TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Auto Lift Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
cwaalen Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:06 pm

I was wondering if you had a chance to buy a lift for your shop would you get a two post or a 4 post so if need you could store a car above and park one below, can anyone tell me is there a benefit to the two post the kind where that arms swing in our out, hope someone can help figure this out?

Chris

thanks in advance if you give me any feedback

Russ Wolfe Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:04 pm

the 2 post are better for working on cars. You have clearance under for working.
The 4 post, you have to still jack up the car to work on brakes and such, plus the rear cross bar is in the way for pulling ACVW engines and transmissions.

G-wood Todd Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:50 am

I've spent many years under a lift. I've always used a 2 post for both VW's and other autos. If I were to buy one I would buy a 2 post. Once you get used to working on a lift you'll never go back to working on the ground. Just my 2 cents.

Russ Wolfe Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:39 pm

My knees are getting too old to kneel down anymore. 50 years of working on cars.
I just laid down my money on a scissors style. They gave a 20% discount, and a 2 year warrant.
It will be here a week from Monday.

The Sage Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 pm

Damn Russ, you need to negotiate for me...

As safe as this probably is, I would get under one of these...

cwaalen Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:32 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: My knees are getting too old to kneel down anymore. 50 years of working on cars.
I just laid down my money on a scissors style. They gave a 20% discount, and a 2 year warrant.

The only reason I was looking at a four post lift was also for additional storage with one car up when not driving but see your point on a two post, thanks for all your comments!

Chris

Russ Wolfe Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:27 pm

cwaalen wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: My knees are getting too old to kneel down anymore. 50 years of working on cars.

The only reason I was looking at a four post lift was also for additional storage with one car up when not driving but see your point on a two post, thanks for all your comments!

Chris

I have a friend that has 6 4 post hoists for his collector cars. He loves them, but he does not use them for service work. He has a 2 post for that.

wcfvw69 Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:39 am

Russ Wolfe wrote: My knees are getting too old to kneel down anymore. 50 years of working on cars.

Which one did you purchase Russ?

cwaalen Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:48 am

cwaalen wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: My knees are getting too old to kneel down anymore. 50 years of working on cars.

Chris
Ya that was what I wanted to do, but looks like it will be a 2 post for now the four post just would have made more room is all! thanks for your input!

Chris

Russ Wolfe Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:20 am

wcfvw69 wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: My knees are getting too old to kneel down anymore. 50 years of working on cars.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46604

Got it for $943 with tax and shipping, from my local store.

benny27 Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:08 pm

I wish I had the extra $$ to get a lift.
I would get the maxjax portable lift. But at $2000 it is going to be a long time.

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/index.html

wcfvw69 Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: wcfvw69 wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: My knees are getting too old to kneel down anymore. 50 years of working on cars.

Cool, you'll have to come back and give a review of it.

Mr. Unpopular Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:31 am

cwaalen wrote:

Chris

I've had a 2 post lift for about 7 years now, and I frequently have a car on the lift and another car under it. Why do you think you can only do this with a 4 post?

In fact, my friends LS2/Procharged RX7 is in the air and my rail buggy is under it as we speak (type?)

mrm2you Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:39 pm

i have a 4 post that i also built extensions for the legs.now i have over 7 feet of clearance they make a jack that will lift the vehicle when it is on the lift. i hunted for months and finally got mine cheap on craigs list.

waxhead Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Anyone else bought a lift recently? I'm assuming the Harbor Freight ones are made in China. How's the quality?

Koffer Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:22 am

waxhead wrote: Anyone else bought a lift recently? I'm assuming the Harbor Freight ones are made in China. How's the quality?
Almost all lifts are made in China

I bought a 2 poster a few years ago from this place http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/ They have a stocking showroom DE (no sales tax) and will load it right onto your trailer . You can get a eyeball on it and try it out before buying . The fit and finish is great on them . They also have parts if needed.
My brother just got one there this summer for this business ,works great and he uses it at least 20 times a day .
Read their web site under "other info" too.

The best is they are close to you will work with the price also .

HTH some

Russ Wolfe Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:18 am

I had to repair the exhaust on my VW Fox, the other day, when it was down around 0*F. The scissors hoist is kind of slow when it is that cold.
I did get the job done.
And it was better than laying on the cold concrete when it is that cold.

CLASSIC CAR GUY Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:48 pm

Russ Wolfe wrote: wcfvw69 wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: My knees are getting too old to kneel down anymore. 50 years of working on cars.

I have both types of lifts in my shop, but prefer the 2 post for a VW, the Scissor lift is perfect for a VW I have one at my house!! unlike regular cars where you do need access to some things under the middle of the car where this lift is not so good for, this lift is perfect for bugs

CLASSIC CAR GUY Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:01 am

Florida_Buggy wrote: cwaalen wrote:

Chris

I've had a 2 post lift for about 7 years now, and I frequently have a car on the lift and another car under it. Why do you think you can only do this with a 4 post?

In fact, my friends LS2/Procharged RX7 is in the air and my rail buggy is under it as we speak (type?)

Personally leaving a any car for a long period of time suspended on four small points on a two poster is not the best idea, had a 68 Roadrunner on a lift for 2 weeks yrs back doors never closed right after that and there have been others stories that i have heard over the yrs, just not a big fan of leaving them on there for a long time. Over the weekends at my shop i make my guys drop the cars and put them on the ground over the weekend if there on the lift, even if they just get some of the weight back on the suspension

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:08 am

I agree 2 post for working 4 post drive on for long term storage. The only concern about installing any 2 post lifts in a residential garage is the thickness and rating of concete needed to properly secure the 2 post lift to the floor. I have a 4 post drive on in my main garage, but my next lift will be a 2 post lift outside on a concrete pad under a roof awning extension. I am fortunate to live in an area where the weather is bareable most of the time.