TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Robert Chambers - [email protected] Page: 1, 2  Next
Tbone Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:04 pm

I recently bought a door handle from Robert.

I had a very good buying experience. Excellent e-mail communication, the part was as described in the ad; the shipping was quick and packaged neatly!

Thank you Robert.

Ted

tomas persson Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:01 pm

I have bought a complete new interior from Robert. Very fast shipping and accurate e-mail communication.

I might do business again some time...

Kalapaki Papa Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:34 am

I emailed Robert about some parts he had listed....fast to reply and we quickly struck a deal! Parts arrived as described and I'm 100% satisfied. I'd not hesitate to buy from Robert again. :D
Mahalo and Aloha! Jeff

Gray Oval Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Thank you Bob for the horn button. I''ll put it to good use.
A pleasure communicating with you ! - Gary

fyrefast Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:13 am

I bought an oval ashtray from Bob. It arrived promptly and just as described. I am happy with my purchase and would not hesitate to purchase from Bob again.

M0anaMan Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:25 am

Package arrived promptly and very well packaged. Items were exactly as described. Highly recommend seller very prompt and conscientious.

Thank You Bob

belairman Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Purchased a horn button from Robert. Item was as described, good communication, fast shipping. Excellent recommended seller.

Thank you.

56OkrasaPanel Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:29 am

Purchased a chrome tail pipe cover from Bob! Great emails, great prices, super fast shipping and superb packing! I'll certainly buy from him again!

vwone Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Great experience, quick mail out. Purchased a license light which was exactly as described, even better. Can't go wrong with Bob.

dbigamos Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:01 am

ROCKIN deal on the Amber Lights. Thank you for an awesome product at an awesome price...!!!!!!

rcroane Tue May 12, 2015 4:15 pm

I recently bought a Pierburg fuel pump that Bob rebuilt. Beautiful work at a very fair price! This pump is for my spares kit and I take comfort knowing I have such a high quality pump in reserve if ever needed.

rcroane Fri May 22, 2015 2:31 pm

I was so pleased with the rebuilt fuel pump that I purchased from Bob Chambers, I asked him to rebuild a 28 PICT 1 carb for me. This guy is a real craftsman and, once again, did the work for a very fair price.

Bob, I hope you never get out of the VW business....I'll definitely be back!

Thanks,

Bob Roane

rusbus Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:45 am

I purchased a rebuilt 28PCI carburator from Robert. It will be a little while before I can install and test it, but I can say that Robert packaged the carb well, shipped it very quickly, and the workmanship looks extremely nice. This carb looks to be beautifully done, and completely lives up to the description in the ad.

vwkidd Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Robert thanks for the 25HP NOS tail pipe. It was packaged well and arrived timely. Hop to buy from you again.

Fredrok Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:37 pm

Easy transaction, great looking Pierburg pump, great communication. Thanks Bob

ReedoSpeedo Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:33 pm

Update on the rebuilt Pierburg fuel pump I purchased from Bob: It looks beautiful but unfortunately leaks at the top. I made Bob aware of the problem a day ago and he said he will mail me a new top. I will update this post with the result.

Fredrok Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:21 pm

ReedoSpeedo wrote: Update on the rebuilt Pierburg fuel pump I purchased from Bob: It looks beautiful but unfortunately leaks at the top. I made Bob aware of the problem a day ago and he said he will mail me a new top. I will update this post with the result.

Chances are, the delivery valve plate on top has been sucked down by the screws through the years and is bottoming out on the body, keeping it from applying enough pressure on the gasket/diaphragm to seal. But Ultimately is due to the shitty gasket kits that are produced these days.

You can try removing it and surface the edges a bit on a sander and take a little meat off the corners and reinstall. But if that doesn't work, disassemble again, apply an extremely, super, micro thin layer of Permatex 80019 (impervious to fuel) on the gasket and diaphragm edge, reassemble and let sit 12+hrs. In the end, that's what worked for me.

ReedoSpeedo Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Fredrok wrote: ReedoSpeedo wrote: Update on the rebuilt Pierburg fuel pump I purchased from Bob: It looks beautiful but unfortunately leaks at the top. I made Bob aware of the problem a day ago and he said he will mail me a new top. I will update this post with the result.

Chances are, the delivery valve plate on top has been sucked down by the screws through the years and is bottoming out on the body, keeping it from applying enough pressure on the gasket/diaphragm to seal. But Ultimately is due to the shitty gasket kits that are produced these days.

You can try removing it and surface the edges a bit on a sander and take a little meat off the corners and reinstall. But if that doesn't work, disassemble again, apply an extremely, super, micro thin layer of Permatex 80019 (impervious to fuel) on the gasket and diaphragm edge, reassemble and let sit 12+hrs. In the end, that's what worked for me.

I've attached a pic.

Firstly, Bob informed me the replacement top shipped today.

Secondly, Fredrok, thank you very much for taking the time to provide advice.
What you mention about the plate bottoming out at the corners looks to be exactly what is also happening to mine. This leads me to believe a replacement top will not solve the problem, but maybe it is a better starting point.
I was thinking about cutting a thicker gasket and using sealant as well. I have Permatex 85420 which is impervious to fuel like 80019. The only difference between the two is one needs to allow 85420 to dry longer before assembling the parts.

Fredrok, did you also sand the corners a bit, or go straight to the sealant?

Thanks,
Reed

Fredrok Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi Reed,

Bob was kind enough to send me a top as well, but it was same as the problem top I had. Yes, I just touched the corners on my bench grinder; doesn't take much as you would know. I tried that first and got it tight without the corners touching but still no help. Only after I used sealant, did it help and you have to be real careful with the amount as you don't want to seal the small passage hole to the valve. (I removed the brass bolt and reached in there with a 90' pick after assembly to make sure it was clear.)

The proper gasket would do the trick I'll bet. If you do some searching, you'll find many that are unhappy with the gasket kit options for these pumps anymore. Also, do make sure you check your fuel pressure as I have 3 gaskets under it to get the psi down to 2.8 from 4+.

ReedoSpeedo Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:28 pm

Fredrok wrote: Hi Reed,

Bob was kind enough to send me a top as well, but it was same as the problem top I had. Yes, I just touched the corners on my bench grinder; doesn't take much as you would know. I tried that first and got it tight without the corners touching but still no help. Only after I used sealant, did it help and you have to be real careful with the amount as you don't want to seal the small passage hole to the valve. (I removed the brass bolt and reached in there with a 90' pick after assembly to make sure it was clear.)

The proper gasket would do the trick I'll bet. If you do some searching, you'll find many that are unhappy with the gasket kit options for these pumps anymore. Also, do make sure you check your fuel pressure as I have 3 gaskets under it to get the psi down to 2.8 from 4+.

Hi Fredrok,
Thanks for the heads-up about not blocking the passage hole.
I have read all the complaints on the current gasket kits but was assuming they were in regards to the larger main diaphragm, which seems to be the biggest point of failure.
I will use your sealant technique on the upper gasket and fingers crossed it will work.
Yes, the first thing I did was add gaskets to drop the fuel pressure from 5 to 3. Although my pump required a lot more than 3 gaskets.
Thanks again for your time. -Reed