TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How important is engine tin? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Sugarbear Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:51 pm

I have a 1972 Bay , with a type 1 motor in it instead of the stock type 4. and have come a long ways over the last week to make the engine sound cherry! but now I'm at a standpoint. should i be driving it with no engine tin? i know the purpose is to create a suction and keep the engine cooler. whats your opinions? experience?

[img][/img]

EZ Gruv Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Sugarbear wrote: should i be driving it with no engine tin?

Absolutely not!

ratherb-buggin Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:57 pm

If you want to burn up your motor, run it without the tin. All the proper tin needs to be in place to displace the engine heat and keep it out of the engine compartment; that way the motor always has cooler air to take in.

Run the tin... and proper seals.

VDubTech Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:57 pm

EZ Gruv wrote: Sugarbear wrote: should i be driving it with no engine tin?

Absolutely not!

Let me reiterate. NO!!! DO NOT DRIVE IT WITHOUT THE TIN!!!! Get the Creative Car Craft tin and install it or do it right and put the proper T4 motor in it.

Esher127 Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:57 pm

EZ Gruv wrote: Sugarbear wrote: should i be driving it with no engine tin?

Absolutely not!

Unless for some reason it's -50 below in Florida right now. :P

rustbus Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:57 pm

highly not recommended, you will stress teh engine temperature wise.

I think the correct conversion tin is somewhere around 200-$300. you should definately buy it, and if you love that motor, dont run without it.

:D

Sugarbear Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Thank you all super much it will be in the garage until i can save up some bucks to get it then! my question has def been answered

_ esher- I wish it was cold here damn hot Florida weather! i just moved here from Oregon.

Sugarbear Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:57 pm

sorry for being repetitive but has anyone used the 72-79 engine tin conversion kit made by creative car craft? they make a fiberglass kit that lets a type 1 motor run in a late bay securely.

[/url]http://www.creativecarcraft.com/notforbug.htm

EZ Gruv Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Sugarbear wrote: sorry for being repetitive but has anyone used the 72-79 engine tin conversion kit made by creative car craft? they make a fiberglass kit that lets a type 1 motor run in a late bay securely.

[/url]http://www.creativecarcraft.com/notforbug.htm

Yes, they have. Do a search for creative car craft.

Sugarbear Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:12 pm

I was looking at it. m last post i meant. ( has anyone used it before? ) how has it held up?

EZ Gruv Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Sugarbear wrote: ( has anyone used it before? ) how has it held up?

Again, yes they have. Search and you will find you answers.

Sugarbear Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:24 pm

O man, my apologies i didn't understand and thanks again! i even found a form to see how it looks. his muffler on this form is pretty beat up .

Esher127 Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Sugarbear wrote:

_ esher- I wish it was cold here damn hot Florida weather! i just moved here from Oregon.

Wow. I'm so sorry. lol!
Oregon is my dream state.
Florida is the worst place I've ever been!

jmstu76 Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:38 pm

tin is overrated

grandpa pete Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Put a window air conditioning unit in your garage.....I got a mig welder and an air conditioned garage!!! I can fix anything (with a little help from samba)...Where r u in fla ?

vwbusbusvw Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:12 pm

I have driven approximately 72,000 miles in the last 9 years without engine tin in my '77 bus. I have the full array of gauges showing temperatures and pressures. All of them have read normal. The engine has not been rebuilt in this time; the only work done was basic tune ups. I believe removing the tin saves a substantial amount of weight, and actually results in better performance and gas mileage. I have the logs to prove it!

I would not hesitate to drive across country in ANY bus with ANY engine without engine tin.

Engine tin - the greatest scam Volkswagen ever thought of.

Esher127 Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:55 pm

I know one or two people who have smoked their entire lives and are perfectly healthy.

But I choose to not live by the exception, so I'll keep my engine tin.

Sugarbear Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Esher, ya oregon was a blast! i lived there for 10 years, moved down to California for a year and then down to Florida. just checking out new areas. i do miss the green and cool climate.

Grandpa Pete, hey i am in palm bay going to the college here. i am about 3 hours from you! I am wanting to learn how to weld myself but any pointers or help is super awesome!

Jody '71 Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:22 am

Viewing your engine pic, it appears that you are missing the right top mustache bar bolt. You need that if you don't have it. The type 1 engine's mustache bar is different than the type 4 rear engine support bar when it's mated up to the body. How was that modified? You need all of your Type 1 tinwork.

wampe Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:35 am

Engine tin keeps water out of the engine compartment on rainy days. Water+electrical components=trouble. :bay_red: