TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1957 117 my daughter calls jack Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
slow36hp Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:22 pm

figured now that i am actually working on the beetle i would get a topic going for it. i brought this home the last day of 2009 and put it under wraps and by and large havent touched it untill recently mostly as i had a bus to finish immediate loose ends on.

car is a oregon titled to the motor car off the road since the 70s original unmolested car

slow36hp Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:25 pm

the immediate plans are to ge it running and collect for a eventual restore

rud helsen Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:39 pm

nice oval! good luck with it!

love th interior too! :P

ricky.santillan Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:18 am

Nice ragtop too!

Schwing Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:11 am

Slow nice rag! This must be what the sheet metal is needed for, pretty funny since mine is a black with red interior 57 rag as well.

I am cutting the metal off the original door that was on my car but had some hinge issues and some crinkle-age.

Good stuff I wish my oval looked like yours!

slow36hp Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:36 am

thanks guys i have been dying to start working on this one so i started a little bumping and straightening

hood

front clip

passenger fender

drivers side

going to be focusing on driveline this weekend

left_coast*9 Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:01 am

Nice man, I thought you might have a little rag top up your sleeve. Glad to see you've got it posted for all to enjoy. Nice start to a very nice car!

slow36hp Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:13 am

a long way from where you are at but i will get there....gonna have to drive it while i collect parts

aa390392 Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:14 am

good luck and have fun..

slow36hp Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:53 pm

made some more ground on the original motor today. the motor was with the car uninstalled when i got it. very dusty dirty but not oily greasy

after getting flucuating readings checking the end play i thought i should dig deeper. pulling the flywheel i discovered nos blue inkstamped thrust shimms. i scoped the plug hole to see clean crisp cylinders. dropped the valve covers and found no rockers intalled or pushrods. decided i better keep digging

all hopes of a quick assembly and go are now gone.

total crud wall behind the gallery plug. time to start cracking the case

head for 1/2 was upbeat

head for 3/4 just as crisp

once i pulled the cylinders even more evidence the tear down was a good choice it was like this on all 4

got the case cracked all new bearings reqround crank rebushed rods new cam. to clean the case and start putting it back together i got the slide hammer out and pulled all the plugs

went ahead and fit all my new galley plugs as well

hopefully this seattle weather will blow over and i can do some plumbing on the chasis tommorow if not might just start cleaning for my engine reassembly

OvalinAz Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:49 pm

nice car man how did you fix the rip in the fender, Sorry if this is a stupid question, lol

camerod Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:55 pm

WOW you have been making serious progress! nice score on all of the "new" engine parts!

slow36hp Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:32 pm

got a little more forward progress

got the crank set back together with new bearings

number four rod was at minimum side clearance so i had to pull it back off and clearance a little

everything went in clean

i was able to reuse all the original hardware

all sealed up

a few more nice details

.004" thrust

left_coast*9 Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:46 pm

Wow man, I'm impressed, looking good! Wish I had the know-how to rebuild a VW motor. I'm sure I could teach myself how to do it with all the good books, videos, etc. out there, but still. If I had the OG motor to my car, I think I'd do it. Since that's not the case, I'm going with a 2276! Nice work man, keep it up. My build has been slowed by GD house repairs. :evil:

slow36hp Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 pm

i have a bigger motor going on the stand next. it has been sitting here in parts for years.i doubt i will ever put it in the oval.

Schwing Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:29 pm

slow looks nice!
I'm saving all of your pics please take more and share in this thread.
Thanks! 8)

slow36hp Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:27 pm

spent my little available time today cleaning and sorting the valve train. hope to have the heads on in the next two nights

Schwing Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:47 am

I did the very same thing on Monday. Cleaned all the parts I had soaking in oil since I disassembled the engine - oil pump, various nuts and bolts, cam plug, etc.
I checked your engine # and it looks like you have a Feb '57, mine is about 2 months older - Apr '57, almost the identical car 2 months apart, pretty cool.

Keep snapping pics please of your engine build very very helpful along with everything else I have been saving (like the 36 engine rebuild step by step in the July '98 issue of Motor Trends)

Rich's 50 Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:49 am

Looking good 8)

Schwing Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:11 am

Can I ask you where you got your engine stand? And approx how much? Worth it or is a shop bench ok if thats all I have?