TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: fuse covers
rustbus Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Boys!

I have these two, what years are they for? i hope one is a '72 - sorry, my bentley is far right now....



thanks

busdaddy Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:12 am

The top one looks right for a 72.

rustbus Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:25 pm

busdaddy wrote: The top one looks right for a 72.

Thanks Boss!

RIOMX Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:52 pm

Rustbus if that's the case, let me know if you'd sell the bottom one. Looks like I just ordered the wrong fuse cover this week...


rustbus Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:08 am

RIOMX wrote: Rustbus if that's the case, let me know if you'd sell the bottom one. Looks like I just ordered the wrong fuse cover this week...


sure thing! - fire me a PM - I dont know what years its for, but i swear it may have come from an earlier bus - sure its the one for you? yours looks like mine....ha!

RIOMX Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:14 am

I'm wondering if the top one is actually the correct one for later buses. Here is the fuse configuration for a 75, and it seems to match the top cover you have (and the one i ordered)


RIOMX Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:16 am

Here's the answer! peep the photo of the fuse cover to the left. This is from a 1972 manual.


busdaddy Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:43 pm

Don't always trust photos in VW manuals, they often recycled pics from previous years. Notice the pictured one shows the right fuses as dome lights but the text says they are signals and horn :wink:
IIRC the dome light was at the very end on a 70 or 71.

RIOMX Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:45 pm

busdaddy wrote: Don't always trust photos in VW manuals, they often recycled pics from previous years. Notice the pictured one shows the right fuses as dome lights but the text says they are signals and horn :wink:
IIRC the dome light was at the very end on a 70 or 71.

Good call. I didn't go through the fuse listing on the 72 manual as much as I did for the 75 :)

So help me out - am I OK to use the cover that I bought?

busdaddy Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:51 pm

Looks pretty close to me, print a copy of that page you posted and keep it with your spare fuses if you're worried.

RIOMX Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:57 pm

busdaddy wrote: Looks pretty close to me, print a copy of that page you posted and keep it with your spare fuses if you're worried.

It's ok. I keep a Bentley under the driver seat. I just don't like my fuses being exposed and I liked the idea of having a cover to make it more "complete."

Anyway, it doesn't matter in the end, I guess :)

airschooled Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:41 pm

What are you folks using to clean these plastic covers? Five years ago I bought one from jtauxe in excellent condition (thanks jtauxe!) and I just found it cleaning out my storage unit. Itís yellowed a bit, and last time I cleaned something like this it faded and cracked...

Robbie

Terminatez Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:22 pm

asiab3 wrote: What are you folks using to clean these plastic covers? Five years ago I bought one from jtauxe in excellent condition (thanks jtauxe!) and I just found it cleaning out my storage unit. Itís yellowed a bit, and last time I cleaned something like this it faded and cracked...

Robbie

Try Hydrogen Peroxide. I haven't tried it on a clear plastic, but I tried it on a few white plastics that turned yellow. Sure enough, they went back to turning white. I got the idea online.

telford dorr Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:41 am

Or just get some plastic polish (like used to polish plastic headlight lenses). Locally, ePlastics, aka Ridout Plastics, 5535 Ruffin Rd, San Diego (Kearny Mesa). http://www.eplastics.com/



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group