TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Two tone wheel....update(help)
wsurfn Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:18 pm

Hi guys:

Well, my old man says the price of education comes high. I am feeling
it now.

I have a 66 vert. that I wanted to paint original two tone
black/white (yes I know now the verts were solid black)

I had the wheels sandblasted and primed. I painted them all
semi-gloss black with Rustoleum enamel (5-7 coats).

I consulted here to get the "correct" white that was supposed to be
Pearl White, and it was thought Krylon antique white was a close
match.

I bought all the shades of rattle-can white I could find. I went with
Krylon ivory, since I thought antique white looked too much like
beige.

I waited three days. Masked (took for ever). And applied the paint.
In the morning I freaked. It bubbled and cracked up.

I tried to brush it off, used thinner, but ultimately had to
sandblast and start at square one.

This time, after painting them black again, I waited a week and used
Rustoleum nautical white enamel. I painted only one wheel. I also
used the ring of aluminum flashing idea for the mask.

SAME RESULT!!!! It bubbled and cracked in areas again.

WHY?????????

I am about to give up and learn to like solid black. I thought I
would ask you guys first.

Help me learn.
Mark

Strato56 Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:19 am

I'm going to make a couple assumptions. First, I'm guessing the primer that was applied is not krylon rattle can. If that's true, that's most likly your problem. Paints have a hard time bonding to primers that are not made by the same manufacturer. A friend of mine painted his whole car with a different brand of paint than his primer and after a couple years it started bubbling, etc. Being that rattle can paint is pretty cheap, it's most likly just happening a lot faster. I would recommend you don't take the cheap way out of painting your wheels if you want them to last and look nice and invest in getting them sprayed with auto paint of the same brand as the primer being used. Other than that I have no idea why it would peal that quickly? Could also be that you didn't prep the surface correctly, or didn't prep it at all, but I'm making the assumption that you did. If you have restored your car, I would hope you want the wheels to look as nice as the rest of it, so spend a few extra bucks and get it done right, then you won't have this problem.

keifernet Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:21 pm

I agree with Ryan... when we both posted perviously in your other thread we stated proper cleaning and prep and primer. assuming you did do those things then you learned the hard way, (sorry I feel bad for not mentioning) that spray cans of different manufacturers (i.e. Rustoleum and Krylon) are not in most cases compatable. Thus the bubbling peeling you got. Or the surface was still contaminated by something from the sandblasting process,

did you wipe the rims down with thinner and or wax and grease remover?
did you sand blast them yourself or take them to a place? if so....

did they come from the blaster primered or bare metal? and then did you prime them?

A least your only out some time and few buck for the cans of paint. I think I would either try wiping them down with laquer thinner and see if it will cut the paint off or get a can of aircraft paint stripper and get it all off and start over...
good luck

wsurfn Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:32 pm

Thanks for your replies:

I am trying to learn from this mess. No, I did not prime them. The person who sandblasted them did.

I did not wipe down the primer with anything. I applied the black on tom of that. I did not sand between coats.

Multiple black coats went well. But it was the white (the second time it was the same brand/kind of paint) on top that would not take well.

Again, I just want to learn from this.
Thanks,
Mark

keifernet Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:09 pm

Mark, well you are learning! And I am definantly not knocking you in any way shape or form. I have been down that road plenty of times, I have had rattle can mishaps by the dozens! Usually on a part that you want to look decent but is not worth the time or expense to get real auto grade paint. Your rims may or may not be worth it to you. I would have sugessted getting auto topcoat but figured you may not have the proper equipment to do that. And I have done the rattle can thing and had good results, but I have had a few failures too. I'd say stay away from Rustoleum and Krylon for what your trying to do and get some "Duplicolor" (or other.. "Marhyde" may be another brand) auto type paint in a can at a good parts house or paint supplier.
Good luck, "endeavor to persevere"