TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Super weird brake problem! Im stumped
Badstep Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Recently I thought I needed a new master brake cylender when stepping on the brake pedal I herd a "trumpeting or farting" noise for lack of a better description like the seal in the cylinder was releasing the fluid. I tried to pump the brake pedal up but it only got lower and lower till it hit the floor and no pressure at all I was in a bind and about 20 miles from home so I cracked the lines at the master pumped it retightend them and presto had pedal again. a week passed and the same problem once again so I replaced the master and all seemed fine, Yes I bench bled the new one replaced the resovuar and switches at the same time. all of a sudden the same exact thing is happening with the new parts. I have no leaks and the calipers are in fine working order it seems like im sucking air into a sealed system some how can anyone help me with this problem?

Badstep Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:39 am

no one has any advice in this area?

Randy in Maine Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:41 am

Any change if you remove the vacuum booster line from the engine and seal it up with duct tape?

MarkWard Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:04 am

Did you replace the O ring that goes between the master and the booster?

Badstep Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:18 pm

I have the same problem with or without boost and no I diddnt change the o ring will be trying that tonight thaks, I diddnt think of that!

hdenter Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:41 pm

I don't buy the booster as the problem. The booster, should have no effect on how far the pedal travels. Just how hard it is to get there and stop the car. If the pedal goes to the floor, either the fluid is leaking out somewhere or it is getting past the seals in the master. Just because you replaced it does not mean that the new master is not faulty, too. It could be that the master it's self is leaking at the rear around the piston and filling up your vaccuum booster.

Good Luck!

hans

Badstep Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:18 am

im still freaking out no leaks what so ever and on master # 3 same problem

John Sullivan Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:34 am

It has to be something measurable. Is there air getting into the system? Do you have air if you re-bleed?
Is the reservoir level going down? Did a shoe come off the wheel cylinder and is now just pushing air?
It is a closed system, it can be isolated.

Tully Mars Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:05 pm

Hey Badstep,

Did you ever solve your problem? What did you end up doing?
[/quote]

Badstep Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:48 am

Yes it turned out I was sucking air through one of the new switches on the master Cylinder was a very strange thing that I had never seen before. replaced the two switches and all is good! the thing I found most strange is it diddnt leak fluid it just sucked air I discoverd it when it made a puff of smoke and then lost brake lights, I am sure stranger things have happend but that was the topper for me