TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Did Hebmullers ever have an Oval dash? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
[email protected] Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:34 pm

Hello, I was wondering if Hebmullers ever had a Oval window dash, and how about little holes in the engine lid were the plates go on? Almost like vent holes for the engine. If anyone has a ton of hebmuller info that would be great. Thanks
-Jim

[email protected] Sat Nov 23, 2002 11:38 pm

Yes Hebmuller made some cars with an Oval dash. Possibly as many as 12. After the Hebmuller factory ceased to exist the Karmann factory finished off the initial Hebmuller order and finished poss 12 cars. There is a '51 Hebmuller out there Brought over from Europe by Albert Beale, restored in Germany that had the split dash removed and Replaced with an oval dash as they thought is was the wrong dash, even though all the wiring looked to be original where it connected to the zwitter dash components, that car will soon be receiving a correct dash. I have never seen any holes where the license plate goes and I have have numerious reference photos, and a Car in the garage for reference.
A.J.S.

Oldbugss Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:04 pm

Very interesting. I thought the pics I have of a local Hebmuller was just a slapped together freik of leftover parts. I was shocked as to how little attention this car was getting. A Heb in the Midwest is rare indeed. I hope I can find this guy again....
'bugss~

peter schepens Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:40 am

I must recall Andy on this one , Sorry dude
He say that they made at least 12 hebs with Oval dashes....
Never ever...as fas as I know.

All the hebmullers and also the one made by Karmann in 53 are made original with Splitwindow dashes.
I have contacted several people and there is nobody that knows a heb with oval dash. In Bad camberg meeting in 99 was there the black and red Heb that was made by Karmann and was verry original. The car appeared last summer in Holland complete restored and looks fine with that split dash.

The one mentioned above, that came from Germany is not known by me . Is there anybody who owns a pict and or the bodynumber??
I whould like to have one , real or picts.. :roll:
Thanks.

53 0val Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:00 am

[email protected] wrote: Yes Hebmuller made some cars with an Oval dash. Possibly as many as 12. After the Hebmuller factory ceased to exist the Karmann factory finished off the initial Hebmuller order and finished poss 12 cars. There is a '51 Hebmuller out there Brought over from Europe by Albert Beale, restored in Germany that had the oval dash removed and Replaced with an oval dash as they thought is was the wrong dash, even though all the wiring looked to be original where it connected to the zwitter dash components, that car will soon be receiving a correct dash. I have never seen any holes where the license plate goes and I have have numerious reference photos, and a Car in the garage for reference.
A.J.S.

:shock: I don't think so. A '53 maybe........ but never a '51. What's in that cigar Andy?

Hebster52 Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:15 am

14 of the 15 cars assembled by Karmann after Hebmüller factory closed down used the Hebmuller made bodies with splitdashs. According to my sources the one and only made in 1953 had in fact oval dash... :roll:

bro2539 Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:22 am

i have personally seen a heb with an oval dash. i was told by the owner that someone replaced it with the oval dash long before he had it, but i have heard since that their was a few made with oval dashes. i have my picture next to it, but unfortunatly, i did not take a picture of the dash, because i thought it was wrong. i believe the guy lived in arkansas, and i saw it at the nacadoches,tx show in 2001 or 2002. i will post the pic, it may have a good shot of the tag number. it was dark red/off white.

Bruce Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:39 am

I gotta go with the "never an oval dash" camp on this one. When I personally laid eyes on the last Heb ever made in 91 at the Karmann collection, I would have noticed an oval dash. I maybe have pics.

Hebster52 Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:47 am

Bruce, do you know what bodynumber the one you saw had?

I can look through my papers and check which bodynumber the one I refered to that might have the ovaldash. I think I have the number somewhere so I have to check that up.

Bruce Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:57 am

Don't know the body #. Our tour guide just said it was the last Heb made. Made by Karmann.
Since the last Heb made was assembled in 53 by Karmann, I assumed this to be it.
The point of Karmann building the car was to finish a car started by Hebmuller. All Hebs were started long before the oval dash appeared.

Skim Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:12 pm

bro2539 wrote: i have personally seen a heb with an oval dash. i was told by the owner that someone replaced it with the oval dash long before he had it, but i have heard since that their was a few made with oval dashes. i have my picture next to it, but unfortunatly, i did not take a picture of the dash, because i thought it was wrong. i believe the guy lived in arkansas, and i saw it at the nacadoches,tx show in 2001 or 2002. i will post the pic, it may have a good shot of the tag number. it was dark red/off white.

Are you talking about Don Garies red / white Heb #6? If so, that car has a split dash and its an early Hebmuller production line car. Thats one of two I know of in Texas. The other one is in Houston and has a split dash as well.

mbugz60 Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:18 pm

Don Garies' heb was a hack job, it's anybody's guess if anything is original on that car.

Skim Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:22 pm

I'll never forget the time it debuted at the Ennis Bug In after it was...Ahem...***freshly restored*** and they had the back bumper brackets on the front and the front bumper sat out almost a foot.

mbugz60 Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:23 pm

Skim wrote: I'll never forget the time it debuted at the Ennis Bug In after it was ***freshly restored*** and they had the back bumper brackets on the front and the front bumper sat out almost a foot.

Yeah, I saw that.

Skim Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:58 pm

I remember they were the rear bumper brackets because they were 3 layers thick.

bro2539 Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:39 pm

no, it wasnt Don's. i feel sorry for what that old man had to go through with that car. he got burned on that one.....the one i saw was a darker red and im 100% positive it had an oval dash. i dont know if it was original or not, but it had it.

mbugz60 Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:55 pm

bro2539 wrote: no, it wasnt Don's. i feel sorry for what that old man had to go through with that car. he got burned on that one.....the one i saw was a darker red and im 100% positive it had an oval dash. i dont know if it was original or not, but it had it.

Mike Leach has or had a heb that had a newer front clip on it. I can't be positive if it was an oval clip. I think he is from the Houston area.

53 0val Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:03 pm

Bruce wrote: Don't know the body #. Our tour guide just said it was the last Heb made. Made by Karmann.
Since the last Heb made was assembled in 53 by Karmann, I assumed this to be it.
The point of Karmann building the car was to finish a car started by Hebmuller. All Hebs were started long before the oval dash appeared.

My point exactly. :roll:

Hebster52 Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:13 am

Checked the bodynumbers this morning.

The last one built in 1953 had the bodynumber 14-0730, which isn't the highest bodynumber know for that matter. The highest known is 14-0735 and was the last (and only car)assambled by Hebmüller in 1951. The bodynumbers weren't given in the same order as the finished car. Especially in the end...

By some sources the last one built in 1953 did have ovaldash and by others not. I have no proof of what is correct, but if you think that the bodies were modified in one productionline by numbers then the -53 probably would have had splitdash too since the bodynumber 735 was assambled already in -51.... :roll:

BTW. Don's car had the bodynumber 14-0006 and was indeed a jiggsaw puzzle but anyways I'd say that those who say it was crappy restored are just jealous and would find faults in just about any mint condition Vintage car... :x Wrong bumperbrakets dont kill yoú they just look ugly... :wink:

May Don Rest in Peace... He had a lot of knowledge regarding early Hebs that was lost when he pasted away.. Don't know how or where his car is now. :cry:

mbugz60 Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:53 am

Hebster52 wrote:

BTW. Don's car had the bodynumber 14-0006 and was indeed a jiggsaw puzzle but anyways I'd say that those who say it was crappy restored are just jealous and would find faults in just about any mint condition Vintage car... :x Wrong bumperbrakets dont kill yoú they just look ugly... :wink:

May Don Rest in Peace... He had a lot of knowledge regarding early Hebs that was lost when he pasted away.. Don't know how or where his car is now. :cry:

I knew Don Garies from going to Ennis twice a year. He was not very knowledgeable of any vw. He relied on what people told him, and this got him screwed more than once. I am sure he could tell you more about a heb than I could because I have never dealt with the full history on them. I saw his heb in bare metal and it was a hack job by anybody's standards. I heard him discussing the door sag with someone and he said he was going to have his shop hand weld some angle iron runners under the car for strength. All I am saying is that a car that rare deserved a lot better restoration than it got.