TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What do you do about knee pain? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Thanatos Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:06 pm

iowegian wrote: dantrefethen wrote: Thank you all for your stories and advice.

I also work in a kitchen where I am on my feet all day. Twenty one years
for me at the same place.

It is sometimes hard to not show the pain to my fellow workers. When I
have to get on my knees.

Some times it is hard to put socks on. A little thing that I used to take
for granted.

I am going to try the glucosomine. 1500 mg tablets. And Neproxin.

Also I am told that I need to loose weight. At least 30lb. Hard to do
when your are around food all the time.

I don't seem as bad off as some who have responded.

Dan
I know the problem. When I have an unexplained flare-up and can't bend the knee, I take my emergency gout medication: Indomethicin. Ask your Doc about it.
Also (believe it or not) pure cherry juice can help.

I thought it was Sunsweet Prune Juice. :?

Tram Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:18 pm

What do I know about knee pain?

It HURTS!!!

obus Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Those damn Chuck Taylors were the death of me!! I used to wear them all summer long and be standing on my feet for 12 hour days 5-6 days a week. I now have one pair and i only wear them in short spurts maybe 10 times a year! It totally helps to have the rights shoes/sneakers

Bigmeat Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:32 pm

x2 on the shoes. I switched to new balance croos trainers wear at work. It made a big difference. I went to a sport shoe place that gave me the proper shoe for my type of feet.

Major Woody Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Chuck Taylors are the shittiest shoes evar! Kewl looking but they will royally fuck up your feet and your knees.
I am 42. Three years ago I wiped out roller skating at my daughter's birthday party. I was hauling ass and asking for it. Anyway I have had a couple MRIs and my left knee has just enough damage to hurt but not enough to fix it. Helping my kids with their pitching aggravates it--the catcher's crouch is just the worst thing for bad knees. So I do that differently now. Favoring the left knee lit the right knee up too. My dad had a total knee replacement at age 67 but he was overweight so maybe he shouldn't have been surprised. I am not overweight so this is just something I deal with. Glucosamine does nothing for me, but Advil works pretty well.
I have a desk job so that helps. I can't imagine spending another 30 years on my feet all day every day.

sparkleplenty Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:13 pm

Just smash your thumb with a hammer...No more knee pain...Works great.... :lol:

a.wilson Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:53 pm

Sure is interesting facts about shoes being related with knee and other pain.

Couple years ago I developed a soreness in my left knee, where sometimes while bending to lift objects or walking.. would feel like a ligament was damaged and a certain spot in my knee would start hurting. Also accidentally turning my leg the wrong way would aggravaite it enough to hurt. I would often hear what I can describe as sort of a subtle 'crunch' noise when turning my leg at that knee.

I haven't had problems with it for sometime.. but however, all last month (and still today).. been going through extreme lower back & hip pain to the point of not being able to walk straight. (or able to bend or sit for extended periods of time).

All*Stars Converse shoes have been a part of my wear for several years now. I would've never guessed in a million decades that wearing wrong type of shoes could cause what others have described!! :?

Bloog Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:47 am

a.wilson wrote: Sure is interesting facts about shoes being related with knee and other pain.

Couple years ago I developed a soreness in my left knee, where sometimes while bending to lift objects or walking.. would feel like a ligament was damaged and a certain spot in my knee would start hurting. Also accidentally turning my leg the wrong way would aggravaite it enough to hurt. I would often hear what I can describe as sort of a subtle 'crunch' noise when turning my leg at that knee.

I haven't had problems with it for sometime.. but however, all last month (and still today).. been going through extreme lower back & hip pain to the point of not being able to walk straight. (or able to bend or sit for extended periods of time).

All*Stars Converse shoes have been a part of my wear for several years now. I would've never guessed in a million decades that wearing wrong type of shoes could cause what others have described!! :?

And to think you learned it from the world's largest VW forum... :shock:
Wow.

bgwoods Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:43 pm

dantrefethen wrote: Thank you all for your stories and advice.

I also work in a kitchen where I am on my feet all day. Twenty one years
for me at the same place.

It is sometimes hard to not show the pain to my fellow workers. When I
have to get on my knees.

Some times it is hard to put socks on. A little thing that I used to take
for granted.

I am going to try the glucosomine. 1500 mg tablets. And Neproxin.

Also I am told that I need to loose weight. At least 30lb. Hard to do
when your are around food all the time.

I don't seem as bad off as some who have responded.

Dan

The glucosamine route is good, as is the weight loss. Careful with your Naproxen intake over the long term as it can lead predispose to gastritis and ulcers in any age group and if yer over about age 60 it can be tough on the kidneys (damage which may not be evident for many years....). I wouldn't go more than a month or so, or at least I'd make sure you are on an acid blocker like Prilosec or ranitidine.

I hear ya about being around food all the time. When I worked as a baker in my younger years it was impossible!!!

Having dumped a load of weight myself, though, and having had knee problems, I can say that its worth the fight!!!

dantrefethen Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 pm

I don't think that I am really over weight. Five foot four and 220.

The problem is that exercise hurts the knees.

I did start riding my bike again after many years of not.

I was surprised to find that it hurt less than walking.

Maybe I should start swimming?

Dan

Sketchy_1 Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:25 am

dantrefethen wrote: I don't think that I am really over weight. Five foot four and 220. Dan

Most charts would state otherwise. Any weight taken off will improve overall health.

bgwoods Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:49 am

dantrefethen wrote: I don't think that I am really over weight. Five foot four and 220.

Dan

when i trashed both of my knees in the summer of 2001 i decided to figure out the best exercise for knees, and the one i found that was the easiest on the knees and that helped me lose the weight was the stairmaster.

biking is good for the low impact, but with any kind of ligament injury it can be even more painful. if its working and yer exercising, though, go crazy and keep it up.

depending on your muscle mass, you may need to still drop some pounds. i am 6'4" and need to be technically under 205 to be "normal" weight. with that said, my ideal weight rests around 210 or so, a goal i'm not quite reaching as much these days.

79SuperVert Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:01 pm

As a long time bicyclist I want to caution you if you take up biking: don't push hard on the pedals. That's the best way to damage your knees. Use the gears on your bike to keep up a high pedal cadence (rpm's). You get a nice aerobic workout and you keep your joints limber and flexible.

I've been taking glucosamine with chondroitin for about a year now, and I find that while I still injure myself (especially the shoulders), the injuries seem to go away after a few weeks to a few months. It also seems to be keeping my trigger finger and carpal tunnel syndrome from getting worse, but I have some bad weeks and then some good weeks. I'm dreading the day I will have to start taking painkillers. I'm trying to build up my mental resistance to pain and discomfort.

my65vert Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:13 pm

220 on 5' 4" is definetly not right unless you are one huge muscled up dude.

The Sage Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:44 pm

Sketchy_1 wrote: dantrefethen wrote: I don't think that I am really over weight. Five foot four and 220. Dan Most charts would state otherwise. Any weight taken off will improve overall health.

Have you ever considered Yoga?

Most of my pain issues went away when I started doing Yoga, and there are many perks... Take your wife, it makes it more fun during at home practice.

John M. Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:27 pm

my65vert wrote: 220 on 5' 4" is definetly not right unless you are one huge muscled up dude.

Awww come on, let him live the dream. He's just BIG boned, like his mam always said.

MLTIGGER2 Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:37 pm

dantrefethen wrote: I don't think that I am really over weight. Five foot four and 220.

Dan
I'm 6'2 and 180 I was up to 250 and my knees were screaming, you'd be amazed what losing 20 would do for you knees

Jakebob Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 pm

The Sage wrote:

You're doing it wrong.

dantrefethen Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:41 pm

Oh, I admit that I am over weight,

What I meant was REALLY over weight.

As being obese.

Perhaps I am rationalising a bit. You think?

Dan

my65vert Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:46 pm

At 5' 4" you should weigh about 150 unless your a body builder with heavy muscle mass.