TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Thing not showing up in Classifieds
aci4369 Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:48 pm

I am trying to list a Thing in the Clasisfieds and have listed it 2 times in about 2 hours and it isn't showing up. The first time my computer died as soon as I hit enter :evil: so I don't think that one went through. The seond time I double checked everything and thought for sure that I put it in the classified section... Now I can't find it. Is there a delay in time from when you post it to when it posts? Do they have to filter them or something?

I am a Mod of a Jeep forum so I know how forums work, just my first experience with THIS forum. Thanks for the help in advance.

Andy

norcalmike Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:59 pm

you ad is definitly not there. no delays, it should be up right away. try again, if not, email site admin.

///Mink Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:08 pm

I have posted many ads without issue. You should try asking in the site forum and see if Everett has any ideas:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=17

I suspect your ad has many large photos and you are not allowing sufficient time for it to upload and resize each of them.

saddlesore1 Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:13 pm

it is very irritating and I do not know why but... Apperently you have to press the "show new items" button in order to see new items. They do not just repopulate new items. Seem stupid to me. I would think that if a new item is posted it would go to the top of the list with the time it was posted rather than items that were posted several days or weeks ago listed as YESTERDAY.

Insight anyone?

///Mink Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:26 pm

saddlesore1 wrote: it is very irritating and I do not know why but... Apperently you have to press the "show new items" button in order to see new items. They do not just repopulate new items. Seem stupid to me. I would think that if a new item is posted it would go to the top of the list with the time it was posted rather than items that were posted several days or weeks ago listed as YESTERDAY.

Insight anyone?

Newly updated ads are mingled with newly placed ads. You can choose what you want to view.

Foxx Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:03 pm

aci4369 wrote: I am trying to list a Thing in the Clasisfieds and have listed it 2 times in about 2 hours and it isn't showing up. The first time my computer died as soon as I hit enter :evil: so I don't think that one went through. The seond time I double checked everything and thought for sure that I put it in the classified section... Now I can't find it. Is there a delay in time from when you post it to when it posts? Do they have to filter them or something?

I am a Mod of a Jeep forum so I know how forums work, just my first experience with THIS forum. Thanks for the help in advance.

Andy
it works,.you are prolly doing something wrong or posting pics too large.
read all the info. even after you hit post,.make sure it says "ad posted"

aci4369 Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:07 pm

Ok thanks for the input. I will check on the picture sizes. That is the only thing that I can think it is. I am at work now and don't have the pictures so I will try again tomorrow.

Andy "is glad he saved the lengthy description" Cochran

EverettB Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:13 pm

My classifieds message for people having problems:

There are no ads from your account.
Ads appear immediately.

Here are some tips:
Are you getting the confirmation screen when you place an ad? Unless you get that screen - "Thank you for submitting a Classified ad" - the ad has not been placed.

It is possible that you are using too many photos or photos that are too large and your web browser is timing out. Make sure your photos(s) are each under 300 KB in size. If you have a lot of photos and most of them are over 100-150 KB each, you may want to try placing the ad with only one photo at first. You can add the remaining photos right afterward.

If you need help resizing photos, there are some tips and links to programs here in the Forums:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51

Please try again.

If you absolutely cannot get them to work, place the ad with no photos and email me the photos.

EverettB Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:15 pm

aci4369 wrote: Is there a delay in time from when you post it to when it posts? Do they have to filter them or something?
No, it is instant.

aci4369 wrote: I am a Mod of a Jeep forum so I know how forums work, just my first experience with THIS forum. Thanks for the help in advance
The classifieds is not a Forum so it's different.

///Mink wrote: saddlesore1 wrote: it is very irritating and I do not know why but... Apperently you have to press the "show new items" button in order to see new items. They do not just repopulate new items. Seem stupid to me. I would think that if a new item is posted it would go to the top of the list with the time it was posted rather than items that were posted several days or weeks ago listed as YESTERDAY.

Insight anyone?

Newly updated ads are mingled with newly placed ads. You can choose what you want to view.
If you only want to see new ads, click on "New Ads Only" in the Classifieds menu or the Classifieds section instead of "All Ads".

If you are looking in the Thing Vehicles section specifically, then yes, you see new ads (marked with ) and all updated ads.
If you want to see the new ads on top, click on "Show New Ads on Top" at the top of that section.

aci4369 Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks for the input. I will try it tomorrow. I did not resize any of the photos so that was probably it. Had 5-6 of them. I did not get the confirmation screen either. I sat for maybe 10 seconds and then went back to another screen ( I can't recall which one).

blankmange Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:31 am

aci4369 wrote: Thanks for the input. I will try it tomorrow. I did not resize any of the photos so that was probably it. Had 5-6 of them. I did not get the confirmation screen either. I sat for maybe 10 seconds and then went back to another screen ( I can't recall which one).

that's the screen that told you what you did wrong -- read it next time...

aci4369 Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:28 am

blankmange wrote: aci4369 wrote: Thanks for the input. I will try it tomorrow. I did not resize any of the photos so that was probably it. Had 5-6 of them. I did not get the confirmation screen either. I sat for maybe 10 seconds and then went back to another screen ( I can't recall which one).

that's the screen that told you what you did wrong -- read it next time...

Well played sir. =D>

EverettB Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:02 am

Yes, for some people if the photos are too large, your browser times out and you can get returned to the login screen or to a blank place ad screen.

If this occurs, follow my recommendations above.

aci4369 Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:03 am

It was the pictures. I resized them and cut some of them out. Thanks for the help. Hopefully someone will want this... It was a lot more work than I thought to post. haha

EverettB Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:20 am

Great.

If you having trouble with adding them all at once you can add more photos once the ad is up. Click on Manage in the Classifieds drop down menu up top, then edit the ad to add more photos.

aci4369 Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Got her up on there thanks for all the help.