TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Is my fuel pump bad?
vanjoe Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:46 pm

I ran my van out of gas and after putting in 10 gallons I had a hard time starting it. Finally got it started after tapping on the fuel pump. It ran about 5 minutes then died. It won't start again and I can't get the fuel pump to run. It is normal after running out of fuel that the pump burns up sometimes?

tencentlife Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:09 pm

No.

Bassyaks Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Just an idea, add more fuel
I recently replaced my fuel pump, I drained the old fuel and added 10 gals of new fuel, when it came time to attach the fuel line from the tank to the pump, nothing came out., I had to pressurize the tank with compressed air, then it started to flow

James 93SLC Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:32 pm

If your van doesn't have a filter located before the pump, then running the take dry may of allowed crud to make its way into the pump and jam it. That's why the tapping worked temporarily by dislodging the crud.
Pull the lines off the pump and try flushing it out.

vanjoe Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks guys I will try to remove the pump and clean it. I will also change the fuel filter. The filter is after the pump. Should I relocate the filter before the pump. That seems like it would make more sense to protect everything in the system.

syncrodoka Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:56 pm

No late model vans have a filter before the pump. They did away with them in the early models.
Have you checked the two wires that are attached to the fuel pump? If they are broken and making intermittant contact or corroded that might be your problem.
Good luck

BC Westie Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Sounds like you have sucked some crud into the pump.

I had a Bosch Filter after the pump. I then added the pre-pump little white box filter as well when I installed a new pump. Two filters are better then one :)

Good luck with flushing it out.

dhaavers Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:02 am

BC Westie wrote: ...I then added the pre-pump little white box filter as well when I installed a new pump. Two filters are better then one... ...until you clog that cube & have cavitation/pump starvation...just replace both filters every year & you'll be fine...

vanjoe Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:19 am

Update: I went to my friends house where my van was and tried to start it with no luck. I tapped on the fuel pump and disconnected the fuel line at the fuel tank and reconnected it. Tried to start the van and it started right up. Drove it home 20 miles with no problems. My advise don't run these vans out of gas. What a pain in the ass.