TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Reflective side tape Page: 1, 2  Next
16CVs Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:23 pm

Has anybody been able to duplicate the factory reflective tape on the late model vanagons. This is the tape that runs down the side of the van in the indent . It is about 3 inches wide.
If you know what I am talking about or know where to get it let me know.

Stacy

thatvwbusguy Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:36 am

It's not what the factory used, but if you are looking for something highly reflective to help the van stand out at night, 3M ScotchLite tape is amazing stuff. It is available in width's ranging from 1/4" to 6" in several colors. I have seen it used on bumpers and lower body panels to add a high visibility stripe. Should look good and work well on the beltline indent as well.

vwlovr Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:26 am

what color is it? if it's silver/white i'd go in on a roll of matching vinyl. i want to make some reflective lettering stickers and i have access to a vinyl cutter so i could cut stripes of any size from it and use the rest to make some things i need.

hiram6 Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:58 am

available in multiple colors. I have some black 3m reflective tape on my motorcycle. The bike is black as well, so the tape is near invisible until headlights hit it, then it looks bright silver.

Timwhy Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:25 am

I saw a Westy this Fall driving in front of me at night and it had the reflective
tape all around in the location you mention. The van that I saw, the tape was
two tone angled stripes. I thought that it looked really strange but driving behind
it at night you did see it for sure.

I added some reflective tape to my doors and rear hatch, so they can be seen
while open. My new car has the reflectors, but the tape should work well too.

ZimZam Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:17 am

Hefty Smurf has a material on his. Check his recent comments. Someone was just asking about it, and it looks good and works well from what I remember.

IdahoDoug Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:06 am

I'd also be interested in going in on a large roll of the 3M tape in a white/silver. It will be about 6 months however as I'm re-doing the exterior at that time and would wait until I've settled on a body color to settle on a tape stripe. I plan to put it in the indent and find a place on the front and rear as well for high vis. I also have a vinyl cutter/plotter and may cut out the "Syncro" on the front in this same material if I can find an image file for it. I think it's a great idea for safety as well as a unique look at night.

DougM

HeftySmurf Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:12 am

Yes sir works/looks great.
Having a dark colored van I figured it might save me from a blindside.

Also some small LEDs in side the driver/passenger doors look pretty good and can save a door as well.

PNWesty Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:23 am

Quote: Yes sir works/looks great.
Are you using the 3M tape?

climberjohn Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:53 am

HeftySmurf wrote:

Hefty, that is one sweet looking Syncro you have, very nice work.

-CJ

HeftySmurf Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:13 pm

PNWesty wrote:
Are you using the 3M tape?
I got it from Kirk, pretty sure it is a commercial grade reflective tape used by places like the road commission.

One more islander... Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:22 pm

If you don't want to wait to share a big roll of this with someone, these guys sell it in 15 foot rolls.

http://www.identi-tape.com/3m-conspicuity.htm

I bought this, plus a couple of other kinds of tape for non-Westy Iprojects (non-skid, etc.) Their prices were good and the service, even shipping into Canada, was very quick and not very expensive.

15 feet was enough to do inside the doors and both bumpers, front and back, where I was missing the black rubber strips. I rounded the corners. There's still a couple of feet left. I like the idea of doing the underside of the rear hatch!

---

Kathy

88 Westy

vanaru Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:12 pm

One more islander... Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:40 pm

That looks really cool, Vanaru!

Did the tape come that way, or did you cut it to get the checkerboard?

----

Kathy

Antron Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:54 pm

Any sign shop should be able to get you want you need. It comes in a few colors.

Bob
1987 syncro

bquigs Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:15 pm

I was thinking of using this:

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/reflective-tape-3747.cfm

It looks like it would almost match my maroon paint by day and by night...well not so sure but its only five bucks for 50 yards! Military surplus like this is usually very high quality aslo.

vanaru Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:48 am

Did the tape come that way, or did you cut it to get the checkerboard

I bought the roll and cut them into squares...cheap. the roll was a dollar at a discount store.

did this after the first vanagon was rear ended!

1621 Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:21 pm

vanaru wrote:

Looks cool, what does it look like in the daylight? Is it noticeable?

As for folks considering this, you can also find reflective tape at hardware stores and FLAPS. Often they are white and red. Red is nice on the back end as it simulates brake lights if you're ever performing roadside repairs with your back to traffic.

ZimZam Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:45 pm

vanaru wrote:

Did your state flag have anything to do with your choice? :wink:

Bassyaks Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:33 pm

I'm getting ready to cut some Westfalia decals for the camper tops
I'm going to use reflextive white, we use it on my Bassyaks stickers and they glow!! I should have something cut on the plotter by the end of the week
I'll post results

Steve
www.Bassyaks.com