TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Today in Bay Window hunting History Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
orangebug60guy Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 pm

crukab wrote: Good score Jack !! How did you come to find it ??

I have to see more pics of that ^^^ cab divieder ??
Oh yea, it was the fuel pump rod, not the fuel pump on the '66...... :evil:

I was driving a friend home from the local brewery and there was a restored bay window for sale. Stopped and asked if he had parts. Turned out it was a whole bus. :shock:

crukab Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:12 am

Went on a Blind VW Hunt from a CL ad, I was way too impatient for a call back, :oops: that Bay was the only thing I could have any intrest in, and it was toast...
They some Type 3 wagons and Fat chick Bugs, not my kind of thing, got top drive the Single 100 Miles of back roads..... :lol:

spencersk8 Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:50 pm

With orange camo bush beer cans in hand...We tracked the beast to Selma. With foggy recollections as to quardinates of the location of the beasts last sighting, the hunt was on. Damn thing jumped right outta the bushes at me but my blocker took the old girl down with little fight.

crukab Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Finally snagged the '74 I've been stalking for a few years, put a good battery in it & some Gas, fired right up !!

Now for sale.....

60vwnewengland Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:45 pm

crukab wrote:

Finally snagged the '74 I've been stalking for a few years, put a good battery in it & some Gas, fired right up !!

Now for sale.....

Looks good for VT!! Go Tom Go!!

buffalovebus Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:10 pm

I got this 72 Bus for free!

mr white Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:41 pm

1970 Safaré camper!

crukab Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Cool highroof Mr. White !! Does it have that "homey" smell of Mouse piss & Patchouli ? :lol: :lol:
Was the Stove:

Was the stove ^^^^ mounted on top of the Icebox ??

Buffalovebus, nice score ! The reason it was free: it's a '72 :lol: :lol: :wink:

mr white Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:35 pm

Stove is on top of the ice box. Got lucky, zero stinky hippy and rodent pizz, or remnants. Full of yellow jackets though. Got hairy at times with those bastards!

FOE Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Took me a few days of random reading, but this is one of my favourite threads!

60vwnewengland Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:51 pm

mr white wrote: 1970 Safaré camper!

Cool! Lots of Safare's coming out of the wood works lately.

MystixVintageCruisn Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:48 pm

I love this thread it's so motivational.. I've been so down about my Bus but this really gives me some hope. Thank you for this!

Stoney Hawk Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:57 pm

One less so69 westy going to waste.

KentABQ Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:03 pm

Likes Girls wrote: One less so69 westy going to waste.

\:D/
Nice save! Looks like a keeper.

Stoney Hawk Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Another one on the trailer. 1969 Riviera

Yarkle Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:25 am

This was actually on thursday. Ive been trying to find decent doors for my 73 bus for a few years, i had one guy with "cherry" doors from New Jersey flake out on me, supposedly the transportation fell through, another guy send me alot of photos and i got what appeared at first to be a good set of doors, but i didnt realize that its not just the lower front corner that rots out, its the seal lip area, which i could poke my finger though, and there was alot of rot hiding under the primered areas

I could literally bend the entire lower lip with my fingers

So, after seeing many ads across the country for "rot free" doors, made the trek to Johns Car Corner in Vermont.

this was pretty dank, he runs it as a work truck (he informed me it is NOT for sale)

and i know this is technically the wrong forum, but he had ALOT of beetles, a ghia, and several vanagons out front, including this gem..I kinda like the harlequin look!

Well, John had just gone to pick up lunch for his crew, but i was kindof dissappointed at first, because all it looked like he had was what was out front, and there was only a few bays with pretty rotted doors..

Until he opened the side yard for me, and there were two buses with pretty bad doors..and it was kind of a labyrinth of vanagons fullof parts..

and this! which "might" be for sale"

well, then he took me out back, and he said..there two single cab bay buses in there

(this photo was from after i pulled a door out)

the lower level of the weeds was about 2 feet over my head...

I felt like i was in this movie:

I kinda stomped down a bunch of weeds, found the single cabs, but i could just feel the front and tell they were junk. (both of them were wrecked and one had no top at all)

So im like "dammit..4 hour round trip for nuthin'"

then i saw a glimmer

At this point, SuperJenn and John were in the field and he said to her "Well, I keep starting to get worried, but then i hear somethign, and i can see the topmost weeds moving"

and i found this (after alot of thrashing about, kinda like a gorilla or Panda making a nest)

more clearing

and i eventually found 4 decent looking doors,

and after alot of angst, i finally settle don two..they need work, but better than anyThing i have..Might have to name the bus Ms. Green Doors

I was completley covered in stains from those purple berries Jenni tells me not to eat

and then we looked though his extensive collection of memorabilia..this sign is from a dealership the baseball player Reggie Jackson used to own

John on left, SuperJenn (as opposed to skillz "white trash Jenni" single cab)

So, anyone in new england, its a bit of a hike, but hes got ALOT of parts. Some of it is returning to the earth, but alot of it is still really solid, especially for new england

ImAddicted Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:56 pm

Charles, there's Reggie's Repair and Salvage (https://www.facebook.com/Reggies-Repair-and-salvage-VWAudi-206989549351126/ ) up here by me (Waterford) that is supposed to have a barn of parts, I know he has at least a couple of bays out in the field next to his shop. I haven't made the trip to visit yet - sad cuz it's only about a mile from my house - but let me know if you want me to check something out or if you come up to do it yourself and we can get together for lunch or something.

Yarkle Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Cool, maybe next month? I cant think of anything off the top of my head (now that ive finally got some decent doors), but theres always something

67ctbug Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Yarkle wrote:
So, after seeing many ads across the country for "rot free" doors, made the trek to Johns Car Corner in Vermont.

John's is awesome, I try to get up there once or twice a year. Him and his helper, can't remember his name right now, are really cool guys. I've never been in the side yard, maybe next time I go up. He got me some NOS '67 hubcaps from his attic which was pretty sweet.

ImAddicted Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:40 am

Yarkle wrote: Cool, maybe next month? I cant think of anything off the top of my head (now that ive finally got some decent doors), but theres always something

I'm going try to go over there in the next few weeks, need to see if they have a few things I need plus everyone I run into tells me I need to go up there. There's a surprising number of old VWs in this area. I see 3-4 Vanagons regularly, a sweet split DC when the weather is nice, there's a blue Square I see in a driveway but never running, and a couple of Manx clones that come out in the summer. I'll let you know what I discover :)

We're not that bad of a drive (still in York, right?), up 95 to Gray, then 26 over to Oxford, or jump off at Portland then 302 to Bridgton, grab 35\37 and less than 2 hours drive (as long as the beaches are empty). Can skip paying LePage his blood money and run Rt 4 up to 5 through Fryeburg to Stoneham, that's about 2 hours but a bit more scenic.