actually a drill-and-bolt fab job, there's no welding or complicated construction or tools required. If you need more details or info let me know.

I've tested it with more weight than it would be safe to drive with, but that doesn't mean the factory hardtop would be capably of the same weight capacity, my hardtop has brackets that support the roof rack directly on the roll bars