TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Adding Passenger side-view mirror Page: Previous  1, 2
spanky324 Thu May 03, 2012 3:08 pm

Midamerica Motorworks has a template you can print for free that locates the position to drill!!

neil68 Thu May 03, 2012 4:17 pm

I just added a passenger (right) side mirror to my '68 Beetle. I made a template from the driver's side, flipped it over for the passenger side and drilled a small pilot hole just to be sure.

Then had to slightly file the hole to center it correctly, and then did the full size drill.

You need an M16 x 1.5 nut and I used a similar method to the photo by mondshine, and added a drop of loctite (medium). It's easily reachable from inside the door :wink:

lehmberg Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:51 am

alex857 wrote: Hi,
if you want to have a more original look than in the previous post and you are redoing the scrapers on the door windows anyway, access is easy:

I did this a couple of weeks ago, drilled the hole, enlarged it so the mirror foot went through and used the nut without any difficulties.

The mirror installation looks the same like on the driverīs side then.
Alex
>>>>>

So Alex, are you still glad you did the side mirror? Any difficulties with it since you did it? I'm dying to do this... scared to mess up the paint though.

alex857 Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 am

Yes, everything fine, I like the stock-like look and the mirror is helpful.
Good luck, Alex

glennSKii Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:30 pm

hello all,

now there is a kit for installation on the right... like the left side set-up found on beetles from 46 to 67.

i have a 65 Baja.

here is the mounting kit i ordered.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-111-000

it will be in soon. i already have the right side mirror. it is waiting for the kit to come in.

i cant find any directions. anybody know how to do this? do i just drill a hole (the size of the pin supplied in the kit) into the top of the hinge (in the same place as that found on the left side).

thanks
glenn

glennSKii Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:30 pm

hello all,

now there is a kit for installation on the right... like the left side set-up found on beetles from 46 to 67.

i have a 65 Baja.

here is the mounting kit i ordered.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-111-000

it will be in soon. i already have the right side mirror. it is waiting for the kit to come in.

i cant find any directions. anybody know how to do this? do i just drill a hole (the size of the pin supplied in the kit) into the top of the hinge (in the same place as that found on the left side).

thanks
glenn

JustinCredibleVW Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:41 pm

Here is a step by step video tutorial for those who wish to have a factory looking passenger mirror, you will need access to a mig welder though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uniDbg6XTMc

nepbug Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:06 pm

spanky324 wrote: Midamerica Motorworks has a template you can print for free that locates the position to drill!!

And here's the link to that template. Helpful for any other people digging up this old thread about mirrors.

I'm still going to verify the template is correct on the driver side before using it on the passenger side though.

https://image.mamotorworksmedia.com/production/website/articlefiles/InstallFiles/306153.pdf

vamram Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:10 pm

I ended up installing a Ghia mirror I purchased from CIP1. Honestly - it's just OK. Super easy to install. It does make a difference, but the glass is not very good, the angle is flaky too so you really see very little of use. If you have the skills to do the correct Bug mirror, which has a longer neck giving you a better mirror placement for the view of passenger side traffic, I would go w/that.

Roscootis Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:38 am

Thanks for posting this! I have been curious about what to do on my wife's 72 Super since she's owned it. I never devoted the time to research it until now and I found your post! Thanks for taking the time to do so! Will save me a ton of time!!!

jwold wrote: Here's a pic of my OG convertible mirror with the ghia mount, and the extra little "object is closer than appears" mirror. Sorry for the blurryness, no flash and it was raining, but you get the idea.

The convertible mirrors and arm are slightly rounder shaped than the driver side...I didn't mind since it's just a driver.

Forget the big bolt idea...this took me about 1/2 hour to do this add on. You have to measure and drill 2 holes, and you don't have to tear your door apart to do it, and it looks pretty good, especially since it's OG VW as well.

I taped off the door first where I was going to drill the holes, the hardest part was making sure I was putting it in the correct location, i.e. level with the other side (oh and deciding to drill into the door of my car!).

I'm pretty sure that Wolfsburg West makes mirrors for both sides, at least they did when I was researching this project.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113857514D

I was going to get theirs but found this mirror on CL first, picked up the mount (and the advice to do it this way) at Always VW here in PDX.

Here are a few more photos I found: