TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Karly Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:35 pm

car - 1973 type 3 squareback
stock
dunno miles per gallon but I buy $50 worth of fuel and drive 500km/300miles a week
satisfaction level - I enjoy driving an air cooled car daily, I'm having issues at the moment with water leaking into the car so stripped the carpets out. But its cheap, reliable, thief proof (no one wants to steal anything from it) and I don't mind too much if it does gather a few dings. It can also fit a heap of stuff on it and I find is more comfortable to drive than the beetle.

I was driving my 36hp 1960 beetle daily, in the process it was getting a lot of dings, I wasn't able to do the work I wanted to do on it and I just felt it was getting wrecked. It's now got a Judson installed and now enjoys a weekend drive :) Its a lot cheaper to insure now as well.

skabonner Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:02 pm

67 beetle
1600 dp
Rancho pro street trans
165 in the front and 175/65 in the rear
25-30 mpg
20 or so miles a day
I love my Ilsa, and wouldn't trade it for anything

vdubbles24 Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:11 pm

63 type 1
1200 40hp
Big bore kit
Engle 100 cam and lifters
Square boss heads
1.1 ratio rockers

Stock tranny
6v

Stock wheels with bias ply white walls

It is my daily driver I drive it all around and to and from work. About 50 miles a day M-F. Weekends I really don't keep track. MPG about $40 a week but I run super unleaded.

I have had this one only about a month but I've drove it everyday but 2, master cylinder was on order. It's cold here in Indiana, we have got 3-4 inches of snow today and I will be in it in the morning drivin to work.

Future mods
Dual baby webers on 1200 heads "custom intakes are in the works"
Vintage speed exhaust of some sort
All new interior

Sorry no pics I can't post them from a iPhone for some reason

Thanks
Brandon

EXJAY Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:38 pm

VDubTech...those pics are just plain sweet! 8)

VDubTech Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:11 pm

EXJAY wrote: VDubTech...those pics are just plain sweet! 8)

Thanks man....just a few of the places that Bus has taken me.

sloans265 Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:21 pm

This is my daily driver car.I've put nearly 14 G's on it since I got it on the road 1 yr ago. Its only left town twice so its all city driving. Running original 36hp

I've never had a daily driver that WASN'T a VW. With the exeption of a Mazda I used to commute when working offshore.

shokwave2 Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:40 pm

1600DP, all stock engine, except air cleaner.

Bought in Jan this year, sold the family car to buy it, so it is my daily driver now. Love driving it. As Canni said, these cars are pretty much theft proof down here as old cars aren't seen as valuable or worth stealing i guess in Australia.

I drive to work every day, about 10kms (6 miles) and to the beach on weekends (same distance). And when i'm bored on weekends ill jump in the bug and go for a cruise. It's cheaper to run than my wifes car. We have a third child on the way and i've told her she'll have to sell her car to get a bigger car. Mine's not going anywhere.

lucille66 Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:59 pm

This is my daily. I drive about 40 miles a day here in southern California. I have a 1600 single port with a stock transmission. Slammed and narrowed suspension. I averaged 34 mpg on my last tank. The sunroof leaks, probably the drainage tubes, and I have no heat (j tubes) and I have no radio since someone broke in and stole it. But she runs like a top...my wish list would be seat heater pads, a cigarette outlet to plug them into, to get my sunroof in good working order, including the crank, and to get heater boxes. This is my only transportation, so I roll my dub 365 days a year. Oh, and my route is 55south to the 5south and vice versa. And my tires are 145/60/15 fronts and 165/60/15 rears on 4.5" sprintstars.

CLASSIC CAR GUY Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:40 pm

VDubTech wrote: derluftwagen wrote: VDubTech wrote: I drive my Bay Window in the winter

What are the bus specs?

'79 Transporter I pulled out of a field in Nashville, Indiana about 3 years ago. It had sat for 11 years rotting away before I drove the 1400+ miles round trip to bring it home.
'79 Bus...custom built bed for camping
Stock 2.0L Hydraulic lifters just turned 82K miles
Stock 6 rib tranny
185/74R14 tires
About 22 MPG
I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere.

When I brought it home:

cool deal for driving it all over the country :lol: , although the pic with it on the single axle trailer towing with a V6 ranger is a little scary though

CLASSIC CAR GUY Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:44 pm

orig 1200 40hp
get driven usually 3-4 times a week to work 40 miles round trip

BlueJayScout Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:20 am

My 67 is driven everyday unless something breaks.

1600sp gets a good number of miles every week..

No heater tubes.. I just roll up the windows and smoke.

Worn out scat/pro-car interior, still nice though.

Bought off Craigslist for a decent price.

Got the swamp cooler at the Texas VW classic last year.

My first car and my baby. :)

Flavio Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:34 am

My 1958 ragtop is my daily, except when heavy rain. It makes about 60 km each day.
It was my father’s daily and since 1964 it has been “modernized” with the front and rear turn signals. At that time, I was a young boy… so, I drove this bug only by night….. good memories !
Now, 40 years later, it was back to life !
Stock and original 36 hp, rebuilt 2 years ago.
1962 tunnel type gearbox (the original one is in a rebuilt process)
Drop spindles
Tyres 165/80/15”

67jason Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:34 am

Current driver is a 63.
1600 DP
Kadrons and hideaway header
145s and 195s tires
stock trans

for the most of the last 8 years my driver was my 67 (currently undergoing a modest refining...beam, wheels, brakes, 2276 and trans etc....should be back on the road late summer or early fall '11)
when it was my driver:
1600SP
165s all the way around
stock trans

Besides bugs, I also have daily driven in the last 12-15 years type 3s, ghias and early and late baywindows and split window buses. In fact I can count the number of cars I have owned with radiators on one hand and still have 2 fingers left over (one of those had a VW emblem on it).

I plan to always be able to daily drive an old VW until I can no longer drive.

Hakka Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:21 am

Lets see.
-car=1963 Beetle. Original l87 pearl white paint and 78 true red insides.

-engine=1776, 110 cam, dual 40 Webers, stuff.
-
trans=og unit with urethane mounts. Yay gear noise.
-
tires=195/55/15 fore 205/65/15 aft

I will add suspension here=4" Wagenwswest beam, 2.5"drop spindles, 1 spline down outback, notched plates.
-mpg=Have not calculated. Probably not great due to the 40s. haha

-miles=On the engine maybe 8k, anyone's guess to the rest of the car. The commute varies greatly.

-satisfaction level=This car is SO much fun. Though with my lifestyle I feel the need for a stock height stock beetle coming on.

Wish list=Every one of my tachometers I have has died. The car is wired for a tach but I simply need to buy one that works. Accessories. Because they are always fun.

Worthless without pictures :wink:

Joey Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:27 am

From Jan. of '08 to May of this year I used to drive 100 miles a day to and from work. The first winter I drove my '79 panel van. Once the weather warmed up I mostly drove my '65 Beetle (1200cc). Once in a while I would take either my '56 Beetle of my '74 bus. The only problem I ever had was the front left wheel bearing went on the '79 one day coming home. The second winter I bought a 2000 Hyundai Accent because I nearly froze to death in the '79 the first winter. I now only drive only 16 miles to and from work so the Hyundai is gone and I'm back to driving air-cooled VWs daily again.

spectre6000 Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:07 am

My bus is my only (running) car and I drive it to and from work (oil and gas investment company) every day. It's about 6 miles each way where I park next to a Jag, a Land Rover, and an Aston Martin.

'62 Panel Bus
RGBs in tact
1600dp
dual 34 EPC
full flow oil filtration (going back stock soon)
ALMOST no rust.

I'm trying to get my '58 German market Beetle done in time for my wedding in April, at which point it will become the daily driver while the bus gets a little attention and fixing up for the honeymoon trip.

Rostig65 Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:31 am

65 everyday driver
1641 DP with Kadrons
freeway flyer
145/65 & 185/65
3500 miles since May

Scott Gray Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:33 am

I drive mine every day.

azbob Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Rostig65 wrote:

Bad ass holiday card right there. :D

Grendelspop Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:58 pm

62 beetle dp. Love it. makes me proud not to be driving a Hummer or some other ubsurd transportation.