TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: If you had a choice would you us Albert Swan type mirrors or Page: 1, 2  Next
ricky.santillan Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:58 am

...not

The Oval I got had Albert Swans installed and am not sure I am a big fan of them. Same goes with the side skirts but that is just me. I prefer the more plain round side mirror. Who is more for the Swan and who isn't. Of course it is a matter of preference. I just think more bug when I see basic mirrors.

nick696 Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:45 am

I just tink they look cool, and look more natural :P
Don't like the mirrors stuffed on the hinges

henry roberts Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:44 am

i didn't vote as IMHO it really depends on the car. some cars look great with swans and some just look foul.

swans on a stock height car with whitewalls, skirts, a roof rack, a full robri set, spotlights and a dozen other glittery bit on the outside. yuck

swans on a car that's lowered with a nice set of wheels with say popouts and door handle scratch guards only (aka subtle). tasty.

the colour will also make a big difference.

of course each to thier own.

FRK Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:06 am

henry roberts wrote: i didn't vote as IMHO it really depends on the car. some cars look great with swans and some just look foul.

swans on a stock height car with whitewalls and skirts. yuck

Like this??

VWLooseNuts Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:20 am

I'm a fan of them.
and that oval vert looks sick as hell

drscope Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:44 am

I can break anything and it would just make me nervous having them stick off the side of the car on those long arms.

Bruce MacDonald Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:47 am

Got a set on my 54 and like the look, BUT the visibility with them is not so good.

VWLooseNuts Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:55 am

Bruce MacDonald wrote: Got a set on my 54 and like the look, BUT the visibility with them is not so good.

true but its not like the stock ones are much better

ARTIFACT Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:38 am

I like them on my oval :)

The PO had 1 albert installed, but none when I bought the car. My wife asked me to order a pair (repops) because she liked them. I'm not going to slow down my wife's enthusiasm for my Beetle :)

alanandi Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:34 am

i donīt really like them.
Some cars looking good with them, but iīm not the fan of to much accessories.
But everyone got to do what he likes the most.

kingd33 Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:41 am

I like the looks of them but just not sure if they will look good on my 55.
Of course they can't look any worse than the mirror that was screwed into
the door :?

henry roberts Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:48 am

FRK wrote: henry roberts wrote: i didn't vote as IMHO it really depends on the car. some cars look great with swans and some just look foul.

swans on a stock height car with whitewalls and skirts. yuck

Like this??

i knew that someone was be bound to offended. i'll stick to my opinion, as, well, it's my opinion, but i'll happily give my appologies if i offended you.

EA57RHD Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:08 am

I like them on my car, and probably would use the Alberts again if I ever buy another Beetle 8)

I will say that IMHO, I think that the repops kind of ruined the uniqueness of the original. Now you see every other Beetle with Alberts, and more then half of them are fake.

BTW Frank, I think your Vert looks bad ass with the whitewalls, skirts and Alberts.

grailoc Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

1st time I saw swan mirrors I loved them, but now I have change my mind because too many are now installed on cars.
Even if those mirrors are lovely pieces it looks like "wart" on a face more particulary on slamed cars with chromed earlies. But that is just my opinion.
I would prefer go with albert mirror clipped on side gutter.

schunacher Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:19 pm

Took my alberts off (repro's) and bought 4 other hinge types to try out. My opinion is they are too flashy so they detract from the classic lines of the front end. They seem to go well with "pretty" beetles and need to be balanced by other chrome dress up accessories like the vert above.

53 0val Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:40 pm

I put them on my Oval eleven years ago and never looked back. :wink:

The truth is: they work! I love em.

FRK Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:20 pm

EA57RHD wrote:

I like them on my car, and probably would use the Alberts again if I ever buy another Beetle 8)

I will say that IMHO, I think that the repops kind of ruined the uniqueness of the original. Now you see every other Beetle with Alberts, and more then half of them are fake.

BTW Frank, I think your Vert looks bad ass with the whitewalls, skirts and Alberts.
Thanks Eddie.
I agree with you Eddie about the repops.
I been running Alberts for the last 7-8 years and now everybody have them.
People see them and don't appreciate them.
They think they all are repops and That's why I'm running the early hooded ones so people can see the difference.

Here are two more stock hight, white walls, Alberts & skirts!!

Or like henry roberts Says...

henry roberts wrote: swans on a stock height car with whitewalls, skirts, a roof rack, spotlights. yuck

I think they look Awesome!!

David Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:59 pm

53 0val wrote: I put them on my Oval eleven years ago and never looked back. :wink:

It seems like the passenger side would be easier than the stock to see with.

53 0val Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:28 pm

David wrote: 53 0val wrote: I put them on my Oval eleven years ago and never looked back. :wink:

It seems like the passenger side would be easier than the stock to see with.

They are rock steady and are at perfect height, much better than any of the several "stock" mirrors I have used over the years.

ricky.santillan Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:54 am

Do they look better with skirts? Seems beauty pics with them are shown with skirts