TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Leaking oil...somewhere?
orangabug Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:43 pm

I have a stock 1500 that seems to be leaking oil from somewhere on the top side. Lately I have noticed oil on top of the case in the area behind the fuel pump. Where are the typical places that might cause oil to seep out? Could it be coming from the fuel pump where it connects to the case? How about the generator stand? Is this common... any ideas?

rlarkin Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:01 pm

My guess would be the oil cooler.
Clean off all visible signs and then keep an eye on it.

[email protected] Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:21 am

If its on the top left its Def the oil cooler.
When replacing the seal there is actaully two small rubber ends that go on the bottom of the cooler. You can do it its not that bad I had to do it on my 1500 just a few months back. You need to get an angled wrench though I think its a 10mm open end box wrench you can get one here that will save alot of time/headaches
http://store.cip1.com/Merchant2/merchant.php?Scree...Code=23-02

Or just find one like it or make one (I broke a few trying ) You have to take out the fan housing
Take out the thermastat then
remove the side bolts from the fan shroud
and then disconnect the V-belt and the generator strap.

Its easier too if u remove the decklid cause it gets in the way if ur taking it all the way out. There are different type coolers and seals for the car. I got mine from Kustom 1 and they worked fine.

orangabug Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:27 pm

I cleaned everything up as best I could and ran the engine. I swear that it looks like it's coming from the base of the fuel pump... is this possible? I'll check the oil coooler as well.
thnkx

[email protected] Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:18 pm

it is entirely possible to be leaking from the base of the fuel pump. the oil can migrate up the pushrod and leak out. Also if it turns out no to be that remember this: oil CAN travel up hill. If it is hotter above the oil leak, the oil will try to migrate to the hotter spot.

keifernet Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:43 pm

If is not the gaskets or a cracked furl pump block, then it can come up through the base of the pump like hoxxiii describes.
That is another reason to "pack" the bottom of the pump with wheel bearing grease. it not only lubes the lever but keeps oil from puking out there.