TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jon_slider Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:51 am

I live in Santa Cruz, Hollister is close to me, and I would enjoy overnighting there more often than once a year.

I enjoy the opportunity to use my Syncro at Hollister, but even a 2wd Van can have fun there.

Other places I find beautiful nearby include Davenport, we had a day gathering near there at Greyhound Rock, called the Surfing Westies.

Though parking lot day meets are fun, I prefer venues that allow me to BBQ, and spend the night.

In Big Sur, I know of free camping on Nacimiento Ferguson Road.

What do you Volks think, anyone interested in getting together? Suggestions for places to meet, things to do, welcome.

Inlet Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm interested.

Jon_slider Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:23 am

I will be driving from Santa Cruz to Big Sur this Sunday leaving at 9am to meet at 12 noon at Los Burros Road, with another Van or two to explore.

2wd OK, and if you want to overnight, I know of some free camping in the area

anyone interested in joining in, please do

Happy Trails

syncrodoka Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:41 pm

I thought that you guys were going next sunday.
I am out with a broken header that needs to visit a welder, if it wasn't SS I would fix it myself :(

Jon_slider Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:11 pm

I will also be available Sunday Nov 14th if you like, and at least one other Van is interested for that time.. I can also do Saturday November 13th.. whats best for you?

The trip for this Sunday Nov 7th may require a weather delay, depending how intense the rain turns out to be..

will update

here is a shot of Bixby Bridge from the Old Coast Road

Team WorldTour Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:52 pm

<post deleted>

AnmlMthrM60 Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:22 pm

I'd like to head up that way in the near future and play around. I just have to get the Westfalia back together. I have a Coast Highway trip in the works. I'd like to see the old Coast Highway.

aswah Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:30 pm

I live up in Mendo and usually work weekends... but I am down for some camping... timing will be the issue

blakeck2 Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Girlfriend has it off so count on us for the weekend of the 13th \:D/

Jon_slider Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:29 pm

today we drove from Lost Burros Road, (3.6 miles south of Gorda). It starts at Treebones Resort and Hwy 1, (there is a sign that uses the name Willow Creek Road, its also listed as Forest Route 23S01). we then drove along the South Coast Ridge Road to Nacimiento Ferguson Road, which rejoins Hwy 1 near Kirk Creek Campground.

It was about 35 miles of dirt, about a 2 hour drive.

The drive was really fun! One vehicle, the white Van, was a 2WD with 27x8.5x14 BFG At KO's, the other, a gold Syncro had the same size tires, in General Grabber

At first the road was not too wet and slippery, towards the top and near the end it got a bit more soaked and a little more slippery.

Overall the conditions were great, no views, but beautiful country to be in. Highly recommended.

a short video

and some photos
Paulas Restaurant, Santa Cruz

cheap gas in Monterey

begin Los Burros Road

A black Beetle crossing

beautiful country

love the red dirt

more dirt

fun driving!

exploring camp site possibilities

happy as pigs in a sty

DAIZEE Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:05 am

such dirty pics :!: :wink: Nice, thanks

cvbill Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:17 am

I'll see if I can make it on the 13th. Can meet up w/ SC group on Hiwy 1 at Monastery Beach about 3 miles S of Carmel. Good view of the parking area from road.
I assume Blake will be coming from the south end as he lives in Los Osos now (!)
Times?
Jon, like all the photo work; and quick too!

tdwesty Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:32 am

Jon it was great hanging out with in the dirt,fun times.
Thanks for meeting up and going for it
Just your normal Sunday drive.
David

Jon_slider Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:55 am

Thanks for suggesting this drive David, it was great to have your company.

Blake and Bill, I look forward to getting together on the 13th. I am open to spending the night if others are interested too.

If people want to do the same route, I would suggest meeting at 12 noon at the spot in the photo titled, Begin Los Burros Road.

Treebones Resort
71895 California 1
Big Sur, CA 93920-9573
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=fi...mp;iwloc=A

The Vans at that spot are visible from the road in both directions. It is about 30 feet above Hwy1, on the mountain side.

syncrodoka Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Quote: Overall the conditions were great, no views, but beautiful country to be in. Watching the sun go down over the fog line of the ocean from the roof tent

Morning version

DLJ Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Hey Jon: I want to join in. Just talked to Bill, he and I can meet up with you guys but I need instructions as to where you plan to leave from.
Dave

cvbill Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:53 pm

David Jordan and I will be camping Sat. night. Anyone else?
Bill Langan

syncrodoka Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:56 pm

I might- if I get my exhaust fixed in time.

camit34 Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Jon_slider wrote:

I'm only kidding with this but...CHEAP GAS!!! I paid $2.49 to fill my 4Runner today...

Boy it's gonna hurt when we finally move back to Cali...

cheap gas in Monterey

camit34 Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:14 pm

I'm only kidding with this but...CHEAP GAS!!! I paid $2.49 to fill my 4Runner today...

Boy it's gonna hurt when we finally move back to Cali...

camit34 wrote: Jon_slider wrote:
cheap gas in Monterey