TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Battery Voltage Indicators - where to mount?
mariusstrom Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:38 pm

So, I've just gotten done doing up all the wiring for my auxiliary battery... Blue Sea distribution panel in the closet (thanks go to kevinbassplayer for the inspiration from this thread), battery isolators, etc.

Next mega-upgrade on this is a Xantrex, but that's a long ways off.. :)

So, I was wandering the aisles at West Marine today, and decided I want to mount up some 12VDC power gauges. They've got a nice analog one that shows between 8 and 16V, which I think is perfect for my application. Rather than just have this show the "fun" battery, I've debated on putting it on a 3-position rocker switch so I can show either battery or nothing at all (it's got a 1mA draw, but that's still 1mA). I'm debating on where to mount this..

where have others mounted similar items? Bonus points for having "convenient" access to +12V from the main battery.

presslab Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:52 pm

mariusstrom wrote: They've got a nice analog one that shows between 8 and 16V, which I think is perfect for my application. Rather than just have this show the "fun" battery, I've debated on putting it on a 3-position rocker switch so I can show either battery or nothing at all (it's got a 1mA draw, but that's still 1mA). I'm debating on where to mount this..

This the one? Assuming you have a Westy I'd say mount it by the stock battery meter.

0.001A will take about 5 years to drain the battery.

mariusstrom Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:05 pm

presslab wrote: mariusstrom wrote: They've got a nice analog one that shows between 8 and 16V, which I think is perfect for my application. Rather than just have this show the "fun" battery, I've debated on putting it on a 3-position rocker switch so I can show either battery or nothing at all (it's got a 1mA draw, but that's still 1mA). I'm debating on where to mount this..

This the one? Assuming you have a Westy I'd say mount it by the stock battery meter.

0.001A will take about 5 years to drain the battery.
Yep, pretty similar to that guy. I just need to find a 12V connection on that side of the van..

thatvwbusguy Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:12 pm

I recently added a digital gauge with voltage, clock, indoor/outdoor thermometer on the metal panel between the cooktop and the cabinet next to the fridge. Here is a crappy low light photo showing it:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=711773

mariusstrom Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:14 pm

thatvwbusguy wrote: I recently added a digital gauge with voltage, clock, indoor/outdoor thermometer on the metal panel between the cooktop and the cabinet next to the fridge. Here is a crappy low light photo showing it:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=711773
Oh, that's brilliant. I can't quite make out the markings on it - can you read off the model of it or give me a pointer to the ebay terms you used?

thatvwbusguy Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 am

Search for "Car Auto Digital Clock Thermometer Voltage Monitor".

The unit is pretty cool, it has dual colour display (blue or orange), an alarm for high/low voltage and an icing alarm for winter driving. Price was $14.99 including shipping on eBay.

Be forewarned however that the quality control on these gauges does not appear to be that great. I had to return the first one I purchased because it arrived DOA. The second one also came in DOA, but I opened it up and noticed an obvious bad solder joint. A couple minutes with my soldering iron and it was good to go.

Maybe you could request the seller to pre-test it before they send it out? The one I got shipped from New York. The sellers name is hi-etech.

If you would rather skip eBay you can order directly online (for $19.99). This business also ships from Brooklyn, NY so it is probably the same place.

http://www.gadgettown.com/Car-Thermometer-Voltage-Monitor.html

Installation is simple, just cut off the 12V socket plug and strip back a few inches of wire. I hooked mine up to the power for the fridge/water level LED display wiring.

I can take a better picture of my setup if it would be helpful.

climberjohn Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:38 am

You may find some idea on this thread:

Voltminder - a volt gauge with alarm
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399849

I personally prefer a digital voltmeter.

Good luck with your project,
-CJ

schoonerman Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:26 am

I mounted my voltmeter and 3 way switch just to the right of the cig lighter on the dash, works great and can be seen when driving, leaving the switch in middle off position when leaving the van.
Good luck

Ahwahnee Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:53 pm

My aux is under the rear seat and since I am mainly interested in monitoring while camped I put the meters with it --

Those are 0-15V meters from Radio Shack.

mariusstrom Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:27 pm

thatvwbusguy wrote: Search for "Car Auto Digital Clock Thermometer Voltage Monitor".

The unit is pretty cool, it has dual colour display (blue or orange), an alarm for high/low voltage and an icing alarm for winter driving. Price was $14.99 including shipping on eBay.

Be forewarned however that the quality control on these gauges does not appear to be that great. I had to return the first one I purchased because it arrived DOA. The second one also came in DOA, but I opened it up and noticed an obvious bad solder joint. A couple minutes with my soldering iron and it was good to go.

Maybe you could request the seller to pre-test it before they send it out? The one I got shipped from New York. The sellers name is hi-etech.

If you would rather skip eBay you can order directly online (for $19.99). This business also ships from Brooklyn, NY so it is probably the same place.

Installation is simple, just cut off the 12V socket plug and strip back a few inches of wire. I hooked mine up to the power for the fridge/water level LED display wiring.

Thanks, all the ones on eBay I can find say "Celsius", but I'm noticing yours is in Fahrenheit. Is yours switchable between the two? I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one... only downside is that you can't easily flip it between two sources.

thatvwbusguy Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:23 pm

The gauge is easily switchable from Fahrenheit to Celsius. As long as your batteries are separated you shouldn't need to monitor your starting battery on a regular basis outside of the curiosity factor.

As long as you don't mind doing some extra wiring you should be able to use a 3-way "on-off-on" toggle switch to switch between the two batteries. You will need to find a switch that has two terminals for each position. Here is an example I found at amazon.com. You should be able to find one locally at any parts place or electronics store:

http://www.amazon.com/DPDT-Medium-Duty-Toggle-Center/dp/B0002ZPB98/ref=pd_cp_e_3

Since you are only using the gauge to monitor your voltage (not to carry any load) you can simply run some 18GA wires to the batteries as follows:

From the gauge - make a 2-way jumper for the positive wire. Hook one end to each outside "on" terminal on one side of the switch. Hook the black wire to the negative center terminal on the switch. The wires on the gauge are tiny (probably about 24GA), so they are a pain to work with. Leave yourself some room for mistakes and you will be okay.

From the main battery - Positive to one of the open "on" terminals.

From the auxiliary battery - Positive to the remaining open "on" terminal.

Connect the wires from the negative posts of both batteries together and attach this common ground to the remaining center terminal on the switch.

A 3A inline fuse on the positive wires as close to the battery as possible should provide adequate circuit protection.

Timwhy Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:48 am

thatvwbusguy wrote: Search for "Car Auto Digital Clock Thermometer Voltage Monitor".

I recently bought one of these units from them and it was not what was advertised.
It did not have the voltmeter, just clock and thermometer. When I asked the company
to send the correct one in their description, they said keep the unit and we'll
compensate you $3. NO, send me back my money! Beware, this company doesn't
send what they claim to have for products and then changes the descriptions.
Look at the link in the middle right side of the web page, it clearly says voltage monitor.

i

Timwhy Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:04 am

Got the voltmeter and what was suppose to be a voltmeter wired up today.
Also repainted the control panel and added some reflective tape to the front.
The panel really should be sand blasted but that's for another days project.
The new clock and indoor/outdoor thermometer until was not what the seller
claimed but I decided to keep it as I destroyed the PO thermometer trying to
remove it. It works fine but it's in celcius, oh well I'll adapt.