TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
dubsteez79 Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:20 am

TDCTDI wrote: The Ghiapet.

1970 Karmann Ghia.
Lifted 5”, General Grabber 205/75/15 tires, stock single port 1,600.
I try to make improvements to it daily, but at least twice a week & try to beat the hell out of it at least once a week.

21,000 miles in a year, not all of it on paved roads.

I dig this. More pictures from the side?

TDCTDI Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:45 pm

dubsteez79 wrote:
I dig this. More pictures from the side?

Thank you sir!

How about sideways? :lol:

And spectator’s view...

TONS more pics of it in my gallery or thread. :oops:

dubsteez79 Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks! Seeing this thing being used like that makes me smile :D And makes me want to go ahead and lift my subaru outback with some meaty all terrains!

TDCTDI Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:52 am

dubsteez79 wrote: Thanks! Seeing this thing being used like that makes me smile :D And makes me want to go ahead and lift my subaru outback with some meaty all terrains!

Thank you sir!

No need to lift the Suby, they're currently one of the most campaigned rallycross cars, check out SCCA rallycross, THSCC rallycross (local SCCA chapter), or Dirtfish on YouTube & you'll be signing up for the next event (Which is next weekend by the way.).
https://www.thscc.com/calendar

Here's a pic of the other participant's cars.

And a fellow VW owner flogging his too.

dubsteez79 Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:55 pm

Thats awesome! I think I sold a couple of porsche phone dials to the guy that owns that beetle!

Dirteater74 Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:36 pm

1960 40 horse.. drive 50 miles round trip to work mon-fri in SoCal..

pdaddy68 Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:53 am

I drove my 1963 that I have had about a year and a half to work today. 30 miles on DARK back roads. I have been bringing her back to life after sitting in a field for 10 years and PO hack jobs. She ran great, a little weak in 4th on the hills but overall did great. I really enjoyed the ride. But I will definitely be ordering my interior stuff sooner than later as well better headlights
. Driver seat is in rough shape.

smeag Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:29 pm

pdaddy68 Thats a good looking ride

pdaddy68 Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:34 pm

smeag wrote: pdaddy68 Thats a good looking ride

Thanks smeag , I’m trying to get her back to her OG look.

gorillasnacks Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:13 pm

Hey everyone! I don't remember if I posted about getting my 67 bug fixed and driving or not, it's been a long time since I've been on this forum. I got it back from the shop in April and I've been driving it quite a bit. It runs and drives like a champ! I took it out the other day and just drove around all day, it was great.
I had new floor pans installed, heater channels, running boards, all rust in the body cut out and new metal welded in, front disc brake conversion, new master cylinder, brake lines, new everything in the rear brakes, new fuel line, new tires, and the electrical system and engine gone thru and fixed where needed. Lots of work!
Anyway, point is, I've been driving my VW a lot, almost daily and I've been really enjoying it!

cb1990s Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:49 am

I daily drive my UK 67. It is completely stock running a reconditioned 1200 engine (it's a Sparkafer or base model). I drive about 50-100 miles each week. It lives outside (I wish I had a garage!). Touchwood it has been super reliable so far and starts in the button. I get about 20 UK mpg in the city and 30 on the motorway (about 25 US).

My wishlist is for a full strip and respray as the current paint job is fine, but could definitely be improved upon (it has had one respray 15 years ago).

wcfvw69 Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:28 pm

That's a beauty right there! ^^^ I love that color too.

supercub Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:12 pm

About a week ago, I parked the '66 in my parents shed for the winter. We had 7" of snow on Halloween and the county spread a fair amount of salt. It was a good year. I covered 12,000 miles in the Beetle including a road trip to California in September. The only big changes to the car over the year were a new set of tires, a Pertronix ignition module after a bout with defective points/condensers, and I made a crude cupholder out of a hunk of 2x4 that fits in the spot where the ash tray goes. For the next several months I'll be driving my '05 Grand Marquis. It's quite a change from the VW. See you next spring.

TheRide Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:09 am

Charlie is my 1967 and will be my daily driver starting in 2020 after 30 years of not having a beetle. He has 149k miles and lots of new parts.

ebanville Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:29 am

I drive my 66 almost daily. Put at least 300 miles on it a week, mostly on highways. I've got a 1914cc Chico built in it so it handles the hills easily. I enjoy passing modern cars that bog down on my route. :-)

Ericlottaallthat Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:47 pm

My 65 bug is my daily at college this semester! Really glad the heater works well.

scottyrocks Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:48 am

pdaddy68 wrote: I drove my 1963 that I have had about a year and a half to work today. 30 miles on DARK back roads. I have been bringing her back to life after sitting in a field for 10 years and PO hack jobs. She ran great, a little weak in 4th on the hills but overall did great. I really enjoyed the ride. But I will definitely be ordering my interior stuff sooner than later as well better headlights
. Driver seat is in rough shape.

I really like this one. What is the color called?

1968BUGMAN Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:06 pm

I'm 16 and in high school and I daily drive a 1968 sunroof (I know this is an early model thread but the late model doesn't have one). Okay, I technically don't drive it everyday, but I don't need to drive somewhere most days. When I do drive it is only 8 miles round trip to my job and back. I do sometimes drive it further though.

It is a dual port, probably a 1600 but I'm not quite sure. I have dual 34 ICT webers, the tires are 175/65's in the front and 195/60's in the back (I think), not sure what the tranny is but probably stock, I get about 25 mpg on the high way but I have never done the math very accurately. Satisfaction level is very high which is why I put up with no air conditioning in 100+ degree so cal summers. Wishlist is massive, but right now bumpers and fog lights, then to fix the rust.

EverettB Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:51 pm

Sounds good. I think "daily driving" counts as driving it whenever you need to so you are covered.

Not exactly the same but there is this Late-Model Beetle thread:

Who drove their bug today?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673024

toxicavenger70 Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:57 am

I am driving it as much as possible. That is when I do not break it.