TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Espar diesel fuel heater basics Page: 1, 2  Next
J Charlton Sun May 02, 2010 6:19 am

I've waded through the search function with no luck so I'll post here and tap into the collective wisdom before I tackle this one.
I just got an '88 German military commuications T3 van - 25000 Km total and it has a diesel furnace.
It came with virtually no paperwork, and I have no idea how the furnace works or is controlled. I'd like to hear from some folks who are familiar with the Espar units . I'll take some pictures and post later today
Thanks

DAIZEE Sun May 02, 2010 6:26 am

I know that this isn't much but a lot of big sailboats use espar furnaces.

Alaric.H Sun May 02, 2010 6:35 am

I have one what model is yours

Captain Pike Sun May 02, 2010 6:36 am

Bentley

syncroserge Sun May 02, 2010 6:45 am

If it's factory installed then it is a Webasto DBW 46. The differences with
an Espar are minimal.

I posted 2 documents on the Webasto in the Files section of the
Yahoo Group, Diesel Vanagon. If you're not already a member just
register and you'll get access.

If it is an Espar I also have Installation/Operation documents for that.
Let me know if you need them.

Where are you located? I am near Calgary and have repaired and installed
both Webasto and Espar in Vanagons so I can help if you need it.

J Charlton Sun May 02, 2010 7:29 am

A few pictures - I don't know where I would look for the model number.

Thanks

?Waldo? Sun May 02, 2010 9:12 am

I have the same stock furnace installed in one of my vans. I have not yet tried to use it as I would like to go through it and make sure it's up to snuff first.

Syncroserge, I have looked at the files on the Diesel-Vanagon Yahoo group site and my heater does not physically look like anything represented in those files although I will admit that I have not inspected it closely. Are you sure that's the right model? When it stops snowing here today, I'll go take a closer look at the unit under my van.

J Charlton Sun May 02, 2010 9:55 am

Andrew - you're joking about the snow - right? Its about 75F and beautiful here in the Great White North.
Maybe it is a Webasto - I can't see anything on it in the way of make, model etc - but I'm probably not looking in the right place.

?Waldo? Sun May 02, 2010 10:04 am

Nope, the white stuff falling from the sky in May is nothing to joke about...

J Charlton Sun May 02, 2010 11:27 am

Andrew A. Libby wrote: Nope, the white stuff falling from the sky in May is nothing to joke about...

Well - maybe not for you - but its pretty funny from here!!

Vanagonner Sun May 02, 2010 11:28 am

J Charlton wrote: Andrew - you're joking about the snow - right? Its about 75F and beautiful here in the Great White North.
Maybe it is a Webasto - I can't see anything on it in the way of make, model etc - but I'm probably not looking in the right place.
Your heater looks just like the factory optional diesel heater that is in my '82. The great Eberspacher Heizungssteuergerat. You can see the name and relay panel if you remove your glove box and look under the dashboard on the right side.
I haven't gone thru mine yet, though it is all there and wants to start. I would appreciate a write-up on the re-furb if you get to it first.

jarad Fri May 14, 2010 7:06 am

i just found out that i have the same heater on my 82 westy. too cool, if you ask me. the diesel feed line that t's off of the main fuel line isn't hooked up right now, but i hooked up the pumps and have it a quick dry run, and the timer works and the fan was blowing :shock: . i'll have to replace the fuel lines before i try to really run it. one question i do have.....it seems that heat comes out of the vent between the two driver seats, but is the other outlet(under the van) an exhaust?

the caveman Fri May 14, 2010 10:00 am

First off , yes the pipe underneath towards the rear is the exhaust. As you said replace the fuel lines. The next thing is to clean the connections at the glow plug and grounds that attach on the heater and body. They are probably somewhat corroded. It did all that and it lit up after a couple of minutes with tons of hot air from the foot well vents but mostly from the vent under the driver's seat and towards the rear from the passenger floor vents. However if i turn it all the way up[ knob turned completely clockwise ] there is a slight combustion [or something] smell. I took it apart last year , figuring i would find a hole or corrosion in the chamber, but it was completely air tight. I haven't put it back in yet, but while i was there i cleaned the temp sensor as well as possible. One of the wire ears broke off, but i resoldered it and covered it in a thin coat of epoxy [ originally it comes with some kind of coating so i used what i could to replicate it. I checked and it still reacts with heat so i hope it still works ].

mark23 Thu May 20, 2010 11:10 pm

Just start getting into the heater under the rear bench the other day. Looks to be intact. The digital controller seems to function fine just need to connect the fuel lines ? Any suggestions ?

dcheek Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:17 am

I have an '82 Diesel Vanagon with the Eberspacher DA6 Diesel furnace. I found on the Internet a detailed repair manual for both the DA6 (Diesel) and BA6 (Gasoline) which I downloaded as a PDF file. The only problem is that it's in German. Does anyone have an English version? Or, can someone translate what I have into English then post?

If anybody wants a copy of what I have just send me a message and I will E mail the PDF file. If nothing else there a numerous diagrams that would help with set-up and repair.

schmidm90 Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Hey Guys!

I just pulled the heater out from under my 82 Westy. It was completely full of acorns and 2 dead mice... The rear blower is completely seized and I have not tried to start the fuel pumps.

the one upside is that the switch in the front seems to work.. I will do some more investigation on the rest of the wiring this week. Hopefully it does not take too much to get it running again. If you have any manuals that would help I would greatly appreciate it!! Unfortunately the Bentley manual does not have too much info on this.

Also does anyone know if parts are still available for these??

THanks

dcheek Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:41 am

schmidm90 wrote: Hey Guys!

I just pulled the heater out from under my 82 Westy. It was completely full of acorns and 2 dead mice... The rear blower is completely seized and I have not tried to start the fuel pumps.

the one upside is that the switch in the front seems to work.. I will do some more investigation on the rest of the wiring this week. Hopefully it does not take too much to get it running again. If you have any manuals that would help I would greatly appreciate it!! Unfortunately the Bentley manual does not have too much info on this.

Also does anyone know if parts are still available for these??

THanks

Sent PM

VR6zamboni Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:40 pm

Pretty funny to search this and pull up a thread in which the PO of my van posts:

Quote: i just found out that i have the same heater on my 82 westy. too cool, if you ask me. the diesel feed line that t's off of the main fuel line isn't hooked up right now, but i hooked up the pumps and have it a quick dry run, and the timer works and the fan was blowing Shocked . i'll have to replace the fuel lines before i try to really run it. one question i do have.....it seems that heat comes out of the vent between the two driver seats, but is the other outlet(under the van) an exhaust?

Funny thing too is that I was getting air in my fuel lines because of holes in the lines of the heater system. So I disconnected the T that the PO now obviously put in. Solved the air in the lines problem.

Looks like I have a good start on getting it working again! I hope.. Will see what happens and keep you posted.

outcaststudios Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:15 pm

top. did amyone ever find a manual for this? i have a diesel cabin heater (doka 1.6 td)under th rear bench and it looks to be in good shape but i have no idea how to get it running? there are two blower switches on the dash and they both blow air, but the rear does not blow heat. any clues?

and i found this thread that is super helpful:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=571586&highlight=diesel+cabin+heater

Vwdanwa Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi everyone, I just got my Da6 working, but it smells rich on low and smokes inside the van on high. It sat for over 15 years and was full of acorns.the tailpipe is also missing. Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?