TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: HUKI AA-124 Split Window VW ??
Hacksaw-BoB Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:57 pm

HUKI AA-124 Split Window VW ??

I picked this VW toy Split Window VW many years ago. It has all the features of a vintage tin HUKI Split VW toy but with a license plate of 'AA-124".

Normally the HUKI VW toys used a "HK" letters in the license plates. I have asked about its origin to several German Toy Museums and collectors with no explanation. HUKI made a very nice KdF Wagen era Toy the same size in the early 1940s and they had the lithograph design process defined back at those times and produced nice tin VWs in the post war period.

So why this AA-124 Volkswagen with the lithograph design off centered and some what crude like a prototype ??

Can any one help with the origin of this AA-124 Volkswagen??

Hacksaw-BoB Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:36 pm

OK . . After all these years . . . the mystery AA-124 Split Window VW has been solved . . .

Check out this link !!

http://www.vintagevolkswagenmodels.com/split-windo...4-split-vw

IN2VWS Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:52 am

link doesn't work for me Bob

Hacksaw-BoB Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:30 am

Hi John,

The original link above worked OK for me . . .

I just did an edit for the link to be normal size and no color . . .

Give it a try . . BoB

IN2VWS Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks.
Still didn't work on my Mac using Safari, but works in Firefox.

Herbie3Rivers Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:11 pm

With the tampo design being off, I would equate it to just being a mistake model what wasn't loaded properly for the artwork to be applied. I see this a lot with Hot Wheels where the artwork is printed in a different spot of the body or in some cases not at all.

Hacksaw-BoB Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:43 pm

I agree seeing some of the artwork shifted on the tampo designed and processed toys . . . . .

usually of the diecast mass produced toys these days.

This particular AA-124 Split Window VW used a different process to make the toy.

This is a lithograph design printed on a flat piece of tin plate metal.

The lithographed tin plate is placed into a metal die and is pressed into the VW body shape.

If the lithograph tin plate is not aligned in the metal die press correctly . . then all the distortion happens.

But back then in the 1950s . . who cares . . it is just a cheap penny toy !!