TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cheap DIY grey water tank Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
presslab Mon May 03, 2010 1:35 pm

I wanted a grey water tank but eurocampers has been out of stock forever, so I decided to make my own.

For the tank I used 6" PVC sewer pipe with two end caps. The sewer pipe is light weight and perfect for the job. I drilled and threaded the end caps - on the rear side a 3/4" NPT at the bottom. On the front 3/4" NPT and a 1/8" NPT on the top. The rear is the drain, using some 3/4" pipe and fittings, with a garden hose ball valve. The front has a 1/4" vinyl vent hose that goes up above the gas tank and terminates inside the front fender.

I redid the drain for the sink because the stock one drained slowly even with the vent. This is because of the small hose size and that there are now two traps. I found some fittings to go from the stock strainer basket to a 3/4" vinyl hose. The hose then goes through the hole in the floor, around the frame member, and up to the tank. This creates a trap so you don't get any smells.

The tank is just under 5 gallons capacity which works well for me. I have a filter on the faucet, and I drink the water, so not all 10 gallons will go into the grey water tank. On my recent road trip I put the fresh water tank into the red indicator ( < 2.5 gal I believe) and the grey water tank was not full.

It doesn't hang very low, it's above the propane tanks by probably 3/4".

rockfish Mon May 03, 2010 2:00 pm

Nice work!

I use a filter on the end of the hose when I'm filling my water tank - that way the tank stays relatively germ free as well.

A year ago I found this gray water system - but I believe yours to be much more economical!

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4757889&showprevnext=1

DAIZEE Mon May 03, 2010 2:34 pm

I like that and very few corners for collecting stagnant water. Great thinker!

If you made one or two black ones to fill and put on your roof when parked you might get a solar shower. Just a thought. Would only have to fill them when stationary.

noganav Mon May 03, 2010 8:20 pm

Super clever. Nice work!

DAIZEE Tue May 04, 2010 3:57 am

oops didn't read grey still neat

presslab Tue May 04, 2010 9:08 am

Thanks guys. It gives me peace of mind knowing that I'm not messing up the camp site for the next person.

stevey88 Tue May 04, 2010 9:30 am

Can you post drawings that show where the inlet, outlet and the vent is located ?
Thanks

vweggie Tue May 04, 2010 9:54 am

DAIZEE wrote: If you made one or two black ones to fill and put on your roof when parked you might get a solar shower. Just a thought. Would only have to fill them when stationary.

I saw many DIY solar showers like this when I was in Australia.

chimivee Tue May 04, 2010 10:42 am

Great work on a very clean install! I've considered this very project many times, while strolling down the plumbing aisle. I finally ended up buying the EuroCampers unit a few years ago... but have yet to install it. :oops: I almost like yours better for its ingenuity. :)

DAIZEE Tue May 04, 2010 10:53 am

I use a pail for sink water. I also have a tall pail with seat and lid that I recycle thru the (a) washroom.

You are very talented AND I suspect that a grey water tank will become mandatory at some time. They brought it in for marine activity years ago. Your design really simplifies things. =D>

presslab Tue May 04, 2010 11:24 am

stevey88 wrote: Can you post drawings that show where the inlet, outlet and the vent is located ?
Thanks

The drain is at the very bottom, that's easy. Here is a diagram of the inlet side:

And two closer pics:

Classicvibe Tue May 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Love it, great work! I have been considering this for a plumbing system I am considering for my weekender-this is extremely helpful. Great mod!

wolfej1 Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:55 pm

DAIZEE wrote: I like that and very few corners for collecting stagnant water. Great thinker!

If you made one or two black ones to fill and put on your roof when parked you might get a solar shower. Just a thought. Would only have to fill them when stationary.

Yes that is a good idea...still have not done it yet though :D

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=309438&highlight=

Birdmanhere Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Would there be any issues using this type of tank used for the sink water supply?

I only have ever used my sink for dishes/wash water and brushing my teeth, and I usually with sanitize the tank (bleach & rinse) every time before each trip. We drink out of water bottles camping.

Oh yeah, it will be in a 66 westy with an early bay Icebox sink unit. I had the bay tank in there until last weekend when i went to fill it up and it just flooded the bus (split the seam on tank), and plan on putting a truck fridge in the unit too now. It already has a 12v pump instead of the hand pump
You Vanagon guys always have the best solutions for mastering space and function.

foodeater Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:15 pm

I wouldnt want to drink out of a PVC tank (the water would likely taste how the PVC smells), but it would probably be okay, for washing dishes. Not sure about tooth brushing.

Birdmanhere Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:57 pm

foodeater wrote: I wouldnt want to drink out of a PVC tank (the water would likely taste how the PVC smells), but it would probably be okay, for washing dishes. Not sure about tooth brushing.
Yeah that what I was sort of thinking although the water in the stock tank already taste like plastic after a day or so

presslab Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:35 pm

I found these three contimanates of PVC pipe:

Antimony
m-Chlorophenol
Cyclohexanone

Looks like an activated carbon filter will remove these effectively. I know PVC pipe is approved for drinking water. I think it will be ok but I suggest you use a filter.

chazmataz Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:38 am

nice work! i;ve been thinking about doing something for a grey water tank. the one that came with my van is from gowesty and i haven't been able to get it to drain very well. i have been watching for the eurocamper to get in stock but i like your idea and its pretty simple.

so i think i may do something similar to what you have done instead but i may tweek it a little.

chaz

Jon_slider Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:07 am

> I wanted a grey water tank but eurocampers has been out of stock forever, so I decided to make my own.

you do fantastic work!
sell a kit :-)

for solar shower, you can use clear PVC. Bottom half painted black.

link to commercial solar PVC shower, and clear PVC supplier:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4760299&highlight=clear+pvc#4760299

you could use the clear pvc to know how full the greywater is too..

climberjohn Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:41 am

vweggie wrote: DAIZEE wrote: If you made one or two black ones to fill and put on your roof when parked you might get a solar shower. Just a thought. Would only have to fill them when stationary.

I saw many DIY solar showers like this when I was in Australia.

A bit off topic, but here is a slick looking solar shower for mounting on top of your rig:

http://www.roadshower.com/

-CJ