TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Australia to California shipping?
Indetrucks Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:41 am

Has anyone here shipped or know of someone who has shipped an older car from Australia to the States (California Preferably).
It’s an all original running 1962 right hand drive, does anyone know the stipulations, legalities or problems I might face?
Should I contact a shipper in Australia or California? What else do I need to do on my end to make this as painless as possible?
Any leads on a reliable Shipping company?

I hear of horror stories with these cars getting stuck at the docks and not claimed for whatever reasons.

Thanks all :)

EverettB Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:45 am

I'd probably ask this guy
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=27124

I believe he has shipped over a number of cars and tons of parts.

Roadcow Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:06 pm

I use Sea Shipping Line out of Oakland but they have a L.A. agent. I was going to ship the other way but they can help.

mskhan Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi,

I'm interested in importing my car from Pakistan to Texas. Its an RHD, 1968. I've spoken to the local DMV office and they gave me a form to fill out when I have the car here and need to register it. They have no problem with it being RHD. Texas has a state inspection requirement - my car being more than 30 years old doesn't need to pass the emissions test but does need to pass the other parts. Here is a link for the NHTSA site: http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

they have no strict requirements but it'll give you an idea on the fee charged and other legal info.

I'm now stuck on the shipment part. Where do I begin?

Could you please help me find info on reliable shipping as well? I would like to have something close to Houston TX but can go as far out as Louisiana ............... or maybe even farther if there is no other option.

Thanks

Thanks

o neill sydney Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:46 pm

I am in sydney australia, i am trying to get some cost and contacts to purchase a type 2 kombi 1.8l from south america. i assume they are all left hand drive. has anyone on the forum ever shipped one to australia?
what do they cost in mexico or brazil relatively new (30,000 km)?
what are the technical things to look out for?
i want first to see a few on the internet i am intrested in and then fly over and purchase it and then ship it to australia.
it all sounds simple but there are a lot of pit falls i know i have "travelled that road before" when i moved here and imported cars a few months ago.

thanks

john o neill