TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137, 138  Next
cab57 Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:22 am

Hi everyone,

what is the right grease nipple for a 59 front axle ?

I found this but no picture in thesamba :

N 18 530 1 - Grease nipple A 10 up to Chassis No. 3 338 657

Thanks
Chris

bwaz Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:24 am

bwaz wrote: found an old thread from 2008 that sheds some light...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

There are some conflicting numbers... as the Samba shows the last car in July 1957 as serial number #1600846.

I've seen it elsewhere as the first car of August was #1600440. On this site from 2002, https://web.archive.org/web/20050114173130/http://www.squarewindowregistry.org/featured/2002-08/
It shows a square window beetle with vin 1600831, which is before the 1600846 shown on the Samba?

According to the VW brochure "what year is this"

it shows the last beetle in July 57 as being 1600439. That would make more sense if the first square window is VIN 1600440.

For Body numbers, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
shows a VIN #1603965 (august 8th 1957), with engine #1952180 (matching nr's!) with body stamp number of 9013.

And interesting too that Progressive Refinements shows in their engine section, that a change to the oil bath cleaner August 1 showing a vin of 1600440.

sweden Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:51 am

The steering column is same up to 1957 and then itīs different 1958-1959

The only difference is the flair at the wheel side where the bushing is mounted for the steering wheel.

The steering wheel shaft is the same between 1949 to 1959-08-06 ch-nr 2528668.

hsosa1 Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:51 am

Gas tank on a 59 l358 garnet red
Anyone know the correct gas tank color Iíve seen black ,anthracite and red I think the red was a resto. Thanks

sweden Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:55 am

L21 is correct color.

Cointelpro Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:33 pm

My 59ís back seat rails have seen better days. Didnít know about them until reading this forum. Iím missing two of them. Iím betting they are impossible to find.

hsosa1 Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:40 pm

Cointelpro wrote: My 59ís back seat rails have seen better days. Didnít know about them until reading this forum. Iím missing two of them. Iím betting they are impossible to find.
Wolfsburgh west repops them

jack1448 Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:18 am

hsosa1 wrote: Cointelpro wrote: My 59ís back seat rails have seen better days. Didnít know about them until reading this forum. Iím missing two of them. Iím betting they are impossible to find.
Wolfsburgh west repops them

check Samba ads - here are a couple:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2343055

Bug-nut Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:37 pm

Cointelpro wrote: My 59ís back seat rails have seen better days. Didnít know about them until reading this forum. Iím missing two of them. Iím betting they are impossible to find.

Probably a dumb question that Iíll get roasted for but Iíve gotta ask - what are the rails for? Iím guessing to help stiffen up the back so you can fold it down and pile luggage on it? Iíve never seen them before (my Ď59 doesnít have them, probably removed by a PO) and now Iíll have to hunt some down for mine.

Cointelpro Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:15 pm

Bug-nut wrote: Cointelpro wrote: My 59ís back seat rails have seen better days. Didnít know about them until reading this forum. Iím missing two of them. Iím betting they are impossible to find.

Probably a dumb question that Iíll get roasted for but Iíve gotta ask - what are the rails for? Iím guessing to help stiffen up the back so you can fold it down and pile luggage on it? Iíve never seen them before (my Ď59 doesnít have them, probably removed by a PO) and now Iíll have to hunt some down for mine.

Not a dumb question, I was wondering the same thing. But your idea is the same I had.

berpsta Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Quote: Here's the updated version with information from the other registry combined

How do I get my beetle details on this??

wiferdill Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:36 pm

Anyone with an original 6 volt electrical system can probably relate to the marginal starter performance. Would increasing the gauge wire on the starter help it spin faster or easier? A larger wire would carriy more volts and amps. I'm sure this question falls into the, "if it were true, someone would have already done it", category, but I have to ask. All my connections are clean and the battery is nearly new, but it almost doesn't start every time.

Thanks

berpsta Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:15 pm

Can anybody help ID/date my indian Red beetle please

Dibaltic Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:25 am

August of '59 for the body. As for the pan is it possible its on a ghia pan? Looks like it'd be a Dec '57 ghia pan possibly?

berpsta Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:01 am

Dibaltic wrote: August of '59 for the body. As for the pan is it possible its on a ghia pan? Looks like it'd be a Dec '57 ghia pan possibly?

Iím hoping itís not a ghia pan otherwise Iíve bought a proper Frankenstein would the body even fit a ghia pan?

Dibaltic Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:55 am

berpsta wrote: Dibaltic wrote: August of '59 for the body. As for the pan is it possible its on a ghia pan? Looks like it'd be a Dec '57 ghia pan possibly?

Iím hoping itís not a ghia pan otherwise Iíve bought a proper Frankenstein would the body even fit a ghia pan?

I believe it would if they changed the rear crossmember that goes in front of torsion housing, and the floor pans..

Could also be a Sep 57 type 1 pan.

pdxeuro Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:41 pm

Hi all,

Wanted to get your expertise here. 59 bug chassis with one bad pan on the passenger side, but otherwise very little rust. I think the drivers pan is fine enough, and have a Master Series grey primer and black topcoat kit, but I did a little crappy-old-primer scraping today.

I donít see any pinholes, but definitely surface rust to maybe a little deeper under here. The underside is all rubber truckbed liner so itís unclear what itís like under there. I will probably get the whole thing sandblasted soon and see better, if this COVID19 outbreak subsides anytime.

Question is, based on what you see here, would you just suck it up and cut out this pan also, or will Master Series taste care of this level of rust?

Anyone not replace and then regret it later?

hsosa1 Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:44 am

pdxeuro wrote: Hi all,

Wanted to get your expertise here. 59 bug chassis with one bad pan on the passenger side, but otherwise very little rust. I think the drivers pan is fine enough, and have a Master Series grey primer and black topcoat kit, but I did a little crappy-old-primer scraping today.

I donít see any pinholes, but definitely surface rust to maybe a little deeper under here. The underside is all rubber truckbed liner so itís unclear what itís like under there. I will probably get the whole thing sandblasted soon and see better, if this COVID19 outbreak subsides anytime.

Question is, based on what you see here, would you just suck it up and cut out this pan also, or will Master Series taste care of this level of rust?

Anyone not replace and then regret it later?

leave that pan alone change the other pan . Side note leave the carpet tabs alone on the drivers side. New pan donít come with the carpet tabs.

sunroof Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:57 am

Quote: Anyone with an original 6 volt electrical system can probably relate to the marginal starter performance. Would increasing the gauge wire on the starter help it spin faster or easier? A larger wire would carriy more volts and amps. I'm sure this question falls into the, "if it were true, someone would have already done it", category, but I have to ask. All my connections are clean and the battery is nearly new, but it almost doesn't start every time.

There is something wrong with your system. With a fresh battery mine spins over for hours no problem. The first thing I would check is the starter bushing. If it is worn the starter will drag and make it seem like a low/dead battery.

Don

Chickensoup Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:28 am

berpsta wrote: Can anybody help ID/date my indian Red beetle please

Your pan is a little on the satanic side i see :shock: :shock: :evil: or at least i hope not :D