TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1954 RHD Barndoor, field cart. Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
limeybish Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:28 pm

I just thought i should put some stuff up on my barnny, bought from Rick in Melbourne, Australia. this i believe was a farm cart on a property somewhere in Australia ,it had been stripped of everything. Trying to find out where it originally came from and who owned it. As far as I am concerned this is going to be one resurrection. Photo's to follow

kombicol Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:05 pm

Some pics would be nice...
Have you asked about it on DSK?

limeybish Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:09 pm

cant seem to log on there??photos in gallery.

kombicol Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:45 pm

Damn! Looks like we have a new contender for the crappiest barndoor...

Got any pics of the 'bad' side?

I have 2 words for you sir, Klassic Fab

limeybish Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:15 pm

sorry just trying to work out the photo down load thingy??will try to upload pictures as i go! ,On to the klassic fab man gerson ,thanks.

Gyro1780 Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:32 am

Well you have plenty of work there. Very best of luck with the resto. Please keep us updated with the pictures etc.

BUCIOBATISTI Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:29 am

kombicol wrote: Damn! Looks like we have a new contender for the crappiest barndoor...

It needs some work but it is very very far from the crappiest Barndoor. Just ask some of the Brits who cried their eyes out when they bought "bargain" South American Barndoors without knowing exactly what they were getting into.

Patty B. Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:08 am

:shock:
"watch this topic for replies" --it's gonna be a good one!! 8)

tstracy39 Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:38 pm

BUCIOBATISTI wrote: kombicol wrote: Damn! Looks like we have a new contender for the crappiest barndoor...

It needs some work but it is very very far from the crappiest Barndoor. Just ask some of the Brits who cried their eyes out when they bought "bargain" South American Barndoors without knowing exactly what they were getting into.
I agree, clearly not the crappiest Barndoor. Plus, it's RHD. Don't listen to haters that are all butthurt they didn't get to it first and don't take your eyes off the prize. There are plenty of threads around for inspiration, the Kempes panel comes to mind.

Concept1 Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:35 pm

It's bad, but it's fixable.

The A and B pillars look fairly straight.

I'd say 300-350 hours of metal work. But I'm no expert.

Find a decent later model panel with a straight roof for a donor. Get that straightened out, welded on and cut the chassis out from under it afterward.

splitpile Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:35 pm

kombicol wrote: Damn! Looks like we have a new contender for the crappiest barndoor...

contact [email protected]

BUCIOBATISTI Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:16 pm

It's also a factory safari windowed Bus for a bit more cool factor. I agree, find another Bus with a good roof clip. Keep in mind that Wolfsburg Buses have a broader rain gutter channel than Hanover Buses just in case you are paying close attention to the minutia.

limeybish Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:16 am

I believe this is the link to the photo's I promised. As to the answer to your questions, It would be great to just put donor roof on but the vehicle has been sitting so long that the a and b pillars have rust all the way through them and also the van had been picked up with a forklift through the window, ans had been rolled at some stage. They had thrashed it to death. Every single good bit has gone but have ordered all panels and it is now stripped to the frame. http://www.flickr.com/photos/limeybish/

RockStock Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:45 am

Concept1 wrote: Find a decent later model panel with a straight roof for a donor. Get that straightened out, welded on and cut the chassis out from under it afterward
limeybish wrote: have ordered all panels

Patty B. Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:35 am

You really gotta want it!!!!

Hats off to you!

barndoormambo Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:47 pm

RockStock wrote: Concept1 wrote: Find a decent later model panel with a straight roof for a donor. Get that straightened out, welded on and cut the chassis out from under it afterward
limeybish wrote: have ordered all panels

Now THAT's fUK'd!! :shock: :roll:

limeybish Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:52 pm

thanks for all your support,thanks again for your comments, the way i look at it ,is its just a big jigsaw puzzle, awaiting to be put back together?plus its a right hand drive 11 window barndoor,how many are there out there? alot less than lefttys?and i would say this would be a lot rarer ??and still was made in germany.?true or not true???

nzvwfan Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:11 am

Good on you never say die

LAGrunthaner Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:32 am

Wow I just finished looking at 90+ photos on your photo site and this is going to be an awesome build. What year is she and what brand plasma cutter are you using. Keep up the good work you look like you have a great plan and that this will not be a sleeper as you are working very quickly. I look forward to more updates 8)

Rick Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 am

:shock: Nice! I admire your tenacity. It's hard for me to keep motivated sometimes, even on the easy projects I do. So when I see something like that it is inspiring. Get at it!!!