TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: non marring hammers
SGKent Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:17 pm

I wanted to share this as some of you may be interested in this for your VW tool kit. As most mechanics know there is a time and a place for soft non-marring hammers. My brass hammer has seen its day (photo below) and for some time we have been looking for a replacement but the Harbor Freight and Chinese hammers really turn me off. I am not going to hit a piece of steel on my bus with a brass hammer of unknown hardness. I really wanted an American made lead one but sometimes lead is too soft and sometimes brass is too hard. If you haven't used a soft hammer - it is essential when driving things like old bearing races etc because the brass or lead deforms rather than the part you are trying to knock loose. Another situation is driving off a torsion arm etc where one doesn't want to deform the arm - we got one replacement torsion arm from a Samba retailer that looked like someone had pounded with a steel sledge on it and that damaged it - Anyway, a garage forum I belong to had a post the other day from a fellow member who found a deal on soft hammers. American Hammer got tired of the high prices that some places are selling their hammers - too much markup. If you go to say Graingers etc the prices are outrageous for an American made soft hammer. So American Hammer decided to sell a limited amount of theirs directly for $25 a piece shipped if they are under 2 pounds in exchange for a little word of mouth. I followed up on it Monday and today two outrageous soft hammers arrived for $50 shipped to my door. They are beautiful. If you need a new soft faced hammer and are willing to share a couple testimonials get ahold of Ted at American Hammer and see if they still have the factory direct $25 promotion going.

See the promotion over at ToolGuyd http://toolguyd.com/2010/02/any-american-hammer-under-2-pounds-for-25-shipped/

My old worn out brass hammer

The new toys that came in tonight - steel and aluminum handles - wow!!

millerje78 Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:25 pm

those are some nice looking hammers. you stole those at 25 bucks a piece! great buy!!