TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: identifying diesel engine
neuman Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:55 am

I got my first vanagon in april and it needs some work. I have already done the coolant pipes and completely rebuilt the entire shifter assembly and linkage. I have recently purchased all new calipers and all the lines.

When I got the van (neuman a 83' diesel) I was told the motor had been swapped from the original 1.6l diesel to what i was told was a 1.9l na diesel. After contacting the previous owner who did the swap, he said it was a 1.6l Canadian diesel. Before I take any camping trips I want to do the timing belt, but I can't do the belt without the correct engine code. Is there any difference between the US and Canadian diesels?

?Waldo? Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:31 am

The back of the block (driver's side) will have embossed in the casting whether it's a 1.6 or 1.9. The 1.6 and 1.9 timing belts are different. All the 1.6 timing belts are the same whether US or Canadian.

mwsnow Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:11 am

If "Canadian diesel" really means an engine rebuilt by/for VW Canada, you very likely have a 4-cylinder grenade that could detonate at any minute. I have seen several with the block painted green. There would have been a VW Canada sticker or tag, too.

Orbitald Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:36 am

mwsnow wrote: If "Canadian diesel" really means an engine rebuilt by/for VW Canada, you very likely have a 4-cylinder grenade that could detonate at any minute. I have seen several with the block painted green. There would have been a VW Canada sticker or tag, too.

There is the AAZ 1.9 NA diesel that came in Canadian Jettas. I sure hope its not a grenade :wink: