TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fold-up VW mini-binoculars
Thanatos Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:13 pm

Found these near the bottom of a box of random stuff priced at 10 cents today at a church fundraiser yard sale, paid a dime for them and got a beat-up pink Tootsietoy diecast bug tossed in free since I told the cashier that I like old VWs.

Does anyone here know anything about these binoculars, such as approximately when they were distributed, if they were distributed by a certain dealer, VWoA, Volkswagen itself or another VW distributor, and if I got a good deal on these. (Hopefully I didn't screw myself out of a dime by buying these and getting a nearly worthless toy bug for free!)

All of the logos and script on the binoculars are tampo-printed rather than decals, and it is about 2 inches long on each side.

And if anyone wants to see the bug, here it is. Beat-up, yes, but this appears to have been some little kid's favorite toy car a very long time ago.

EverettB Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:32 pm

I don't know anything about those in particular but the logos look modern, maybe 1980s/1990s.

Yanase is the VW importer for Japan I believe?

Thanatos Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:59 pm

EverettB wrote: I don't know anything about those in particular but the logos look modern, maybe 1980s/1990s.

Yanase is the VW importer for Japan I believe?

Thanks, Everett. :)

I'll have to do a little more research, and the Japanese connection is quite plausible, since the church I bought these at has a Japanese-speaking congregation as well as an English-speaking congregation.

EverettB Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:27 am

Type Yanase Volkswagen into Google if you want some info. :)

Thanatos Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:35 am

Thanks again, Everett... a quick Google search shows that Yanase distributed VWs in Japan from 1954 to 1992 and is distributing them there again, thus probably dating this to the late 1980s/early 1990s, and much more. I'll have to bookmark that search to learn more. :)

Does anyone here have any idea if these binoculars are worth more than a dime? :wink:

BWD Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:17 pm

34FraserNash wrote: Thanks again, Everett... a quick Google search shows that Yanase distributed VWs in Japan from 1954 to 1992 and is distributing them there again, thus probably dating this to the late 1980s/early 1990s, and much more. I'll have to bookmark that search to learn more. :)

Does anyone here have any idea if these binoculars are worth more than a dime? :wink:

I'll give you $0.12! :lol:

EverettB Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:34 pm

Judging by some other similar stuff I have "won" on eBay, I'd guess they are worth $5-$10.

Thanatos Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:51 am

Thanks once again, Everett. :)

I didn't get cheated after all, it seems like.

Dustin B Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:43 pm

i would gladly give you $5 or $10 for them since i own a 59 yanase bug. thay would look cool in my glove box.

Thanatos Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:25 pm

sixty7bugin wrote: i would gladly give you $5 or $10 for them since i own a 59 yanase bug. thay would look cool in my glove box.

Thanks... I'll PM you about it. :)

my59 Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Copitar makes binocs. I've seen similar ones on a promotional product website