TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
vintagevwnut Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:32 am

Just ordered my bearings so Ill keep ya posted. Used the company from the link in from my first post. Shipped $70.02 for 4, got a set for the trailer I sold to a friend also.

vintagevwnut Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Well the bearings are on back order till mid feb. Good thing this isn't a high need thing.

Ninamashr Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:13 pm

lnrbry wrote: Ninamashr wrote: lnrbry wrote: I had seen an ad for repro's of the ID plate but when i contacted the seller he had none left. may end up using an ID tag off an old sears silvertone radio to get the plates on..

I have one of those plates from that seller, it's still in it's original packing and hasn't been stamped with my vin# yet. I'll go ahead and take some detailed pics and dimensions of it so somebody can print their own or have one made.
That would be VERY nice. BTW i see that you have a Vespa mudguard on your trailer along with a scooter tire. THAT IS A NICE TRAILER! The mudguard really sets it all off.
Have you had any issues with the tire? and when you pulled the bearings, and spacer was there any problems with the spacer? did it wear at all? as i have said above mine will get torn apart and i will measure and post so that the first post will have all this info.
I may also have some modifications to make to mine which i will withhold until i figure it all out :)

Thanks for the compliments. The mudguard/fender is from a 1960's Vespa "small frame" scooter. I have had no issues with the tire I am using. I don't usually add too much weight to the trailer ,but, it rolls fine. I try not to go over 55 mph when I am pulling the trailer. The tire has a 45 mph speed rating I think? When I took my bearings off the 2 spacers were good, I think they had a 3/4" id x 1" od x 3/4" long? One for each side, they are installed between the fork surface and the inner race of the bearing and center the hub of the rim between the forks

vintagevwnut Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:51 pm

The spacers on my fork for the wheel bearings were fine as well. I was looking originaly for a spacer or realy a washer for in the fork pivot. There is a comment on single wheel about a hard felt washer or leather or plastic one that should be there. I don't know if maybe it was something the manufacturer did for certain years or someone did on their own but the owners manual doesn't show anything besides the cast metal parts and a mention of heavy grease used in between. Seems others are confused by that statement on singlewheel also.

Anyone else ever find anything like a felt, leather, or plastic washer in the middle of the fork pivot? What are others experiance in this that have or are pulling a swivel wheel? I'm betting most just grease it and go.

Ninamashr Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:13 pm

When I got my trailer it did not have a large pivot spacer. I can see that a flexible material spacer on the yoke pivot would be useful. You need to have the swivel adjusted JUST right so it’s loose enough to swivel smoothly, but, not loose enough for the swivel to shake uncontrollably when drive down the road. You can’t drive the car when that happens, it’s impossible. Right now I don’t have a spacer but I have it adjusted just right so I have no issues, so far.

vintagevwnut Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:37 pm

I see the same issues in wheel chairs (my profesion). If the caster fork is to loose you get a wobble. along with being to loose the angle the trailer is at will also dictate the tendancy to woble. This is because the wheel is behind the fork pivot, so if the front of the trailer is to high the wheel will actualy want to pivot to the front, but the gound is pulling it back. Reason for that is it actualy sits lower towards the front if the trailer is raised beyond level at the front, and as gravity pushes down it will have a tendency to go towards the front. Now if you lover the front the wheel will want to trail back and not get what some might call death woble on a car. The lower the front the less the tendancy to woble. But I can tell you know that by the angle of your trailer.

vintagevwnut Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:35 pm

So Im stuck on the bearings. They are back ordered again till mid next month from KSCdirect, and they have asked if I want my money back, I told em Im gonna look around for some first so if they ship em first they get em, or I will request my money back if I get em first. I do believe I found the cup and cone at Auto Zone as special order parts. Still need to figure out where I can get the felt seal. Anyone else have any hints?

And I have since sold the green trailer and bought another similar one with less rust on it. lol.

Mack Griffith Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:05 pm

In regards to the Allstate trailer badges on Singlewheel.com, I had several of these made in order to have one for my own trailer. I have several more. If anyone is interested. The cost is $25 shipped within CONUS. International items will be shipped at cost. If someone wants to purchase multiple badges, I am sure we could work something out.

Thanks

Mack (56kabrio)

vintagevwnut Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:34 am

Edited the Bearing section.

vintagevwnut Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:36 am

Also canceled my order from KSC bearings, it had been 2 months and no parts from Timken, and they did not have a answer as to why. Only part to the bearings I have yet to locate is the grease seal. I am going to try to contact locateballbearings.com and see if they can get them.

vintagevwnut Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:51 am

Ok found inner races at auto zone store, and rollers on ebay both by using the #s listed in the first post. Have not found the seal anywhere nor have I found a suitable substitute.

Heres the trailer I am keeping. lol.

I actualy like the rear was cut out and will clean it up and make it work that way. I had that in mind with the last one but wouldnt have done it myself, but since its done, it will stay. It is on the back burner for now, I picked up a '63 Biscayne in trade for my Corvair van and it needs some attention to be dependably road worthy. Then its back to the bug and this trailer

vintagevolks55 Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:58 am

does anyone know who could make brackets similar the the og ones? that bolt from the arms the bumper brackets

vintagevwnut Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:45 pm

If you had a pic and some measurements just about any fab shop local to you could do it if you can't. Originals are cast steel, fabed ones will not be. Also make sure they are thick steel.

copellos Tue May 03, 2011 1:05 pm

ive made a couple of repair parts if anyone cant find replacments. gice me a email

[email protected]

vintagevwnut Tue May 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Copellos, post up what you can provide and I'll put your info in the first post if you'd like.

I'm currently searching for the pieces that will clamp to the bumper brackets, I'd prefer originals. But if I can't locate them I will fab my own, but not everyone has the tools or ability's to do so, so your info and what parts you cant fab would be a good addition to the list.

copellos Tue May 03, 2011 1:44 pm

ive fab up 3 -4 sets of the bumper mts 2 for myself and 1 for sam.
there ot hard just a pain.
ive done axles and i even made a swivel top half for a differt style one.
basicly i can make anything..

john

Envious Tue May 03, 2011 5:27 pm

copellos wrote: ive fab up 3 -4 sets of the bumper mts 2 for myself and 1 for sam.
there ot hard just a pain.
ive done axles and i even made a swivel top half for a differt style one.
basicly i can make anything..

john Have you got a picture of the mounts you made?

vintagevwnut Thu May 12, 2011 9:42 am

Ok, so after a decent amount of time goes by I cant edit my first post. lol.

So from here on out read on to get info. Sorry Charlie.

vintagevwnut Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Never did find seals however I do have a buddy that brought his seals and the spacer into a auto parts supplier and located rubber style seals. And is rolling them. I am re-using the felt seals in the blue trailer I have as they are still usable believe it or not.

I by chance had the cash to register the trailer so I did so. Now that its legal I put the tire/tube, bearings in, cleaned the fork pivot and regreased it, and hooked it up to my '63 Biscayne as my bug is still in pieces. Hopefully I can find the time and motivation to get the bug back together over the coming winter. Took the trailer for a quick spin, towed real nice, had it up to bout 55mph for a short time and it did fine.

vw_hank Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:51 pm

vintagevwnut wrote: Never did find seals however I do have a buddy that brought his seals and the spacer into a auto parts supplier and located rubber style seals. And is rolling them. I am re-using the felt seals in the blue trailer I have as they are still usable believe it or not.

I by chance had the cash to register the trailer so I did so. Now that its legal I put the tire/tube, bearings in, cleaned the fork pivot and regreased it, and hooked it up to my '63 Biscayne as my bug is still in pieces. Hopefully I can find the time and motivation to get the bug back together over the coming winter. Took the trailer for a quick spin, towed real nice, had it up to bout 55mph for a short time and it did fine. I have towed mine on more then one 100+ mile cruises and had it over 85mph Its amazing how well thy do for just having the one little tire..

thats mine on its first cruse after I got it, its now painted to match the car.