TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Santa Cruz area Syncro Camping with The Lost Burritos Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jon_slider Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 pm

> Hey Jon: I want to join in.

great Dave! the more the merrier

I think the official meeting place should be at the base of Los Burros Road, at 12 noon Saturday the 13th

My eta at Los Burros Rd. is 11:30am, departing Paulas Restaurant in Santa Cruz at 9am.

the address of Los Burros Road intersection with Hwy 1 is:
71895 California 1
Big Sur, CA 93920-9573
http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=fi...mp;iwloc=A

I will also look for Dave and Bill along my route at Monastery Beach, I should be there by 10:15am

I also want to spend the night.

Im hoping Syncrodoka may stop by and share some of his local knowledge on Sunday.

I plan to bring a pair of walkie talkies on channel 8. There is no cell phone reception. I think Bill carries a CB radio..

If some folks want to join us on Sunday, we should create a rendez vous point time and place.. for example, at the base of Nacimiento Fergusson Road at 10am, or some other concrete time and place.. maybe the intersection of Nacimiento and the Coast Ridge Road...suggestions welcome..

so far attendees seem to be 4 syncros, Me, Blake with Brigitte, Bill and Dave, with a possible cameo appearance by syncrodoka Mario.

Los Burros Road and the Coast Ridge Road do not require 4wd when dry. The forecast is for sun from Thursday thru Saturday.. if you have a 2wd come and join the fun.

tdwesty Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:51 pm

I would love to go and camp with all of you this time but will be out of town that weekend.
Have a blast.
david

syncrodoka Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Quote: I'm only kidding with this but...CHEAP GAS!!! I paid $2.49 to fill my 4Runner today...

Boy it's gonna hurt when we finally move back to Cali...
Monterey and carmel have expensive gas for the area. Don't even think about filling up in Big Sur if you think that is expensive. :shock:

blakeck2 Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:27 pm

cvbill wrote:
I assume Blake will be coming from the south end as he lives in Los Osos now (!)

That I do :wink:

Brigitte and I will be up on the 13th around noon and are down to camp for the night.

Texxxxx Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Looks like a fun time, Jon and David.

Sorry I missed you, TDWesty.

I'm sure all you guys will have a blast on the 13th...previous commitment for me...looks to be a good sized bunch!

syncrodoka Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:39 pm

Remember that there is nothing out there. No toilet, running water, ranger, light etc. so pack accordingly. I have also seen boar tracks, coyotes and this little guy while camping there-

I am not trying to scare anybody, just making sure that folks are aware. The place is worth being prepared for.
I have never had a problem there and I have taken the kids there several times.

AnmlMthrM60 Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Man! I wanna come play with you guys!

Psssst.... there's a nice blue doner car next to the Syncro :wink:

cvbill Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:35 am

Boys, Monastery Beach is 1.5 miles south of Rio Road, Carmel by the Sea. Rio Road is the last stop light on Highway 1 heading south to Big Sur. There is a shopping center on the left, if you need anything.
I will be at Monastery Beach at 10 am on Sat.

I may take some pics and post them as a nav aid.
Bill L

cvbill Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:13 am

Paul and Kirstin, come on by if you can make it. Post here... I didn't even know about private posts 'till this morning; hell, there was 4 of them going back to May I was unaware of.

More info to come.

Are you approaching Pinnacles from hwy 25 (east Pinnacles) or hwy 101 ( west Pinnacles? You can walk between E and W Pinnacles but not drive by car. If you are into hiking, this is it!
Bill

bitingspider Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:19 am

It'd be fun to drive with y'all but I think we're hunkering down at Plaskett with families.
Should anyone feel so inclined, there'll be 3 westies with many kids at Plaskett Creek campground.

Weather looks fantastic!

Jon_slider Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:22 am

> there'll be 3 westies with many kids at Plaskett Creek campground

great to know, Im so glad folks are chiming in

fwiw, If anyone wants to ride along in a Syncro, I have room. It would be great if you even just meet us at the beginning of Los Burros for a photo shoot

looking forward

presslab Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:42 am

I'd like to play too! My Westy is 2wd. I need final approval from the GF but the weekend looks open. Should I bring the mountain bikes? Any kind of trails for hiking/biking?

Could I stay in someone's driveway Friday night? I'll be coming from Santa Rosa.

Jon_slider Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:28 pm

I think its great bike country! So glad you might join us.

Coming from Santa Rosa, I recommend you spend the night at Davenport, there is unregulated free camping on the large dirt lot on the ocean side.

that means driving down the beautiful coast route.. including a stop for Clam Chowder at Sams in Half Moon Bay. (if its busy, order at the outside Bar to bypass the wait)

To reach Los Burros Road in Big Sur, you should leave Davenport by about 8:30 am

if you want to join me for breakfast, I plan to be at Paula's Restaurant, 3500 Portola Drive, Santa Cruz, by about 8:15am, leaving there at 9am

I will be wearing a handlebar stash
Old Coast Road, Big Sur:

syncrodoka Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:36 pm

I wanted to mention that you need to have a burn permit to have a fire. It is worth getting if you want to have a campfire.
I faxed it to them and had it back in 15 minutes when I got mine. They are free and are good for a year.
You will have to cut and paste the link-
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p...;pname=Los Padres National Forest- Passes & Permits

I have one and will probably be able to attend since the welder said I will have the header back in a few days.

I have been up there in my 2wd in the past and it wasn't a problem. Just in case someone is interested in dropping by and is worried about the terrain.

Inlet Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:47 pm

The campground in davenport does it have a bathroom?

madspaniard Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:54 pm

bitingspider wrote: It'd be fun to drive with y'all but I think we're hunkering down at Plaskett with families.
Should anyone feel so inclined, there'll be 3 westies with many kids at Plaskett Creek campground.

Weather looks fantastic!

As much as I'd like to hang out with the boys along Los Burros, I don't think my pregnant wife and 18 month old baby will enjoy being strapped for that long in the car, your family deal sounds like a better option, where is this Plaskett Creek campground?

Jon_slider Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:57 pm

to find plasket type or paste this
plaskett creek , Big Sur, CA
into this link (cant figure out how to link direct)
http://tinyurl.com/2dfylr
is 3 miles north of our meeting place on Los Burros Road

Davenport is Not a campground, it is a beach access and stealth camping location by the road. There are No facilities, but there are restaurants accross the street. In this case I say stealth not because no one can see you, but rather because you wont be bothered if you choose to sleep there for free. It is Not posted, as far as I know, with any sign that says, no parking from 10pm to 6am, common along most of the rest of the pull outs along Hwy 1, and All the other State Parks, like Greyhound Rock, 6 miles north of Davenport.

Davenport is a very beautiful place, and if you are unobtrusive, I dont think anyone will bother you. I did once observe a VW camper that appeared to be there for several nights in a row without issue. Help support the local businesses and Im sure they wont mind if you use their toilet.

a couple pics of Davenport

presslab Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Ok, it's a go! Davenport sounds great, thanks for the info. I'll meet up for breakfast too.

syncrodoka Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:53 pm

I got my header back today so I will be there.
I found a torn front outer CV boot that I need to replace before I go. The bummer is that it isn't a old boot, it is probably 2 years old at most.

cvbill Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:00 am

Mario, maybe Santa will bring some boot protectors to you....

I will be at Monastery Beach (also called Carmel State Beach) at 10:00am, waiting for you all
Bill