TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: confort/towing Vanagon v. Eurovan
diver110 Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:38 pm

I am still debating which one to go with. In terms of sleeping/living comfort is there any difference? Can the automatic version of both be towed (I plan to get a Toyota 4runner, and in some cases will need to tow the VW as I cannot drive both at once).

IdahoDoug Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:17 pm

Describe "be towed". I'm assuming you're talking about the Van having 2 wheels on the ground and 2 up on a dolly?

DougM

Dobie Dude Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:50 pm

As both are going to be very heavy (you did say living space I take it will be a camper model) I would get a tow dolly with brakes.

Vango Conversions Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:02 am

Either can be towed, the best way is on a dolly with the undriven wheels on the ground. A 4runner probably won't be happy towing either one though, I bet the vans weigh about as much as the 4 runner, depending on the year.

Dobie Dude Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:07 am

I forgot to mention that the 84-91 Vanagons are my choice but either will require alot of hands on upkeep or alot of money to keep in tip top shape. If you are going to have to depend on a shop to do the work then maybe a low milage Eurovan would be better, in either case get documentation on all the work that has been done before you buy. On a side note have you been to Hun's (sp?) restaurant? Is it still there? Ah yes I was born in Balmer many years ago then spent most of my life around Wash DC before moving to be close to family on the other coast. Best of luck on whatever year you choose, just remember that the members of this forum will be your friend when you need one. God Bless and Happy New Year Clint

diver110 Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:30 am

Dobie Dude wrote: I forgot to mention that the 84-91 Vanagons are my choice but either will require alot of hands on upkeep or alot of money to keep in tip top shape. If you are going to have to depend on a shop to do the work then maybe a low milage Eurovan would be better, in either case get documentation on all the work that has been done before you buy. On a side note have you been to Hun's (sp?) restaurant? Is it still there? Ah yes I was born in Balmer many years ago then spent most of my life around Wash DC before moving to be close to family on the other coast. Best of luck on whatever year you choose, just remember that the members of this forum will be your friend when you need one. God Bless and Happy New Year Clint

I think it is spelled Hon's. Do you mean the on in Hamilton? I think it is still there. I ate there once years ago. For a while, some painted the word Hon on a sign on the freeway leading from DC to Baltimore. For those not in the know, Hon is short for Honey, and is commonly used by Batimorians.

diver110 Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:32 am

Vango Conversions wrote: Either can be towed, the best way is on a dolly with the undriven wheels on the ground. A 4runner probably won't be happy towing either one though, I bet the vans weigh about as much as the 4 runner, depending on the year.

Hmm, sounds like another brilliant plan shot to hell. How about relative sleeping comfort?

RCB Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:49 am

diver110 wrote: Vango Conversions wrote: Either can be towed, the best way is on a dolly with the undriven wheels on the ground. A 4runner probably won't be happy towing either one though, I bet the vans weigh about as much as the 4 runner, depending on the year.

Hmm, sounds like another brilliant plan shot to hell. How about relative sleeping comfort?

Depends on if you really like your relatives, if you do let them sleep on the bottom bed but if you dont like em very well let em struggle to get into the top bunk. That only holds true if you choose a Westy :lol:

shepherdsond Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:37 am

I dont remember if you are talking about a camper/westy or van but I will assume camper since you are talking about sleeping. I have both at the moment and there is not alot to choose between them comfort wise.

As I said in your other thread, the Eurovan camper (EVC) is a bit roomier in the living area (59" long compared to 49", the width is the same) than the westy but that is gained at the expense of storage space in the back. The beds are about equaly comfortable although the EVC does come with head rests which is a plus for passengers. The furnace is also a big comfort factor.