TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: BuMPERS
J Deans Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:57 pm

OK. Heres the thing. I have a 1969 bug, and i really want old style (euro) blade bumpers on it. I have seen that motorworks has an adapter that they say you can use to mount them, but is that really necessary? any help is much appreciated.

TimGud Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:25 pm

The brackets for a 69 are taller where they go through the front apron.I would think the early ones could be rigged to fit but would they look ok ? If the brackets aren't too expensive you might want to just purchase them. good luck.

TimGud Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:16 pm

OOPS!

RareAir Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:10 pm

Didn't Rocky Mtn Mootorworks close their doors/go out of business due to their high @$$ prices.

TimGud Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:37 pm

The last I heard they filed for reorganization (chapter 11) and are still open.

keifernet Sun Jul 21, 2002 7:47 am

I thought some of their troubles were related to VW of Americas BS that they are pulling, but maybe it was just bad businenss tactics, they are still there know someone who still deals with them regularly....

Trayle D. the real oggfk Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:28 pm

A freind of mine too.

[email protected] Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:05 pm

one of my friends made his own adaptors to use the blades with his existing brackets on a '70. It looks fine if you can handle the fab work. I recently saw the adaptor brackets somewhere else...i think it was the real source.
Greg
70 beetle
98 gti vr6

nailbomb Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:56 pm

RMMW is still in business, somehow. All those hot vws back cover ads have to cost quite a bit. They really are too damn expensive, though. Most of the people I know out here in Colorado just order everthing from one of the hundreds of places out in california. Motorworks does host an awesome show though. While the cars that attend are nowhere near the high quality stuff you see in cali and zona, it is held in one of the most scenic spots you can find.

[email protected] Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:55 pm

those brackets are ridiculously expensive, i doubt it would be hard to retro-fit your brackets to accept the old style bumpers, they have directions on a site called "How to restore your air-cooled volkswagen and not spend your life savings" but i dont know the web address

ice baller Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:51 pm

who needs a bumper? if your bug is droped dont spend ur money on a bumper, SPEND IT ON THE ENGINE, ( thats my opinion :p )