TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Barndoor specific or not? Page: 1, 2  Next
Lowdown Dirty Rat Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:04 pm

As I try and collect the missing parts for my build I often have questions about where to get parts and are they specific or not?
instead of opening hundreds of Little threads and to help restorers like me (works along with the repo sticky thread).

So just post them in here for quick answers or maybe links to relivent threads.

Lowdown Dirty Rat Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:10 pm

First up.
Cargo door rods. I assume these are barndoor specific like the rest of the door parts but I can't find them for sale anywhere and would thought, as they were on all barndoors, that they would be an easier part to find?
Can I use split rods?

Deluxe coat hooks. Bd only? And if so how?

EverettB Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Deluxe coat hooks are the same up to 58 as far as I know

jingram Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:14 pm

And brake parts. I happen to be at the stage where I'm trying to replace most of the braking system. So, what about......
Master cylinder
front and rear wheel cylinders
brake shoes
backing plates
and, of course, brake drums
(I'm assuming lines and hoses are not BD specific)
Are any of these parts interchangeable with later model VW bus or other type vehicles? Or, are they BD specific. I don't need to be BD era correct with my braking system, unless there is no other option.
Thanks,
Joe.

Rusting Hulk Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:12 pm

You may get the information you want from here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48738

Lowdown Dirty Rat Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Nice, cheers

now why are those rods no where to be seen. They are barndoor specific right?

Tonny_Larsen Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:58 pm

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote: Nice, cheers

now why are those rods no where to be seen. They are barndoor specific right?

Sorry for my English. but what is a rod :?:

-Tonny

53kombi Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote: First up.
Cargo door rods. I assume these are barndoor specific like the rest of the door parts but I can't find them for sale anywhere and would thought, as they were on all barndoors, that they would be an easier part to find?
Can I use split rods?

Tonny, click on this link. He is referring to the parts numbered 69, 70, 77 and 78.
http://www.oacdp.com/5054part/312.jpg

Tonny_Larsen Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:07 am

53kombi wrote: Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote: First up.
Can I use split rods?

Tonny, click on this link. He is referring to the parts numbered 69, 70, 77 and 78.
http://www.oacdp.com/5054part/312.jpg

Yes, they are barndoor specific.

-Tonny

Lowdown Dirty Rat Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:19 am

Crap, thought so.
I'll keep looking

52panelvan Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:16 am

To be fair either set on the doors wouldn't be hard to make if you got stuck.

barndoormambo Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:10 pm

LOL! Mark, NOTHING would be hard for YOU to make! :wink: :D 8)

BUCIOBATISTI Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote: As I try and collect the missing parts for my build I often have questions about where to get parts and are they specific or not?
instead of opening hundreds of Little threads and to help restorers like me (works along with the repo sticky thread).

So just post them in here for quick answers or maybe links to relivent threads.

To be honest, I think it might be easier to make a list of parts that are the same as post Barndoor Buses. Most every single part is different in at least one small way. Frequently you can use a later part as far as function is concerned but to be technically correct the parts are nearly never identical to later ones.

Aaron Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:27 pm

EverettB wrote: Deluxe coat hooks are the same up to 58 as far as I know
I thought pre-'53s had coat hooks that looked similar but were smaller and made of chromed pot metal?

EverettB Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Aaron wrote: EverettB wrote: Deluxe coat hooks are the same up to 58 as far as I know
I thought pre-'53s had coat hooks that looked similar but were smaller and made of chromed pot metal?
This would not surprise me, pictures from anyone appreciated.

Lowdown Dirty Rat Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:10 pm

Aaron wrote: EverettB wrote: Deluxe coat hooks are the same up to 58 as far as I know

:shock: :roll: OMG

Aaron Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:50 pm

EverettB Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:23 am

I've seen those but are they actually correct?
I wasn't sure if it was just random non-VW stuff being passed off as VW.

Long-roofs Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:28 am

I have a set of the chromed ones like yours Aaron, does yours have a part number? I can't find any numbers on mine.

Drew Ogden Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:35 am

These are on my Jan 51 standard. There are three of them, in the usual mounting places. Maybe they are original, maybe added later??? My guess is that they are original to the bus...

Hornbeckers 52 Dlx has regular BD coat hooks , so it's not a pre-53 thing. If they are a VW part at all, its a very early part. Early photos would help to figure this one out. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic.