TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Today in Bay Window hunting History Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
TDCTDI Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:51 pm

alman72 wrote: she is a mossy one!
If only I could get it to grow more.

cdennisg Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:41 pm

TDCTDI wrote: Hey cdennisg, how are you doing? Its still got the trim holes & I found most of the trim in the van. It has most of the interior (for what that's worth), its just a Kombi & the original color is some odd beige-ish that I cant decode on the ID plate decoder

Might be Arizona yellow. One of those 68 only colors.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617043&highlight=arizona#top

cdennisg Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:46 pm

Also, this site is a fun one... http://www.type2.com/m-codes/t2colors.html

And a bunch of 68 only bus info here... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...mp;start=0

Trashman Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:18 pm

If there is good Arizona yellow under that green you scored!

TDCTDI Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:10 pm

alman72 wrote: she is a mossy one!
If you thought the last one was mossy, here's the one I picked up today.

I'm lichen it!

cdennisg Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Just did a quick search, and I swear it exists, but I cannot find the thread on moss covered buses. I know there was one at some point.

d-rick Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:43 pm

I want in on the Moss Party! :lol:

Brought this home last weekend and it came with some friends

Love a Subaru power washer!

TDCTDI Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:29 am

cdennisg wrote: Just did a quick search, and I swear it exists, but I cannot find the thread on moss covered buses. I know there was one at some point.
There were some spectacular examples, neither of mine were worthy of that thread.

notchboy Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:43 am

d-rick wrote: I want in on the Moss Party! :lol:

Brought this home last weekend and it came with some friends

Love a Subaru power washer!

Looks like a nice find! Did you get any goodies? Looks like a dash table there. Is there a blue VW coleman pump, collapsible spare, poo pail???

d-rick Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:22 am

I haven't really even had a chance to go through the whole bus yet. It has dash table,cot under the bed,stool (haven't opened it yet).
I'll get to it this week

TDCTDI Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:30 am

I especially liked the vintage crotch cooling coating on the bike.

KK Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:43 am

Found this CA '71 at a Coast Guard station in FL:

danfromsyr Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:27 pm

noice.. 71 sunroof deluxe

wonder how the floors are if it's been left open to languish in the moist FL tropic.

KK Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:04 am

danfromsyr wrote: wonder how the floors are if it's been left open to languish in the moist FL tropic.

Not bad - but the weather was starting to get to it...:

Niagara Blue under the brown:

mainstreetprod Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Brand new to the forum and took delivery yesterday of this non running '78 Bay Window. As seen in another thread, the engine wiring is somewhat of a mess- but looking it over today, it is as rust free as I had hoped, and has a lot of potential. The body work is "local car show" quality. The interior needs new panels and seat covers. First VW I've owned since the 70's. Lots to do!

KentPS Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:53 pm

Very nice find! It looks like it was originally Neptune Blue, from the engine bay. Are you going to keep the deep red? It looks cool as it sits now, with the white wheels.

Oh yeah.... and WELCOME TO THE SAMBA!

mainstreetprod Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:59 pm

KentPS wrote: Very nice find! It looks like it was originally Neptune Blue, from the engine bay. Are you going to keep the deep red? It looks cool as it sits now, with the white wheels.

Thanks! This bus will look a lot different in a couple of months. My wife and I are independent film producers and got the bus to "star" in a period film we are shooting in the Spring. A lot of work in front of me turning this into a running "hippie bus". Not sure if I will use removable decals to get the look, or have local artists paint it in a Woodstock motif.

TDCTDI Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:21 pm

mainstreetprod wrote: KentPS wrote: Very nice find! It looks like it was originally Neptune Blue, from the engine bay. Are you going to keep the deep red? It looks cool as it sits now, with the white wheels.

Thanks! This bus will look a lot different in a couple of months. My wife and I are independent film producers and got the bus to "star" in a period film we are shooting in the Spring. A lot of work in front of me turning this into a running "hippie bus". Not sure if I will use removable decals to get the look, or have local artists paint it in a Woodstock motif.
It's about a decade late to be an authentic vintage for a hippie bus, you might lose some credibility depending on what the film is about.

mainstreetprod Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:39 pm

TDCTDI wrote: mainstreetprod wrote: KentPS wrote: Very nice find! It looks like it was originally Neptune Blue, from the engine bay. Are you going to keep the deep red? It looks cool as it sits now, with the white wheels.

It's about a decade late to be an authentic vintage for a hippie bus, you might lose some credibility depending on what the film is about.

The film is "Summer of '67", a story of the impact of the Vietnam war on the wives and girlfriends of the soldiers. I would have loved to find a '67 or earlier bus, but it would have cost more than the entire budget of the film! The '68's hit the streets just a few months after the movie takes place. Fortunately, outside of the Samba world, no one knows a '68 from a '78.

cdennisg Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:56 pm

mainstreetprod wrote: TDCTDI wrote: mainstreetprod wrote: KentPS wrote: Very nice find! It looks like it was originally Neptune Blue, from the engine bay. Are you going to keep the deep red? It looks cool as it sits now, with the white wheels.

The film is "Summer of '67", a story of the impact of the Vietnam war on the wives and girlfriends of the soldiers. I would have loved to find a '67 or earlier bus, but it would have cost more than the entire budget of the film! The '68's hit the streets just a few months after the movie takes place. Fortunately, outside of the Samba world, no one knows a '68 from a '78.

The 68 would have been a brand spankin' new VW in late summer of '68. Hippies couldn't have afforded one then. I certainly understand the current day costs, though.

You would be smart to make the flowers in vinyl. It'll be cheaper, and easier to remove for resale.