TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: slammin`
innerself Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:27 pm

concerning slammed/low vw's, is there any way to drop the back of one without the camber in the: // \\ <-- back tires? it seems like its always like that, but the degree of the angle of the back tires when the car is lowered, just depends on how low it. also, do many people narrow their from beams theirselves? thanks.

thesamba kicks mad booty! w00t

innerself Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:28 pm

damn grammar. pardon my typo's and jacked spelling. heh

Nectar_F Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:31 pm

What do you mean? Dont you like the camber? It all about the camber!!!! The more camber you have, the better it is!!! I dont know whether or not you can narrow front beams yourself, But I would love to know the answer to that myself!!!!!!

innerself Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:31 am

its not that a really dislike it, it gives the veedub more charatcer, but it just seems like it would tend to unevenly put wear on the tire. i dont really know, i was just wondering.

Aircooled_Amsterdam Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:43 am

You can install an IRS tranny, and drop the car without the // \\ <--backtires....
That will solve the camber-situation.
If you never did a narrow before, don't try it, cause there are some tricks involved that you need to know about, just spend some $$$ and buy one , instead of spending a LOT of time on it and not be satisfied in the end...remember...the front end holds wheels and brakes and stuff....kind of stuff you depend on when your safety is at risk....Good luck
Frank

innerself Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:49 am

thanks, frank.

SonicVW Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:01 pm

Ron Lummus Racing does real nice work on his narrowed beams and cuts the tierods and all. He is a little pricey but the quality job more than makes up for it. Stay away from the mail order companies that sell the narrowed beams that just have been cut and a sleeve installed. I have seen many that have bent to the outside of the cut. We do them but right now I am only doing them for the cars we have currently going (just not enough manpower). I would send it to Lummus if it were mine and I was unable to do it. And I say leave the camber. What's it another $150-$200 for tires when you gain a look that keeps common folk guessing.

krusher Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:01 am

i have narrowed my own beam, if you can weld then go for it.

[email protected] Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:10 am

If I wanted to lower my 69 what would i have to do? What kinds of suspension is good and there is no other way to fix the camber with a lowered bug?
Thanks
MARK