TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Deano's 63 Double Cab Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
EDragnDean Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Picked up a 63 Double Cab in October. Drive train, brakes, transaxle, and motor are all solid. Needs rust repair to rockers, roof above drivers head, front floor, and lower nose. Accident damage to right rear. Suprisingly rear floors, and cargo bed are solid.

Picked up a bunch of "funky green" rockers, pillars, etc. Planning on sharing the build, and asking lots of questions. Please be patient as time and finances allow.

purplepeopleeater Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:50 pm

Looks pretty solid, wheres the rust :)

EDragnDean Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:01 pm

I stripped the 6 layers of primer, paint, paint, skim coat, primer, to find the OG paint. Unfortunately, the OG grey was sanded to metal in several spots. Looks like I will need a respray.

Bondo using a fiber mesh hid the real story of the rockers. Question for the metal wizards. Rear passenger floors are solid. Are the inner rocker and the outside skin spot welded to the floor as well as the sub frame?

Pillar between cargo bed and rear seat.

Rocker, pillar below cargo bed, fuel dividers.

Directly behind driver's dog leg. Closeout and rocker are rusted, but suprisingly dog leg is solid.

osborns Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Very nice. Please keep us posted.

BumbleBuggy Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:19 pm

I see some funky green panels in your future big bro. You gonna tackle that yourself?

EDragnDean Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:59 am

Got some work done on the drivers side. Only real issue I am having now is the warp on the long panel. The rocker is bowed outward, my thoughts are to go back through and cut out the weld, and reweld with less heat...

Offending metal removed.

Inner rocker welded on.

Sealed the inners with POR 15. Waiting on a green pillar to close up rear rocker.

busmike Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:14 pm

Looks great , just keep after it as time/money alows. I did the metal/body work to my 61dc last year,it was quit a process but very satisfying.Good luck & keep posting.

EDragnDean Fri May 20, 2011 10:46 am

Some Updates...

Replaced corners of the front floors. PO or PPO had fabricated a patch... looks decent from up top, but down below.... this is the passenger side

Driver's side looks good from up top... but :oops: :oops: bondo can make even a homely girl look like the prom queen. High beam switch is about to be pushed through the floor.

Replaced... still need to clean up some of the welds, and patch a couple more holes by the pedal assemblies.

Outriggers and jack points... passenger side... so pretty, looks like the jack point got hit from underneath (4X4?) and crushed the outrigger and B pillar...rusted out from the backside, more bondo...

Driver's side, hole in the B pillar, when I removed the inner rocker, I found the out rigger rusted out from inside the jack point... even some areas that look good needed replacement.

Replaced... gotta love that Funky Green!! 8)

EDragnDean Fri May 20, 2011 10:48 am

Question? What is the exact placement of the High beam switch? Mine looked like it had been relocated a couple times.

busmike Fri May 20, 2011 11:08 am

I put my floor mat in to locate mine

EDragnDean Wed May 25, 2011 8:44 pm

Pop out window on the cargo door of my DC was missing the hinge. Sourced a replacement from WW and measured it in. Found the center of the window opening at approx 7 1/2 inches, and put the window back in to verify the location. Gap between the metal lip for the inner seal and the hinge is 3/16th on the OG hinge that was present on the other side.

I tapped a set of screws to secure the hinge, welded the other holes to the frame, and then removed the screws and welded the holes shut.

After grinding the welds and throwing on a coat of primer.

EDragnDean Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Had a local metal whiz shop work on my gates. Once the gates were blasted, the rust was very evident and the bondo was covering many additional PO gate "modifications." Gates were also pretty warped.

EDragnDean Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:38 pm

KarmannBob Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:01 pm

Those gates look great, nice work.

EDragnDean Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Getting pro help on the rust repair.

Rear body damage, pasenger rear corner, and both rear frame members.

EDragnDean Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:26 pm

EDragnDean Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:34 pm

Original sail with Vin reworked and saved. Frame repaired. Corners fitted.

EDragnDean Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Rust below fuel tank repaired.

EDragnDean Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:52 pm

EDragnDean Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:05 pm