TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 3 spare tire tool kit Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
notchboy Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Not unknown :wink: Its just a "Hazet' labeled one like they do with the metal bug ones.

Its a T3 tool box as well but believed to be the later type - late 60s?

blackdog1999 Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Sorry, I did not mean unknown as in "never seen before". I meant unkown as in unknown to the "total count of".

I am in the market for the later VW 1500 style though. I would love to complete my collection of the plastic toolkits. :D

blackdog1999 Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:27 am

Thought I would revive & update this thread. I have purchased another type of Hazet round plastic Tourist 2 tool kit. It is a type not shown in this thread. There are pics of at least one other like it though on this site in the gallery. This now makes 4 different types of these plastic spare tire tool kits.

1. Early smooth VW 1500 kit
2. Ribbed VW 1500 kit
3. Ribbed Tourist 2 with interior like kit 2
4. Ribbed Tourist 2 with "Porsche" style tools

KTPhil Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:49 am

Did they ever make a Type 3 kit to fit the later style wheels?

notchboy Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:22 pm

What one is the porsche? Middle?

Phil they sit on the inside of the spare so I believe these fit 4 lug.

notchboy Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:25 pm

Do I have a Porsche one?

KTPhil Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:22 pm

notchboy wrote: What one is the porsche? Middle?

I often see them like this, so I assumed maybe they clipped onto the wheel using the same clips/bumps that the hubcaps use. Maybe not?

blackdog1999 Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:04 pm

KTPhil wrote: notchboy wrote: What one is the porsche? Middle?

I often see them like this, so I assumed maybe they clipped onto the wheel using the same clips/bumps that the hubcaps use. Maybe not?

These Type 3 kits fit into the back side of the rim. They are much bigger than the type in your pic.

blackdog1999 Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:06 pm

notchboy wrote:

Do I have a Porsche one?

Jason,

I am guessing this style is a Porsche kit as the spark plug wrench & the yellow handle pliers are just like some of the other Porsche tool kits I have seen from the 1960's. Your kit specifically has the wrong pliers & is missing the points file.

How many of these plastic kits do you have now? Or did you sell off all of the others you had & just have the one in the latest pic? Also does your kit have the sticker on the inside of the lid? My sticker is missing. Would love to get a copy made.

notchboy Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:10 pm

I own just this one now. All the ones I have owned have not had a sticker.

Ah ha its fun to speculate. I just wish we had a hazet catalog pic?

blackdog1999 Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:23 pm

Here is the other one from the gallery that I mentioned. It has a sticker. Mine has residue from were a sticker was.

notchboy Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:53 pm

blackdog1999 wrote: Here is the other one from the gallery that I mentioned. It has a sticker. Mine has residue from were a sticker was.

Maybe those yellow grip type pliers are Wrong? The pic above has the regular pliers like mine?

blackdog1999 Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:00 pm

notchboy wrote: blackdog1999 wrote: Here is the other one from the gallery that I mentioned. It has a sticker. Mine has residue from were a sticker was.

Maybe those yellow grip type pliers are Wrong? The pic above has the regular pliers like mine?

I do see that in the pic but I know of 4 of these kits other than your & all of them have the yellow grip pliers.

notchboy Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:11 pm

I do like that sticker.

Four others all with the wrong pliers? :wink:

blackdog1999 Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:32 pm

They might not be the wrong pliers. Maybe they just have accessory grips. :)

notchboy Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:45 pm

Can you get a pic of the file?

notchboy Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Are we sure a file goes next to the wrenches? On the sticker it kinda looks like the feeler guage like in the rectangle box type?

blackdog1999 Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:28 pm

I can not see that in the sticker. I just know that something goes between the 4 little nubs just below the wrenches. The 4 kits I know of all have a fill. I do not think there is enough space between those nubs to fit a feeler gauge set.

Keep in mind that there are 2 different Blue square Hazet tool kits too. One case the top plastic tray for stock tools. The second has Porsche type tools that came in it complete. No need for the buyer to fill with stock tool kit. I do not have one yet but am on the look out. I will see if I can find a pic & post it.

blackdog1999 Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Here is a pic of the different upper tray.

t3kg Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:46 pm

blackdog1999 wrote: These Type 3 kits fit into the back side of the rim. They are much bigger than the type in your pic.

They'll fit into the back of the rim, but they're designed to fit on the front of wide 5 Type 3 rims, and in fact that's the only way to use one in an early Type 34. The back of the spare has to face forward for the wheel to clear the dual horns on pre-1965 Type 34s, before the horns were moved outside. Here's a VW 1500 kit in my '62 Type 34: