TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 2-way windshield washer nozzles that fits - edited Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
stevey88 Sat May 08, 2010 12:09 pm

I have tested the 2-way washer jets from a 76-85 Porsche 911 and they fit without mod. The jets of water can be adjusted to hit the middle of the windshield at the extreme position of the adjustment. You should really adjust it so they hit the top of the windshield at stationary and then the water jets will hit the middle of the wind shield when you are driving at speed.
Cost is $8.25 not cheap but worth it. I have tested only the ones from Pelican parts so nozzles from other vendors may be different. Part number is 914-628-203-11-M78

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_inf...1976-85%29

Edit:

The Porsche nozzle stands 6mm above the body panel and the OE nozzle stands 18mm above. So the jets are shooting at the glass at a much lower angle than the OE jets. That make it difficult to adjust the jets as a little angle change will results a big movement of where the water land on the windshield. The van I put the Porsche jets on has the chrome plastic insert and it stick out above the rubber. The water jets just barely clear that molding. You need lots and lots of patience to adjust the jets but you only need to do it once.

Also, the Porsche jets has a smaller base than the OE jet, so it will not cover up the old markings made by the old jets. The ends that goes into the body is exactly the same as the OE jets.

j_dirge Sat May 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Oh NO!

Impulse buy!

Am now $23 poorer.

Hope they work... :lol:

Rhinoculips Sat May 08, 2010 7:55 pm

How about some pics of them installed and in use? Thanks for the post. It's to late for me as I got the 3 jet washers from the UK. $$$$$, but really nice.

tripod808 Sat May 08, 2010 9:55 pm

I was close to biting the bullet for the smart nozzles, I'm glad someone found a cheaper alternative.

Pictures please!

dobryan Sun May 09, 2010 7:01 am

Thanks. Just ordered two! :D

insyncro Sun May 09, 2010 4:26 pm

Good lookin' out.
The whole Smart Car noozle deal seamed like a waste to me.
All that money for something that doesn't fit.
Thanks Porsche.

goffoz Sun May 09, 2010 7:56 pm

just FYI the nozzles from a 1999 and earlier, mercury villagers work well.they stand 2" tall and have adjustable dual sqirters.
(2000 and later have smaller units)
The fit is different but an easy mod.
I snagged both nozzles, all the plumbing with check valves, for $7 from a P&P

insyncro Mon May 10, 2010 5:22 am

goffoz wrote: just FYI the nozzles from a 1999 and earlier, mercury villagers work well.they stand 2" tall and have adjustable dual sqirters.
(2000 and later have smaller units)
The fit is different but an easy mod.
I snagged both nozzles, all the plumbing with check valves, for $7 from a P&P

pictures please.

Classicvibe Mon May 10, 2010 8:09 am

Pictures people! Get out your cameras and snap some pics. "Fit" is a very relative term, as there are many interpretations on just what constitutes a good "fit." The are complicated little buggers...

kevinm Mon May 10, 2010 6:51 pm

How does one remove the existing nozzles without scratching the paint? Do you just slip a thin piece of plastic under them to push in the tabs?

- Kevin

Rhinoculips Mon May 10, 2010 9:22 pm

kevinm wrote: How does one remove the existing nozzles without scratching the paint? Do you just slip a thin piece of plastic under them to push in the tabs?

- Kevin

Clamp onto them with a pair of Vise-grips and twist a quarter of a turn. This will destroy the tabs on the nozzles, so make sure you have a replacement before removing the old ones.

syncrodoka Mon May 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Quote: The Porsche nozzle stands 6mm above the body panel and the OE nozzle stands 18mm above. So the jets are shooting at the glass at a much lower angle than the OE jets.
The van I put the Porsche jets on has the chrome plastic insert and it stick out above the rubber. The water jets just barely clear that molding.
Have you driven the van at freeway speeds and verified that it still works? This is the reason why the cheap 2nd gen SMART car nozzles aren't a good solution.

j_dirge Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:46 am

syncrodoka wrote: Quote: The Porsche nozzle stands 6mm above the body panel and the OE nozzle stands 18mm above. So the jets are shooting at the glass at a much lower angle than the OE jets.
The van I put the Porsche jets on has the chrome plastic insert and it stick out above the rubber. The water jets just barely clear that molding.
Have you driven the van at freeway speeds and verified that it still works? This is the reason why the cheap 2nd gen SMART car nozzles aren't a good solution.
Bump.
Yes.
I installed one on the driver's side. If anything these squirters spray too high and they have to be adjusted down almost to the limit.

Works nicely, though. 6 months or so now.

foodeater Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:46 pm

but still no pictures.

j_dirge Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:19 pm

Sorry..
The van is kind dirty.

Classicvibe Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:24 pm

So, it looks like a narrow window to clear the molding and still hit the windshield? Easy adjustment? The $60 ones sold by another Sambanista rise like 3/4" to clear that molding hurdle. Comments? Also, how do we find that squirter? Thanks for the update!

foodeater Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks.

jerrydog411 Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks a bunch ... I ordered a couple of pairs for my & my buddy's van.

Cheers,

John

j_dirge Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Classicvibe wrote: So, it looks like a narrow window to clear the molding and still hit the windshield? Easy adjustment? The $60 ones sold by another Sambanista rise like 3/4" to clear that molding hurdle. Comments? Also, how do we find that squirter? Thanks for the update!
Exactly.
Yeah.. it takes a couple trial and error adjustments.. but you'll find the zone.
The particular part and the supplier is linked up in the first post. (Thanks Steve88!)

stevey88 Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:06 pm

j dirge,

With only one dual jet installed, how can you stand it with one side of the windshield can be washed cleaner than the other side ?

BTW, what is ' Outer Sunset " ? I go to 30th X Ortega all the time.