TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front Wheel Alignment
Rooodie Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:36 pm

Hello,
Anyone know where I can get information on front wheel alignment for a 62. I just bought a new beam and all the components but need some help getting the alignment done.
Thanks

[email protected] Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:16 pm

1/8 " toe in. you can do it with a measuring tape just check it a few times to make sure its right. For your link and king pin shims there is a chart you go by to get them right, sorry I dont have it in front of me. Also is it lowered?

Rooodie Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:25 pm

It is and adjustable beam with lowered spindles. Does this make a difference?

vw62rag Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:20 pm

i also have a 62 bug,and i need to fix the alignment too,i have a adjustable front beam thats lowered.i dont wana let no body here in kansas touch it.

keifernet Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:50 pm

Use the caster shims on the lower 2 tubes and go ahead and pay a reputable alignment shop with the newest best computer alignment machine available to do it... with all new parts and the threads of the tie rod ends lubed and free ect... there is not much they can screw up.... you will NOT get it right by any shade tree way and it will eat your tires and new parts up in no time...
Fill tank to 1/2 to 3/4 full and ask if someone can sit in the car drivers side (not you, you want to watch...) and put some weight (dumbells or plastic sand filled to about 120 lbs-175) on the passenger side....

This may sound strange but believe me it works for the best results.....

Rooodie Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:30 pm

Yeah you are right, I will find a good shop.
Thanks