TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: sound system
too_chewy Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:59 am

i am looking into putting a 12" sub into my '75 bug. any adeas if this is a good idea and if so what watt amp should do the trick? will the alternator supply enough power to even run it?

[email protected] Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:16 pm

you should be able to put any watt amp in there. the alternator should be able to power it while it is runnignnn. there is not a big difference from a regular 12 volt car. just remember when you put the red power cord to the battery always have a fuse between the amp and battery. also i have a question for you. what type of stereo system did you put in your and how did you install it i am looking to do the same thing with my 74. please get back to me.

too_chewy Sat Apr 27, 2002 2:43 pm

winterstick77- there was already a stereo in my bug but it was a tape deck so the hole in the dash was already there. when i got my new rubber dash i had to cut a hole again and clamped it to the metal behind the rubber. i put a cheap sony xplode cd player. they are good player but dont last long like 2-3 years. i got it cause i plan on selling my bug this fall. i have 4" rounds in the door panels and two 6"x9" speaker boxes behind the back seat. my sub is back there too i just need an amp. thanks for your advice. if you have any other questions just ask.

Yustrn Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:29 pm

Don't have a system in my bug yet cause I'm not finished building it but...

In my truck I have a Koller XM8686...you may say what damn brand is that...well it's a new company...600 watt 4 channel Amp..it pushes my whole system. Alpine 6' 3way in the doors Boston Acoustic 6' 3 way's in the back and a Fosgate punch 10 in a custom box. The amp I believe ran around 220.00 or so and it is very very loud. You can make the Amp 2-3 or 4 channel.

[email protected] Tue Apr 30, 2002 5:41 pm

A ten would require less space for it to sound optimal and would cover the same range that a twelve would in the same size box.
If you already have a twelve, remember that box design and construction are the of the utmost importance. Power is secondary.
How much power? At least 200 real watts.
That would be about a million Kraco watts.
Use the largest power cable you can get your hands on.
In my opinion, I would use two 8" woofers coupled with a ten inch subwoofwer.
The two 8's would fire upward,while the ten inch would fire forward through the back seat. You could cover the 8's so as to render them invisible.No need in showing off a system. It's there to hear anyway.
Use a quality amp that has crossover built in to make things simple.
see ya, Jimmy

ice baller Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:15 pm

i have a 55 amp alternator, it works fine , I power 3 12's,(killer)