TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Today in Bay Window hunting History Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
mainstreetprod Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:22 am

cdennisg wrote: mainstreetprod wrote: TDCTDI wrote: mainstreetprod wrote: KentPS wrote: Very nice find! It looks like it was originally Neptune Blue, from the engine bay. Are you going to keep the deep red? It looks cool as it sits now, with the white wheels.

Oh yeah.... and WELCOME TO THE SAMBA!

Thanks! This bus will look a lot different in a couple of months. My wife and I are independent film producers and got the bus to "star" in a period film we are shooting in the Spring. A lot of work in front of me turning this into a running "hippie bus". Not sure if I will use removable decals to get the look, or have local artists paint it in a Woodstock motif.
It's about a decade late to be an authentic vintage for a hippie bus, you might lose some credibility depending on what the film is about.

The film is "Summer of '67", a story of the impact of the Vietnam war on the wives and girlfriends of the soldiers. I would have loved to find a '67 or earlier bus, but it would have cost more than the entire budget of the film! The '68's hit the streets just a few months after the movie takes place. Fortunately, outside of the Samba world, no one knows a '68 from a '78.

The 68 would have been a brand spankin' new VW in late summer of '68. Hippies couldn't have afforded one then. I certainly understand the current day costs, though.

You would be smart to make the flowers in vinyl. It'll be cheaper, and easier to remove for resale.

Way ahead of you - I do have to think about resale. Will probably go with this kit, and add some larger non flower graphics.

As far as the affordability of a brand new VW bus for a hippie- well, every character has a back story. This bus will will be driven by "Van", a hippie wannabe and really bad folk singer. I guess his back story could be that his wealthy dad owns 7 dealerships and has early access to the new models!

crukab Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Checked on a couple Bay Campers in Western Mass., they were just as bad as I thought they would be, rotted & moused, w/ a bunch of Beetle crap in them.... :?

But I did get to see a '70's throw back :

Can't remember the last time I saw a Whale's Tail....... :lol: :roll:

Yarkle Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:11 pm

were they and all or nothing deal? how is that yellow slider and the front doors on them?

alman72 Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:03 pm

cdennisg wrote: Just did a quick search, and I swear it exists, but I cannot find the thread on moss covered buses. I know there was one at some point.

moss delivered
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=655849&highlight=moss

cdennisg Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:09 pm

alman72 wrote: cdennisg wrote: Just did a quick search, and I swear it exists, but I cannot find the thread on moss covered buses. I know there was one at some point.

moss delivered
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=655849&highlight=moss

AHA! I knew it! I just forgot that the title included the non-word mossyest.

bent_karma Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:51 pm

Saw this bus behind a used car dealership. Father son project.

Pinetops Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:22 pm

cool patina

The Dubbernaut Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:49 am

TDCTDI wrote: If you thought the last one was mossy, here's the one I picked up today.

I'm lichen it!

HAHAHAHA We have twins! Ill see if I can dig up a photo of mine...

GutBus Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:12 pm

Picked this up last fall from original owners. They had a lot of stories to tell about the Bus. It was fun to hear all the good times they had. And they loved talking about them too. Town was getting on their case to clean up their yard/Property. This Bus was sitting since early 90's in they driveway on cinder blocks. I've know about it for about 10 years. The guy is having some health problems... it was time to go. A deal I could not refuse!

crukab Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:09 am

Nice Score !! I like the Eye bolts on the bumper uprights. Cool you got to meet the og owners, not many of those "from the og owner" Buses left.
Good luck w/ the N.Y. Rust.......

Banger Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi all, my first post on here - a few pics of the recovery of my new bus. Last driven by the previous owner to SE France 17 years ago, went bang and shoved down a mountain. Two English, one Belgian,one French loon and three days later it was on a trailer back to England. It's pretty rotty but definitely salvageable, hopefully back on the road for next year.

lolight70 Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Rhd too !!

KentABQ Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:45 pm

Banger, I sure hope you're planning on creating a thread on here, so we can follow the progress. I'm eager to see its transformation.

Since it was at the bottom of a hill, it has nowhere to go but up! :lol:

wcfvw69 Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:35 pm

KentPS wrote: Banger, I sure hope you're planning on creating a thread on here, so we can follow the progress. I'm eager to see its transformation.

X2

It would awesome to see a thread on it's revival.

Davydomes Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:00 am

Banger wrote: Hi all, my first post on here - a few pics of the recovery of my new bus. Last driven by the previous owner to SE France 17 years ago, went bang and shoved down a mountain. Two English, one Belgian,one French loon and three days later it was on a trailer back to England. It's pretty rotty but definitely salvageable, hopefully back on the road for next year.

Those front headlights look a bit different.

SamboSamba22 Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:08 am

Davydomes wrote: Banger wrote: Hi all, my first post on here - a few pics of the recovery of my new bus. Last driven by the previous owner to SE France 17 years ago, went bang and shoved down a mountain. Two English, one Belgian,one French loon and three days later it was on a trailer back to England. It's pretty rotty but definitely salvageable, hopefully back on the road for next year.

Those front headlights look a bit different.

That thing was LITERALLY shoved down a hillside! :lol:
Awesome stuff. Man, I'd love a bay panel. Get a thread going, this thing is pretty cool.

Banger Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:47 am

The headlights are stock, just painted with black and green emulsion, and fitted with those horrid visor thingys.

Back on the case this weekend, so all being well I'll be starting a thread on the Bay forum :D

alman72 Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:44 pm

is it a poptop, or some fiberglass roof rack thing?

Banger Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:24 am

alman72 wrote: is it a poptop, or some fiberglass roof rack thing?

It's an original earlier type Devon poptop.

Davydomes Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:01 am

What part of Blighty are you from mate? What year is the bus?