TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Speedometer Whining??
ricobuggy Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:12 pm

My speedometer is really whining when I get above about 10mph. Do you think it is the speedo cable or speedometer that is causing the problem or neither or both??? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Rich

[email protected] Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:47 pm

I've had this happen to me twice, and shortly thereafter the speedo cable broke both times. Try a bit of graphite on the cable near the back of your speedo, but you might just buy a new cable.

Jeremy Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:38 am

Is your odometer working or not?? if not one of the gears in the back of the speedo might have broken apart and gotten stuck which causes too much stress on the cable and makes it whine. usually the cable will snap about a week after it starts whining. the only way i know of to fix this is pull the speedo apart and break the rest of the cracked/broken gear off. just remember that your odometer will NEVER work again but the whining will be gone. I found this out after i replaced the speedo cable in my squareback three times in less than two months

ricobuggy Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:41 am

Thanks for the advise. My odometer and speedometer both work. I will take the advise and replace the speedo cable, then make sure it is not the speedometer. Thanks again!!

Aussiebug Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:03 pm

Replacing the speedo cable is the first thing to try - and it's cheap.

If the whining is still there, the next step is to grease the main shaft inside the speedo. This is not too hard to do. Remove speedo from car (mark the speedo wire locations), gently pry the chrome ring off the glass at the face, and then remove the face. Now you can remove the guts. The main shaft can be cleaned out with toothpicks, Qtips and WD40 to wash the old grease out (be careful not to oil up the speedo face though). Then use vasiline or other light grease and get it pushed right down the shaft towards the speedo cable end - you can also spin the worm drive backwards whilst pushing more grease in to help pull it down to the bearing. This will make more sense when you see it apart.

Check the ODO drive gear - on 73+ cars it's white plastic and eventually cracks. Good speedo places (like www.ccspeedometer.com in Florida) can replace this plastic gear with a brass one like the earlier speedos, then it will never crack again.

Rob
Rob and Dave's aircooled VW pages
Repairs and maintenance for the home mechanic
http://www.geocities.com/aussiebug1970/

[email protected] Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:40 am

Try just a couple of drops of very thin oil
(3in one oil in the blue and white can - not
the red and white, that has varnish in it)in
the end of the cable where it attaches to the speedo head. THEN, spray a little oil into the clearance between the diecast part that the cable turns and the stationary threaded sleeve around it. If this doesn't
do it, you must disassemble the speedo. I've
only done it once, and can't remember all
the pertinent points. Speedo shops charge $50.00 to disassemble and lube the inside.