TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Jack Front of Vanagon?
randywebb Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Is there any place where you can use a floor jack to lift the front of the van (w/o doing it at both sides by the jack points)?

not seeing any options in the Bentley...

an86carrera Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:58 pm

Under the lower a-arm.

Alaric.H Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:03 pm

I have jacked up the van from the cross bar behind the spare tire.
I always use a piece of wood though.

dobryan Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:05 pm

Shoooooot. I thought you were popping a wheelie in your garage while your son measured the skid mark. :shock: :D

hiram6 Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:00 am

Alaric.H wrote: I have jacked up the van from the cross bar behind the spare tire.

Same here. Piece of wood to distribute the point of impact, so to speak.

danfromsyr Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:14 am

generally under the lower A-arms each side then set on a Stand.
but I do have a long reach (HF) Jack that with a made block of wood (Modded 4x4) to fit inside and spread the weight I'll lift by the crossbar near the steering rack.

presslab Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:40 am

hiram6 wrote: Alaric.H wrote: I have jacked up the van from the cross bar behind the spare tire.

Same here. Piece of wood to distribute the point of impact, so to speak.

Again, I do the same with a block of wood. No problems.

Alaric.H Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:42 am

A little off subject but a good jack is one of the best tools you can have I like buying older American models and putting new seals in them they may not be pretty but they will last a long time with home use. I found a milwaukee for 300$ +30 rebuild kit.Lifts to 24in.

ddonnell Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:49 am

Alaric.H wrote: A little off subject but a good jack is one of the best tools you can have

I learned that one pretty quick! Still waiting on some funds to get a floor jack. I used a 4 ton bottle jack from harbor freight. That lasted one lift, then the seals blew out after I put the van on the jack stand. Had to bike 4 miles to pick up another to get the van down.

Lesson learned: $10 bottle jacks from Harbor Freight cut the mustard...once.

Alaric.H Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:14 pm

ddonnell wrote: Alaric.H wrote: A little off subject but a good jack is one of the best tools you can have

I learned that one pretty quick! Still waiting on some funds to get a floor jack. I used a 4 ton bottle jack from harbor freight. That lasted one lift, then the seals blew out after I put the van on the jack stand. Had to bike 4 miles to pick up another to get the van down.

Lesson learned: $10 bottle jacks from Harbor Freight cut the mustard...once. It will do more than cut mustard if you were under it.Don'T get me wrong I love my jack stands but Im guilty of a quick look with out them here and there.

syncrodoka Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:23 pm

How much is a missing limb or finger or your life to you? Definately invest in as good of a jack that you can afford. I shimmied out of the way of a bottle jack failure once and I will never use them again!

Volksaholic Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:40 pm

syncrodoka wrote: How much is a missing limb or finger or your life to you? Definately invest in as good of a jack that you can afford. I shimmied out of the way of a bottle jack failure once and I will never use them again!
I'm not trying to sell bottle jacks, but with any jack you should be well out of the way of danger until the jack stands are in place. Depending on what I'm doing I jockey between the stock jack, small floor jack, HF 12 ton bottle jack I bought to jack up my old house, and an old Toyota scissor jack. Even with the floor jack I keep my fingers, toes, and head out of harm's way until I've got a jackstand or two under there... then if the jack's not in the way for the job is stays with the load relieved. So my response is: the quality of your jack will determine how easy it is to lift and drop the van, but the investment in good jack stands and a means to block the wheels is more important for safety.

If you're on the side of the road using the stock jack, block the wheels well and find a good strategic point to stick the spare or one of your other wheels under in case the van falls. At least someone stands a chance of getting you out while you're still 3 dimensional.

Paul

82WestyMan Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:48 pm

Volksaholic wrote: ... while you're still 3 dimensional.
Now that's the best line,
(and best reason NEVER to get under vehicle that ISN'T on jack stands)
I've heard in long time

syncrodoka Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Quote: but with any jack you should be well out of the way of danger until the jack stands are in place.
Jack stands were being put into place and the bottle jack failed. :shock:
Floor jacks have a wider plate that supports the load better and have a much less chance of slipping also.
Never trust your cheap ass friend's bottle jack. :idea:

Volksaholic Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:34 pm

syncrodoka wrote: Never trust your cheap ass friend's bottle jack. :idea:
Yeah... so true. But really we can't trust any jack. My floor jack is new and okay quality... not great, but I wouldn't be totally surprised to have a seal fail. The 12 ton HF bottle jack slowly drops. The scissor jack is usually light duty... I last used it to position the trans when I pulled the engine. I LOVE VW van jacks... especially the old splittie jacks... but they can twist and roll in the jack point if the vehicle moves.

Anyway, I won't say I always heed my own advice, but generally:
-wheels get chocked/blocked on both sides with 4x4s or my ramps. It amazes me how much you can unweight the front wheels when jacking the back of the car, and how it can roll onto something that's tall enough to stop the car when it's solidly on the ground.
-if the wheels are coming off, the lug nuts/bolts get broken loose on the ground but the wheel stays on until a jack stand is in place
-if I'm changing out a flat, the spare goes under until it's ready to go on the car, then the flat goes under
-if they'll fit, the jack stands go under in their un-extended position, then get ratcheted or pinned to their extended height after the vehicle is lifted. If I'm feeling paranoid, they may get extended partway through the jacking and then again at the end.
-if the jack can stay it does... I just relax it enough to let the stand take the weight, but the jack is another obstruction in case something happens
-if they will do the job, I use ramps and block both wheels that are still on the ground

I've just seen enough stuff shift of fail over the years that having any part of me under a lifted vehicle "gives me a nervous" (as my son said about the sailboat heeling over when he was 3 yrs old).