TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: retro fit a decel valve
pgtips Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:04 am

Hi,

I've got a 75 fi auto, didn't come with decel valve as standard. I have a 'spare' fi setup from a later model bus (unknown what year) and I have a decel valve in this box of bits.

While I'm rebuilding I'm just wondering if it would be worth fitting the decel valve into the plumbing.

I am concerned it might have a knock on effect elsewhere, i.e is the FI set up to work better on my bus without it, is there anything else I should consider. Looking at posts on this they seem quite bullet proof/low failure instances so I'm not sweating on adding another thing that can go wrong later.

It appears to be a passive device so I am wondering, VW wouldn't have started to fit them unless they felt it was a good idea. Will it help if I do?

thanks
Kevin

germansupplyscott Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 am

pgtips wrote: Hi,

I've got a 75 fi auto, didn't come with decel valve as standard.

are you sure? all injected type 4 bus have a decel valve except it was deleted in the automatic vanagon aircooled.

mattcuddy Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:27 am

pgtips wrote: Hi,I have a 'spare' fi setup from a later model bus (unknown what year) and I have a decel valve in this box of bits.

Don;t know what your spares are, but remember that the decel valve for an auto bus is different from a manual bus.

Westfabulous Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:47 am

I too have an automatic (79), and this is a picture of my engine. You should have something like this, as opposed to the round diaphragm that we are all so familiar with. Circled in red; double click to enlarge:

germansupplyscott Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Westfabulous wrote: You should have something like this

'75 auto uses an completely different decel valve that that one, it's electric.

busdaddy Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Ahhhhh.... the Samba gallery, it's amazing!:

ChinaRider022474 Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:01 pm

What's even more amazing are the prices those auto decel valves (on the left in those pics) command these days. They's NLA for looong time. I grabbed one to rathole. If you have a late auto bus, you need to do the same.

pgtips Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:41 pm

well thats made me double take.

I've got the one on the rhs.

Per BD pic I clearly do have a decel valve but bentley said I didn't (FI section, 10 I think, page 24).

So after reading it didn't I assumed it was the aux air regulator (per bentley also section 10 page 12)

So if that is decel then I do have one. It connects into the air filter S housing.

Something else I have learnt today.

Thank you to all.

busdaddy Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Congratulations, the AAR is the dotty thing that #50 connects to in the diagram BTW :wink:

germansupplyscott Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:38 pm

pgtips wrote: Per BD pic I clearly do have a decel valve but bentley said I didn't

i told you you had one about a week ago in your other thread...

pgtips Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:42 am

germansupplyscott wrote:
i told you you had one about a week ago in your other thread...

Yes you did, I hold my hands up,

I relied on Bentley.

:oops:

Bentley was wrong. Thanks for your patience though, I've learnt quite a lot this week about my bus.

raygreenwood Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:16 pm

In almost all cases, you can use the manual (vacuum decel valve) in place of the electric one. Its just a little trickier to adjust and plumb. Ray