TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Spark Plug Question
Jeff H Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:32 pm

Howdy;
I'm going to change spark plugs soon, and I plan to stay with Bosch. The site I'm looking at says that the W8AC are "cool" and the W7AC are "hot" plugs Both are listed for my 71 Super (all stock). Would you tell me what you guys run, and your experience with either?
Also, at $5.95 per plug, do any of you think it's worth going to Bosch Platinum?
I appreciate your thoughts!

Jeff

keifernet Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:19 am

Platinums are not worth it... Stick with the W8-AC and be sure to put a smear of grease on the threads and gap .024-.028

EverettB Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:18 am

I've always heard Platinums run too hot for the air-cooled engine, I stick with Bosch Supers

truckersmike Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:10 pm

I've always used NGK. Aircooled.net recomends them as well.

[email protected] Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:32 pm

Jeff, I've always used W8AC plugs in my Beetles and W7AC in my Westy. I've have also had a few people mention that the W7AC doesn't work well in a Beetle unless you are doing a lot of high-speed freeway driving in hot climates. That makes sense to me, as the W7AC is a cool plug and the W8AC a normal plug. Neil.

Jeff H Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:07 pm

Hey thanks guys!
I was mostly curious about the W7AC - what they meant by "hotter" plug. I assumed it was probably temperature range - kind of like needing to run cooler plugs when we used to convert pickups over to run on LP gas. But I wasn't sure why you would want a different temp range on your plugs
Also, "truckersmike": I ran NGK in my Bug once and had trouble. Over the years I've seen people post on the Volkswebbin site that have also had trouble with them - but just in Bugs. What do you suppose gives with that?
Anyway, thanks for your input guys!

Jeff