TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Go Westy Engines To Canada
westynova Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:46 am

I am looking for anyone who has done a Go Westy engine replacement and brought one in to Canada. I am looking at replacing my 1.9L with a 2.3L or if possible a 2.5L.

How hard was it to get it into Canada?

What else do I have to get to install the engine. (oil pump, injectors, water pump)?

What do I need to go to a 2.5L if I have a 1.9L?

Any help will be appreciated.

Ahwahnee Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:25 am

Your choice but FWIW, going with a 1.9 lump rebuilt as a 2.2 may be much simpler than other upgrades you mention. It is really the same engine with a displacement increase so the same ECU and ancillaries are kept.

In addition (at GoWesty anyway) I think your old 1.9 won't be accepted as a core for the larger engines, thus having you incur a significant core charge.

240Gordy Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:29 am

Tencent has shipped an engine to Canada.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=514460

you will probably end up paying the core charge and the charge for the crate either way.

Gauche1968 Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:47 am

Depending where you are in Canada, you can have it shipped to a package service at a U.S. town near the border, drive down and pick it up there and save yourself a boatload in shipping, brokerage and other associated charges.

westynova Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:45 pm

Good idea about the boarder pick up. Has anyone done this? I am trying to figure out how much it will cost to either have it shipped direct or to the boarder.

It would be good to find out how much brokerage charges are.

photogdave Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:07 pm

Contact Shorepig about dealing with the warranty from Canada!

tencentlife Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:53 pm

The freight charges for cross-border don't cost any extra, the shippers still go by weight, volume, shipping class, mileage, type of packaging (you'll do better with a crate that other things can be stacked on top of than a palleted engine that can't). Canada still adds duty and GST based on invoice, plus the brokerage fees. For me, brokerage has come out to be about 1% of invoice (it's not pegged to percentage per se, that's just how it ended up looking).

If you take delivery in the US and carry across the border yourself, as far as I know all you save is the brokerage fees. But I have to say, as an exporter the brokerage is a great service and well worth it. As an individual, you may see it differently, it''s your time.

The biggest savings come from just keeping the invoice low. That means keeping things like core and crate deposits off of invoice.

tencentlife Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:04 pm

Ahwahnee wrote: Your choice but FWIW, going with a 1.9 lump rebuilt as a 2.2 may be much simpler than other upgrades you mention. It is really the same engine with a displacement increase so the same ECU and ancillaries are kept.

In addition (at GoWesty anyway) I think your old 1.9 won't be accepted as a core for the larger engines, thus having you incur a significant core charge.

Regardless of which block you base the engine on, all your ancillaries will bolt up and work as normal, and either FI system can accomodate those moderate displacement increases. The only exterior difference in the longblocks is the way the intake plenum attaches to the top of the case, and it's not hard to adapt either one to go either way, I do those all the time. I let people run my 2.2's with their 1.9 intake if they wish, they make the same peak hp, the only difference you notice is that the throttle response isn't as crisp. Bigger than 2.2 and I would want the late intake, though.

GW and I both will build only on 2.1 cases and cranks. As I understand it, GW won't give core credit on a 1.9 return. I give half credit because even though I won't be using the case and crank, there are enough other parts on a 1.9 that I can reuse. So if you buy a 2.2 from me but return a 1.9 core, the engine effectively costs $400 more. Whether it's worth returning the 1.9 core to me then depends mostly on how much it may cost you to get it to me.

singler3360 Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:49 am

Bump up in case the new GW 2.4 owner I met in the Banff campground a few days ago is out there and can lend his wisdom. He had his engine and rebuilt transaxle with LSD shipped to Calgary and installed locally.

RCB Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:06 am

singler3360 wrote: Bump up in case the new GW 2.4 owner I met in the Banff campground a few days ago is out there and can lend his wisdom. He had his engine and rebuilt transaxle with LSD shipped to Calgary and installed locally.

I cant really respond with any wisdom except to say an LSD powered engine and drivetrain just might kick ass 8)

brianu Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:48 pm

Check with your local Vanagon mechanics. I know my mechanic (Tony's Auto Service) in Calgary has had GoWesty engines, etc ship direct to them.

markz2004 Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:04 am

RCB wrote: singler3360 wrote: Bump up in case the new GW 2.4 owner I met in the Banff campground a few days ago is out there and can lend his wisdom. He had his engine and rebuilt transaxle with LSD shipped to Calgary and installed locally.

I cant really respond with any wisdom except to say an LSD powered engine and drivetrain just might kick ass 8)

Warp speed would be obtained.