TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: heater chanels
[email protected] Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:24 pm

need a total replacement on my '63 (channel,bottom plate running board plate etc.) I see california import parts has everything I need all assembled and ready to go for $90. Says they are danish. Any thoughts on these? What would you recomend I do. Also are there any good sites that detail the process or removing and replacing the heater channels? thanks a ton

bpbatch Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:49 pm

The Danish heater channels are the best... they are made of a thicker-grade steel than the Mexican/Brazilian channels, and they come with an inner heat tube in place (if you live in Florida, that tube may not be important and you can save a few bucks).

I recommend two things:

(1) Download www.vwtrendsweb.com/vw_trends_howto/ 015402ah/015402ahb.pdf. This is a basic how-to from VWTrends with a few photos to give you a rough idea of what you need to do to replace your channels.

(2) You MUST do this: buy the heater channel replacement video from http://www.bugmevideo.com. This 1-1/2 hour video is very good at showing you, step by minute step, how to replace the channels. Well worth the $30 investment.

You'll find the job isn't easy, and the video will baby-step you through it. I'm getting ready to do this myself on my Bug, and after seeing the process done firsthand it's something I wouldn't want to do without an expert next to me!!

Also, California Import Parts is where I ordered my heater channels, and they came well-wrapped, quickly and the price was right. I really liked them.

Good luck!
--Brian

[email protected] Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:05 pm

I'd love to see this vwtrends article about the heater channels...anyone have it? The link doesn't work anymore and after trolling through the site for a while, I couldn't find it anywhere.