TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My unrestored 59 Low light Ghia Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
grailoc Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:47 am

Hi everyone,

I was watching some other presentations like the 56 Renie's LL, The Edmondson Testimony, and it made me want to present mine.

So here we go, I bought it 6 years ago when I moved from France to Quebec.
That is the 1st thing I bought after I got my new job here in QC. I remember I watched that car before my move (Nov 2004) and told myself that if it was still for sale when I will be established here in Canada I would buy. Trust me or not but this is what happened :)
My parents who are still in France could not understand it and thought I was completely mad :).

The car was for sale in Houston but spent all of its live in Salem (NH).
I do not know much about its history but as far as I know based on a copy of the original title it looks like the car was owned by probably one person, a Lady (Mrs Doussette) from Salem.
The Ladie probably passed away near 2003 and his son (I think) aquired it, so the car moved to Detroy area to be sold in houston right after.
That is something I would have loved to confirm but unfortunatelly it always remained at the assumption and deduction level.

So here is when I got the car, Based on its shape I think this is one of the rare moment when the car saw the snow and salt:

The 1st time I could take a picture of a front face of LL, and it was mine:

John Moxon Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:07 am

It's a good looking original Jerome. You are a lucky man :)

The seats and door panels look just like new.

kingkarmann Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:28 am

Congrats!! 8)

Yours reminds me very much of a former club member of ours. A 1956 coupe

Here's a pic of Aarons:

grailoc Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:05 am

John Moxon wrote:
The seats and door panels look just like new.

The interior is indeed in very good shape, the only pieces that would need a replacement are the wall kick panels that were made of plastic so over time they completely broken up.
If am not wrong Guys those pieces do not exist in repro right ?

ScottDoonan Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:07 am

Very nice lowlight. Congratulations.....

grailoc Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:13 am

That`s when I got the car in May 2005:

after a good waxing the color came out nicelly:

the front right turn signal glass was broken so I changed it with another one I found here on the site:

grailoc Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:18 am

I cleaned up the interior and removed the front seats for a complete wash:

Here is the patern details of the vinil and mat:

grailoc Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:20 am

The driver seat still has this little hole, so if someone has a little piece of the same material I would be happy to buy few inches:

Fonz Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:24 am

Very nice. 8)

lurkinstock Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:50 pm

very nice og look specimen. You are lucky, enjoy it.

grailoc Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks Guys for the comments I am proud of it.

Overtime I wanted white walls for it so I bought 5.60x15 firestone with white walls. My 2 prefered pics of the car

I did not know if white wall tires were originally mounted on it but when I got the BC I got the clear confirmation that it was the case.
The BC confirms also that the car spent its life on US East side since it has been delivered in Grand Rapid (Michigan)

The BC confirmed as well that the engine in place is the OG one:

lurkinstock Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Grailoc, how long did it take you to get the BC? just curious!

grailoc Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:16 pm

lurkinstock wrote: Grailoc, how long did it take you to get the BC? just curious!

took about 4 weeks something like that.

Kais Collection Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:44 am

Very very nice car!

garetlaw Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:19 pm

... I have a small roll of material that came with a 59 parts car.. I can take a better pic later to see how close a match it is... i think the green may be the light. the seats that came out of it looked similar to yours as well...

grailoc Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:50 am

garetlaw wrote: ... I have a small roll of material that came with a 59 parts car.. I can take a better pic later to see how close a match it is... i think the green may be the light. the seats that came out of it looked similar to yours as well...

Yeah it would be great if you could make a closer comparison between your material and the picture of my seat.
I only need few inches scare so anything left will interest me.

Thanks in advance for help.

70 140 Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:27 am

Is it an original paint car?

garetlaw Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:39 pm

grailoc: I have your email still - will take a pic and send -thx

Altema Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:53 am

70 140 wrote: Is it an original paint car?
I was curious about that too. I don't know if the nostril screens are originally body color.

Paul

grailoc Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Altema wrote: 70 140 wrote: Is it an original paint car?
I was curious about that too. I don't know if the nostril screens are originally body color.

Paul

The car received a coat of paint during its live. So propbably that the grills were repainted at that time.
However, interior paint is original with no fading.